• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time When Did You Know It Was Epic?

TopherD05

Hyrulian Knight
this is a tough one for me since i can't exactly remember but i remember first hearing about it and how it was going to be the first 3D Zelda. I had no clue what to expect from the game and wasn't the biggest fan of the 2D Zelda games at the time but i think remembered seeing some trailers or footage and just had to give it a shot. I started to play the game and was really enjoying the game play and the graphics at the time especially since the last Zelda games i had seen were Zelda I and II.

I don't think that i really knew it was epic though until i entered the temple of time and grabbed the master sword from the pedestal as a kid and 7 years passed and i was an adult. that just blew my mind because i had never seen a game up to that time with that element in it. From that point it just keep getting better and better. I was hooked on the Zelda series since that point.

AllieHaxorNova

Nine Tailed Hannya.
Well I thought it got good right after the Great Deku Tree. because after i beat him, I had a feeling the whole game would be awesome.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Leading up to it, I was excited for the release as I loved Zelda prior to it, but the epic scope of the title hit me at three points.

1 - Entering Hyrule Field for the first time. It's small in comparison to open environments in games now, but then it was truly something to behold. Actually having the sun set on you as you traversed the terrain was unbelievable. The sheer size of that field was astounding. To see a hub world (really, that's all it is) presented this way was revolutionary and said "this is a big, epic game you've got here."

2 - Entering Hyrule Market after transforming into an adult. The game really felt over and done with after getting the three spiritual stones. Most games prior would have had that, and nothing more. I was used to the idea that more was to come after the similar structure presented in ALTTP though. I knew more was to come as the titular Ocarina of Time had yet to play a part in the game. The transformation to an adult was nice, but it didn't hit me then as it hit others. What really hit me was coming back outside to see the change Hyrule had gone through. The howling wind, the crows cawing, the redeads screaming and latching themselves onto me... Again, I had seen a transformation of one world into another in ALTTP before, but for some reason this resonated. It felt like something more terrible had happened, and the worst was yet to come. I'll admit I was a bit let down to see this disaster was not as widespread as the Dark World in ALTTP was, but the transformation of the environment after leaving the temple said "this is epic."

3 - The end of the game. During the end credits, I was able to reflect back on what had just happened, and I felt like the whole final boss battle summed it up. It was a pulse pounding, cinematic experience. It really summed up the whole game to me. Combined with the realization that I had used my half-days off in high school to just come home and play OoT until dark, it finally sunk in just how epic the title was, and how much it affected me, and video games in general. It was a game-changer. It was something to experience, not just tell people about.

When people ask what's my favourite Zelda title, and I don't list OoT first, they're confused. The game is good, don't get me wrong, but I've come to love other titles more for what the experience out of time holds (ie - if I played through each game for the first time today). In a specific time period though, the memories of OoT outweigh those of any other for me, and truly make the game epic.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
I was too young at the time to have had a lightbulb moment, because as a little kid absolutely everything seems epic. My parents were already into the series, and growing up I sort of just always remember Zelda being around (along with Sonic and Mario Kart and Bomberman), and so I don't even have a defining memory that I can point to it and say "this is when I started playing Zelda". Because of this, I was never really in any doubt as a kid that any new Zelda game wouldn't be epic as the one before it, the thought never occured to me, and so I guess my answer is: the moment we got the game out of the box. Heck, the moment I saw the box myself, the goldy-brown and black screenshots just ooze epicness.

"Dad, what's that?"
"Another Zelda game, it's 3D"
".....COOL, can we play it?"
"Sure."
*IS BLASTED AWAY FROM THE SCREEN as the epicness begins. Again.*

Hero of…. #s, I guess
I guess for me it was epic first stepping onto Hyrule Field and seeing all the open opportunities to explore.

And then the epicness doubled -- nay, tripled -- when I opened the Door of Time and pulled the Master Sword...

Kybyrian

For me, I think I noticed the game was epic when I realized that no matter what other game I played, Ocarina of Time still held that special place in my heart. Ocarina of Time is one of those games that you just don't forget no matter what. It's the game that got me involved in this community and the Zelda series as a whole. I knew that Ocarina of Time was truly my favorite Zelda game - possibly my favorite video game - after I began going back to Ocarina of Time no matter what I played.
Sometimes I play video games and I just can't even bring myself to finish it because I go on a little break, or I just kind of quit playing them and never return to them. Ocarina of Time was never like that, and it's a game that replayed countless times and never got bored of. Ocarina of Time stole that place in my heart when I played countless other games and I realized that nothing surpassed the greatness of Ocarina of Time. It's the most critically acclaimed game of all time for a reason, and I think I recognize that reason every time I think of and play it.

It's not so much that there were incredibly good things about the game, but things that you never forget and nothing you ever really hated. When you ask people what they hate the most about Ocarina of Time, they say Navi. When you ask people what they hate the most about a game like Twilight Princess or The Wind Waker they might give you an in-depth summary of what makes them despise a certain aspect of the game, which will usually be something about a unique feature in the game that they feel just didn't work out or was too boring or repetitive. Now, going off of this knowledge we can conclude that Ocarina of Time doesn't appeal to people so much because of its ability to succeed beyond expectations, but its ability to avoid failure. This is what made Ocarina of Time anchor to a place in my heart and mind, and what will keep it held in place.

linksonick

The Chaotic Enigma
To be honest the first time I knew it was going to be epic was when I first started playing it and I instantly liked it. Everyday I would be ready to get home from school just so I could play it. The main reason im even getting the 3DS is so I can have a portable version of this game.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda, so I really had no clue what to expect. It was also one of the first games where I actually read the dialog, the other game being Pokémon Silver, so I got to learn the story of the game and see the characters.

However, I didn't figure out it was epic until we had the scene where
Zelda runs away from Ganondorf after you retrieve all of the stones.
It was at that point that I realized "This game is epic!" I thought it was fun when I was going through the Dodongo's Cavern, but when they started to twist the story around, that's when my eyes opened up and then found the game to be epic.

I guess about when i was three or four. I was playing, i got the sword, and shield, after a while. I went to the Deku Tree, and on the way to three, in that little hallway of a passage, the three upright Deku Babas excited me. I knew then i would love that game. Especially when i got the stick as a reward. ^_^

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Five moments when I began to see it was epic.

5. The opening sequence with Ganondorf attacking you. Like probably everyone else who played the game when it first came out, I didn't know that he would be Ganon in human form. I just thought he'd be an awesome villain.

4. Seven years later. To see the happy-go-lucky citizens disillusioned and the world in utter ruin made it all the more satisfying to beat Ganondorf.

3. The Music. This is probably the most underappreciated aspect in any game. Everyone praises the plot, the gameplay, and the controls, but no one seems to comment on the music until after ZREO has remade the pieces. When I first heard Ganon's entry, I was like "Hell yeah!! He's the Bad Guy!!!" That, and the other epic pieces.

2. Entering Hyrule Field for the first time. When I saw the massiveness of Hyrule field, I literally was speechless. Not one other game was able to show you a world this huge right off the bat. I knew that I would be playing for years.

1. The Final Fights with Ganon. The music again made it really epic. You knew by the music, that if you failed that the world was going to go buh-bye. you couldn't lose.

I

IronKnukle22

When I left the Kokiri forest too see Hyrule field. Then I took to long and the bridge closed.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I saw the commercial, the game was released on my birthday, and well...it was the first game that had a story that even a 3 year old could kinda understand. I just felt a force that made me feel it'd be the most epic ever...

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I knew it was epic when I saw the scene showing Ganondorf in the Great Deku Tree's speech, also when I pulled out the Master Sword and time travelled seven years into the future, that is when I knew it was epic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom