• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which gaming franchises have you given up on?

Metroid- i'll only go back if they reboot it. I dont want to play a franchise where Other M is canon

Resident Evil- if 7 is where the series is going then i can no longer follow it. I cant do first person and the generic horror themes dont interest me.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Having gone and replayed SC5, I have zero hope for Soul Calibur series and RIP in pieces. Jesus Christ what a ****show. 2 and 3 were god tier and they just ****ed up with 4. Then 5 got affected by the Tsunami alongside Namco meddling.

a 3rd installment of the Chrono Trigger series. Alas, will never happen. While I'm dreaming, a follow-up to Legend of Dragoon would be welcome too, but that'll never happen either.

I'm pretty confident I would like most Final Fantasy games, but I don't see myself ever loving them like I do FF7 and to a lesser extent 8.

Mario, Pokemon, Metal Gear, Soul Calibur, and Star Fox. There are probably more that I forgot about, but the current state of these franchises are the most soul crushing for me.

Fallout, Zelda, and Mortal Kombat are likely to end up on this list in the future, but I'm still in the denial/hopeful phase.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Metroid- i'll only go back if they reboot it. I dont want to play a franchise where Other M is canon

Resident Evil- if 7 is where the series is going then i can no longer follow it. I cant do first person and the generic horror themes dont interest me.
Having played RE7 with a friend(to completion).

RE7 plays more like a Resident Evil game than 4, 5, and 6. It is anything but a "generic horror game". It simultaneously goes back to its roots while providing something new to the entire genre. Even though the game is first person, it plays exactly like REmake on the GameCube actually. Slow paced combat that causes stress. It doesn't rely entirely on jump scares, like other horror games. It also tells a very interesting and unique story with a ton of personality.

For me, I have given up on:

Fallout: they have strayed far too much away from its RPG roots with 4.
Star Fox: it seems they can do nothing right with this series.... Just put it out of its misery unless they want to take the time to have good ideas and design.
NSMB: just die.
Halo: Lost interest after 3
All of Rare: I could not care less about Rare now. Banjo, Conker, and all of the great games they made just died.

Having played RE7 with a friend(to completion).

RE7 plays more like a Resident Evil game than 4, 5, and 6. It is anything but a "generic horror game". It simultaneously goes back to its roots while providing something new to the entire genre. Even though the game is first person, it plays exactly like REmake on the GameCube actually. Slow paced combat that causes stress. It doesn't rely entirely on jump scares, like other horror games. It also tells a very interesting and unique story with a ton of personality.

For me, I have given up on:

Fallout: they have strayed far too much away from its RPG roots with 4.
Star Fox: it seems they can do nothing right with this series.... Just put it out of its misery unless they want to take the time to have good ideas and design.
NSMB: just die.
Halo: Lost interest after 3
All of Rare: I could not care less about Rare now. Banjo, Conker, and all of the great games they made just died.

I liked 4&6.

By generic i mean I've seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre and its ilk.

Ive played it via a friend recently too. I dont like first person games. I dont like the lack of my favourite characters and the Bakers feel dull as hell.
Found footage, another overused horror staple, also bugs the hell out of me so the video tapes did nothing for me.

Just didnt enjoy what i played of it. It was exactly as i expected and what i expected wasnt what i wanted.

Pokemon - just not interested anymore in it.
Mario Party - After MP5 (the peak of the series) I totally lost interest in the IP.
Ninja Gaiden - The NES originals were great. I never got into the 3D reboot series though that came decades later. Honestly not intersted in it. it's not the same. The NES games had a better story too.

By generic i mean I've seen Texas Chainsaw Massacre and its ilk.
To me horror is totally different from slasher movies. A good horror does not have to be violent at all. Just really scary. I think RE7 does not realise this important point.
I am a fan of the good non voilent horror. The gross violence just ruins to for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom