• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Which Link Has the Worst Life

EzikielofHyrule

Ezikiel of Hyrule
HEAVY OOT SPOILERS, SOME MM SPOILERS

Recently I have been debating on which Link has the worst life. All of the Links throughout history have been thrust into a great responsibility without any choice in the matter but the one who had the worst of it all was OoT, MM Link. I say this because this Link had no choice but to blindly do what he was told from the very beginning.

To start off the game Link, who is an orphaned child, is woken up by Navi, who tells him that he is summoned by The Great Deku Tree. When he tries to however you are confronted by Mido, who it becomes apparent has bullied Link his whole life. Once he meets The Great Deku Tree (the only parental figure in the Kokiri Race) tells Link that he is dying and that Link must venture inside him and vanquish the evil that ails him. Link of course does this having no choice because The Great Deku tree is the Deity of the Kokiris and he would be shunned if he refused the request. Link does so to no avail and when he exits the Great Deku Tree he explains with his last dying breaths that Links entire life has been a lie and he is not one of the Kokiri. He is then told that a great evil threatens the land and told to go see the princess. After the Great Deku Tree Dies Link is instantly blamed because he was the last person to see him. Link then flees Kokiri Village to escape the shame and carry out the dying request of The Great Deku Tree.

When Link finally makes it to the princess she shows him a man who she believes is evil and plans too take over Hyrule. She then proceeds to beg Link repeatedly to help her until has no choice but to accept. Link then proceeds to to search for the sacred stones used to open the secret chamber to the Master Sword, each of which he has to put his life on the line to save races he didnt even know existed until now to get. Once he has the stone he goes to tell Zelda the news but it is already to late and Ganondorf has found them out. he watches helplessly as Zelda flees and Ganondorf goes after them. Once he opens the gate and gets the Master Sword Ganondorf reveals himself as they are being transported into the sacred realm and gains power over the Triforce and uses it to take control over Hyrule while Link who is not yet old enough to be the Hero of Time goes into a 7 year coma in the Spirit Realm. When he is awakened the land he knew for only a short amount of time is completely changed an evil has spread across the land. Link now being 17 years old still has the mind of his 10 year old self is then given the task of going around the world is search of the Five Sages who he must awaken by defeating the Great Evils across the land. Of these include his best friend and his fiance(a spot he was forced into, to fulfill Zelda's request), not to mention that he will never see anyone who is a sage again. Once he beats Ganondorf, Ganondorf transforms into a towing beast called Ganon and Link is forced to fight him as well. When Link defeats Ganon he learns that Zelda is a Sage as well and that their relationship could never be so she sends him back to the past to live his childhood.

In this new timeline Zelda is able to convince her dad that Ganondorf is evil and there is no need for Link to go on his quest so he never meets Navi. He ends up missing Navi and starts to search for her in the forest when he gets mugged by some kid in a creepy mask who steals the only item to remind him of his other life. Link then proceeds to chase the kid into a tree trunk where he is transported into a parallel dimension that was worse off than his own. He is knocked out from the fall and has a nightmare, when he wakes up he is now a member of a new race he never met before. When he escapes the area he is in he is confronted by The Happy Mask Salesmen, a creepy, bipolar salesmen who extorts you throughout the entirety of the game and seems to know about everything that is going on and why. The new world Link is in is going to die in three days from the moon crashing into the world and destroying everything. In that time he has to wake the four giants to stop the moon and retrieve the mask that the kid was wearing for the happy mask salesmen. Also in this amount of time he is tasked with making everyones life better, running erarnds, stopping an alien invation, saving a monkey, a princess, a witch, and countless other things, putting the great faries back together, making a baby stop crying, win a race, reuniting loved ones, wining another race, etc etc etc.

When it is all said and done with he is transported back into the forest to continue looking for Navi, who he never finds, and Link eventually turns into a stalfos that we know as the Hero's Shade.

"Anybody who comes into the forest will be lost. Everybody will become a Stalfos. Everybody, Stalfos"

What are your thoughts?
Which Link do you think has the worst life?

Sorry that I got a little lazy with the Major's Mask section, it would have been ridiculously long otherwise

Last edited:

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
Good analysis. I think the Link in ALTTP had it bad too. I only beat ALTTP and LA, so excuse me for my limited knowledge of him. But he was escentially forced into his situation too and in the end, he left Hyrule to fight once again for a place that is later revealed to be non-existant. The end to LA is definately one that left me feeling depressed, even with the whale and the girl at the end.

Last edited:

octorok74

TETTAC
I like your idea here, but I must say that I doubt Link would get lost in the woods. And that also only applies to the Lost Woods, there are plenty of other forests.

I personally think the Link from the Oracle games had it the worst. For one thing, in Oracle of Seasons not only did Link have to change the seasons pretty often which would undoubtedly anger villagers, but he had to go to Subrosia where he has no protection from heat and somehow survives and had to dig for ore chunks since rupees are worthless there. Then he has to face some strange knight who can turn into a dragon. Then comes OoA where he has to save Nayru from the crazy demon lady who possessed her, while dealing with Ralph and his foolish attempts to save his childhood friend. Link ends up getting shipwrecked on an island with the Tokay who rob him on sight. After riding back to the mainland on a swimming dodongo he was has to face Veran for the first time by pelting Nayru with seeds. All the while he is travelling from past to present only to climb to the top of tower, face Veran again, climb down the tower, face Veran again for a third time, and lastly if you use link codes you Link not only faces Koume and Kotake, but Ganondorf himself only to get a simple kiss on the cheek from Zelda. Also, Link was travelling to what I believe was Hyrule Castle, only to be summoned by the Triforce and dropped into each situation. So the Triforce was kind of a jerk.

Link had it tremendously rough in the Oracle games and in my opinion more than others.

Last edited:
I'll agree with the majority that OoT Link/ Hero of Time had the roughest deal, but i also think Wind Waker Link had it pretty tough.

Hyrule went a very long time without a hero, fell into darkness and had its history erased with the great flood ushering in a new generation and way of life, our new Link, sets out n a noble adventure to rescue his sister only to be meet deities and god-like characters who are gutted he isn't someone else. I'm sure the Deku Tree asked King of Red Lions in hylian if WW link was the hero of time. He was constantly living in OoT Link's shadow and i felt really sorry for him and I'm sure I heard him cringe when the King of Red Lions dubbed him 'Hero of Wind'... poor guy.

Now looking at it OOT and MM link had a very terrible life!

I mean the other links don't have it easy either but come on I mean he was basically an orphan pretending to be a forest child in a place where he wasn't accepted and then had to go on a long hard quest to only be sent back in time and the events in MM took place. So many bad things happened to him in that game I can't even list them :(

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
OoT/MM Link, hands down...not only does he have all the hardships outlined in the OP, but we all saw that video on the newsfeed quite some time ago about his non existant love life. While the video was hilarious, I pity him greatly. SS/MC/AoL Links look like they get the girl at the end, but OoT/MM Link dies a virgin. That would suck.

Non-Epic

Resident Cucco Kicker
Labrynna, because Hyrule is too mainstream.
I'm not sure if you know this, (I think it was in the Historia) but ALTTP Link was confirmed to go through ALTTP > OOA/OOS > LA which is just a crazy amount of work and adventuring. After getting sent off on a quest, he has a little time of peace before being sent to other countries in which he's not a hero. He has to fight so much evil it's ridiculous, than fight Ganon at full power! Than he's trapped in a dream where finds friends, and has to throw it all a way to save the Wind Fish. Plus, we don't know if he survived. And no family.

OoT/MM Link has it so brutal, and that's why I've always liked him for doing whatever he wants.

Last edited:

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I agree that OoT link has the worst life. Both parents died, he's an outcast where he lives, he has little friends, he has to go back in time so no one knows of his great triumph, then his closest companion leaves him, he gets his horse stolen and he is thrust into another world that is demented and doomed and is forced to save this as well. That would suck

MM Link!
-Orphan.
-Outcast, doesn't have a fairy.
-Has little friends.
-Saves Hyrule, goes back in time, no one remembers it. He then goes looking for a friend, and gets sucked into another adventure where he saves the world, and still doesn't get the glory.

Yeah, that'd suck.

I personally would rather have that life than the WW Link life though. My sister means the world to me, and I wouldn't be able to live without her. Granted, I would get her back in the end, but even a short period of time without her would be horrible. )':

Fig

The Altruist
It would probably be Link from Ocarina of Time. In fact, there's a thread somewhere here in the forums, which has hardcore evidence of the Link from Ocarina of Time having a hard life in both Child and Adult Timelines. It just isn't fair! :'c

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
OOT link has the worst life. He is bullied, he saves a future version of hyrule which has no impact on anybody in his own time and then Zelda sends him back to be a child again. He then loses his friend and never finds her and then he probably dies in the woods.

M

Malladus

MM because he has to constantly see the pain of people over and over and its a bit like groundhog day. It would be very boring. Also he has saved hyrule and nobody knows and he has no freinds because navi left him

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom