• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time When Kokiri Leave the Forest

initialDable

going deku
It is said that in OOT the Kokiri may not leave the forest because they would die yet they do leave at the end of the game for the party at Lon Lon Ranch. I began to think that it may be a story that the Great Deku Tree told the Kokiri so they don't get killed by dangerous monsters outside of the forest. It's not like they just leave the forest and the minute they step out just drop dead.

Any thought?

It's not like they just leave the forest and the minute they step out just drop dead.
That reminds me of the story of Adam & Eve, actually. God said that if they eat the fruit they'll die, but it wasn't instantaneous--they just became mortal. It could be the same concept. Or it could just be a way for the Great Deku Tree to protect them, by creating this myth to keep them within the forest.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
I would think that the Great Deku Tree would tell the Kokiri children that for their own safety. Since he can not just get up and see where certain people are, it would probably be difficult for him to know of their safety and well-being. Then again, the Great Deku Tree probably can sense each and every child and I honestly think that maybe something could happen to him, if something were to happen to one of the Kokiri. Overall, I think it's just to keep everyone safe and out of harm's way.

D

Dimitri_Dodongo

It may perhaps be something to do with the energies they need to survive off the Deku Tree itself. Then again, the poor twig kinda died and took seven years for another sprouting to shoot... so perhaps that's not so sound of a theory after all. (Yay self contradiction D=)

Actually, a tad more sound... If the Kokiri leave the forest (As per the ending credits), a giant moon appears that will crash in three days into a strange land. Yeah.. Lets go with that one instead. xD

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I actually think it's that if they leave the forest, they will grow old and eventually die. If they stay in the forest, they will remain as children.

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
That reminds me of the story of Adam & Eve, actually. God said that if they eat the fruit they'll die, but it wasn't instantaneous--they just became mortal. It could be the same concept. Or it could just be a way for the Great Deku Tree to protect them, by creating this myth to keep them within the forest.

Thats a good example, remember the Kokiris are like Great Deku Tree's kids. Wouldnt a father manipulate his kids to do the right.:hmm:

Ex: Go to sleep son or the monster will eat you.

The dad lied to the son but only to get the son to go to sleep, no harm done:nod:

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I always had an alternative theory. The reason that the Kokiri would die outside the forest, was because of the evil that lurked outside the forest (perhaps the Stalchildren, perhaps something else). There was no mention of whether it had always been such that the Kokiri shouldn't leave, or whether it was a recent edict from the Deku Tree.

I think that once the land was cleansed of evil, it was safe for them to leave the forest. It might also be that Saria lent them the power to leave the forest in order to celebrate with everyone. Perhaps she could do that as the Forest Sage.

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I would think that the Great Deku Tree would tell the Kokiri children that for their own safety. Since he can not just get up and see where certain people are, it would probably be difficult for him to know of their safety and well-being. Then again, the Great Deku Tree probably can sense each and every child and I honestly think that maybe something could happen to him, if something were to happen to one of the Kokiri. Overall, I think it's just to keep everyone safe and out of harm's way.

I agree with you an many points but wouldn't the Kokiri if they left the forest, grow old and die, no matter (I think someone else already said that) but anyways great theory.

OotLord1003

Young Link
What my theorie is is that, it's kind of a joke.
When they leave, they die. Which means they grow up, live to their death
The kokiri forest is a place where you don't grow up, so you never die. Get it?

P

princess-kikyo

I think with the Era of Peace and Harmony, that the kokiri were able to go, or maybe, so they could leave the Deku tree magically protects them. I don't really know.

But I'd say mainly due to the whole Peace Era thing. :)

Djinn

and Tonic
In an interview a couple years ago Aonuma mentioned something on the Koroks being the forms Kokiri take when leaving he forest

"We created the Rito as the evolved form of the Zora that appeared in "Ocarina of Time" and the Korogs as what the Kokiri became once they left the forest. They appear different, but they have inherited their blood." —Eiji Aonuma

It could be possible that if they leave the forest for too long they "loose themselves" or stop being a Kokiri and take on a strange wooden form. Then they will not be a Kokiri but something else, the Kokiri that wondered out from the forest is essentially dead and they are now this Korok. Why the transformation happens might have something to do with the forest being the Deku Tree's domain and while anything is within it, they are inside his power. But outside of the forest they are away from his influence, or if they are just away from it for too long. Since they are the creations of the Deku TRee it makes sense that their "real" form is something more wooden and related to the forest, and that the Hylian child look is more of an enchantment given to them.
"Oh, you have a fairy now?! That's great, Link! What? You've been called by the Great Deku Tree? What an honor! He may give you a special gift! Tee hee! That's because the Great Deku Tree is our father, the forest guardian, and he gave life to all of us Kokiri!" — Kokiri
While the Koroks are called the spirits of the forest on a few occasions.
"Well, then, Link... These are the Koroks -- the spirits of the forest. [...] Now they fear people...but to me, they will ever be my cherished little children." — Great Deku Tree
The Koroks spend most of the year away from the forest haven, only to return for one day for their celebration. But the Kokiri only leave for the Lon Lon Ranch for a night, so there might be no problems for them as long as they return quickly enough.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
i always thought of it as most likely a kind of old wives tale told by the Deku Tree to try and keep the Kokiri close so he could protect them. Otherwise beyond the forest he has no control. i do think it is interesting that you see the Kokiri at the end of OOT outside the forest which proves that they dont actually die or at least not immediately.

I always had an alternative theory. The reason that the Kokiri would die outside the forest, was because of the evil that lurked outside the forest (perhaps the Stalchildren, perhaps something else). There was no mention of whether it had always been such that the Kokiri shouldn't leave, or whether it was a recent edict from the Deku Tree.

I think that once the land was cleansed of evil, it was safe for them to leave the forest. It might also be that Saria lent them the power to leave the forest in order to celebrate with everyone. Perhaps she could do that as the Forest Sage.
I'll have to agree with this one. Makes the most sense in relation to the events in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom