• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link to the Past What's YOUR Death Count?

skybird11

state alchemist
i literally JUST finished playing ALttP for the first time and at the end of the credits it told me i had played 46 games, which i figured it meant i got game over 46 times. so my question to you is what is your death count? tell us your lowest, your highest, what it was the first time you played, etc.

now before you go and say "lol, what a noob, you died 46 times". just know that this was my first 2D zelda game on a home console and i was using a gamecube controller and on the VC.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
I haven't beaten it yet and it's ALREADY made it to 20 FREAKING BILLION!! JK idk what exactly it is, but I die constantly due to the game's lack of health. Is it just my luck, or does the game never give you health? Although, on OoT, when I beat the game for the very first time, I only had 2 deaths :D (I constantly had 4 faries on hand... I did a glitch to replace the Claim Check with a bottle).

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Well...........................:rolleyes: I'd actually have to say that I have died about 20 times. I have not finished the game yet but I'm sort of close. In OoT I died 16 times. Im MM I died 18-19 times. And in WW I so far have died maybe 6 times, I have not finished that game either and I'm not close.:D Yeah, I'm not good at video games.:lol:

Elvenknight

HyrulianBlackcat
Hmm...First time on Link to the PAst...Probably 17? Was my first Zelda game, too. That was my highest. As for my lowest. 0. And on the same game. I think I had 19? on OoT, and 6 on MM. I believe it was 2 on TP. 1 so far on OoA, but that game is more puzzle than fight, anyways.

My latest run of a Link to the Past had 4 deaths.
I remember my first file on Adventure of Link's death count was 296..

My Oracle of Seasons 3 heart file has 48 deaths so far. I'm still in Level 8

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
now before you go and say "lol, what a noob, you died 46 times". just know that this was my first 2D zelda game on a home console and i was using a gamecube controller and on the VC.

If I remember things correctly I guess I died between 40-50 times myself the first time. And I do not consider myself a noob!! It all depends on what kind of approach you use I guess, I always play the games aggressively (and never bother collecting fairies etc.) and that cost me some extra lives, But I have fun playing and that is what is important to me :).

(I eventually tried to play Zelda III without dying even once but I could not see the fun in it. One day however, I will do the 3-hearts and be successful, yes I will ;)).

Earthtemple

The Windfish's Therapist
105. 105 times. i died so often that i stopped caring about dying and used it as a means of teleportation and to gain health. Not to mention I let my 3 year old cousin play for 25 minutes, but he still probably only died 9 or 10 times.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
My lowest was zero (which are from most of my more recent runs of the game), and highest (if I recall correctly) was somewhere around 40 on my first playthrough (I know I've died well over 100 times on an attempted minimalist run, but technically I never finished the game on that particular run, so it doesn't count =P).

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Oh, I cannot remember the exact number of deaths on my very first playthrough which lasted from 1994 to 1996! I sure died a lot but it wasn't the enemies that gave me the most trouble - the puzzles were just too much for my 6-9 year old brain back then. I can still remember that I was stuck for several days on the second floor of level 4 in the Dark World because I didn't know that once you lay them on the ground you can actually pick up bombs and throw them! Back then, this was the game in which I probably had the most deaths before completion, even more than in the Japanese SMB2 (which was released her in Europe as "Lost Levels" in the "All Stars" compilation) which already was a very hard game!
But nowadays, after having completed the game around 20 times I can do a 100% run without deaths in just below 4 hours (world record is somewhere around 1:45!). Practice really makes perfect when it comes to aLttP! So all those who are frustrated by the game should give it a second, third, fourth... chance, eventually you'll master it easily!
This makes me think about how video games have changed over the years... back in the SNES era, dying in video games every now and then was the rule, be it Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong or any other game from back then, but nowadays with games like WW and TP it's a rare exception.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've played and completed ALttP; I was a little kid. If memory is on my side, I'd say 15 times-ish. For many occasions, my older brother would help me, but I eventually successfully completed it by myself. So yeah...about 15 times-ish.

Edit: By the way, I gave my death count from the first time I completed the game by myself.

Well it depends on if i know what the heck i am doing in the game, if i am completly lost i will die tons of times but if i know what i am doing i will barely die. I remember getting stuck a few times and i just kept on dying but once i got used to the game it was easier. Anyway my highest death count is:120+, and my lowest would be 11.

Garo

Boy Wonder
37, I believe. ALttP was a rough game at times, especially since Nintendo was in their phase of "let's make dungeons that don't require you go to every room, just to confuse players" design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom