• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What would you want from a new 2D Zelda?

This is a rather open question so feel free to go wild.

From the console it appears on, the gameplay mechanics, the visuals and timeline placement of you really feel the need...

What would you like to see from a new 2D Zelda?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Kinda tough question to answer really. The oracle games bombed in some ways and ALTTP was a success in others the one thing i sincerely hope they don't bring back is how you had to gather the 8 essences then gain a final item to enter the final boss fight location.

One thing i'd like to see return is a linked game, that made for some interesting dynamics, trading sequences have always fit into 2d zelda games well (when they appear)

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Either a spiritual successor to one of the GBC games (much lik aLBW was to aLttP) or a Zeldavania game.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
A randomly generated dungeon would be fun, like a challenge extra dungeon where you could get a sword upgrade or special perks. like remote bombs or a the magical boomerang.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
A randomly generated dungeon would be fun, like a challenge extra dungeon where you could get a sword upgrade or special perks. like remote bombs or a the magical boomerang.

This idea has merit if it's for like an "endless dungeon" sort of optional bonus dungeon that can be played throughout the game for sweet perks where each level is comprised of randomly generated rooms, hazards, loot and enemies. It would be difficult if not impossible to incorporate puzzle elements into it but it would serve as a combat survival mode or endurance trial like TP's Cave of Ordeals but more complex.

I would expect another 2D Zelda game to use 2D sprites but look freaking gorgeous. It's already been demonstrated that sprite based graphics can be made to look gobsmackingly sexy. Odin Sphere, anyone?

It would look better in a game that isn't exactly top down but presents a sort of pseudo-3D perspective; not quite as heavy as Octopath Traveler but similar maybe.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
My body is ready for the hate. Spin off into Zelda Maker. Tile sets for each of the previous 2D Zelda games, text boxes, collectibles, overworlds, dungeons, customizable enemies and NPCs, customizable items, full adventures o and challenge dungeons, multiplayer...this is my desire.

Otherwise, it would be a fantastic format for an MMO. Build your own home, missions with minimum player restrictions to encourage teamwork, factions, seeeeed rings.........dang I want seed rings back.

And a JRPG? Dag, if they went with my fantastic idea of implementing another Zelda team for 3D linear games alongside a team for open air games, the 2D team would have free reign to experiment, make terrible mistakes and hit fan niches. With the great critical success of Nintendo's other mascot's foray into the role-playing genre, I believe Nintendo would rock a Zelda JRPG

Sprite-based JRPG. Either passive style, like Final Fantasy, or active style, like Super Mario RPG where hitting buttons in time gives you added strength or other effects. The latter is preferred, but I'd take either. Also, a significant degree of challenge and strategy. None of this Mario & Luigi level of childishness.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I completely agree with Hyrulian Hero. I want a Zelda Maker, preferably for Switch. I'm addicted to Super Mario Maker, and I would love to see the same happen for Zelda. If it follows four games like Mario, I would like to see themes for TLoZ, ALttP, LA, and TMC.

I think LoZ and ALttP are givens. I could see them giving us LA as well although I know that with so very many tiles in the ALttP pallette and the complexity of options that would need to be available, it's unlikely that we'd get four tile sets. Not impossible though. Unfortunately, Nintendo has had been jealous with the games that were developed by Capcom so I doubt we'd see Minish Cap. It would be the PERFECT fourth tile set though.

I would be thrilled if they rolled LA, OoA, and OoS into one palette and FSA and ALttP into another. And perhaps a DLC down the line for AoL? Shoot, it wouldn't be too much to ask to have a sprite maker as well!

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
My body is ready for the hate. Spin off into Zelda Maker. Tile sets for each of the previous 2D Zelda games, text boxes, collectibles, overworlds, dungeons, customizable enemies and NPCs, customizable items, full adventures o and challenge dungeons, multiplayer...this is my desire.

Otherwise, it would be a fantastic format for an MMO. Build your own home, missions with minimum player restrictions to encourage teamwork, factions, seeeeed rings.........dang I want seed rings back.

And a JRPG? Dag, if they went with my fantastic idea of implementing another Zelda team for 3D linear games alongside a team for open air games, the 2D team would have free reign to experiment, make terrible mistakes and hit fan niches. With the great critical success of Nintendo's other mascot's foray into the role-playing genre, I believe Nintendo would rock a Zelda JRPG

So I'm kind of a Zelda fan and as such, I pretty much keep up on the major Zelda related channels on YouTube and many Nintendo channels in general. It's weird to me but as soon as I started talking about the idea of Nintendo bringing on another team for a third branch of Zelda production, it seems like several Nintendo channels brought up the same idea. Obviously, I pull no weight in the larger Zelda community and I'm sure my comments about it had no impact on the videos I watched, but it did make me wonder if there was a possibility that YouTube personalities like Commonwealth Realm and Zeltik ever scroll through the Zelda Dungeon forums. Anyway, it's kind of nice to hear that other people like the idea of a team pushing 2D Zelda forward.

That's Easy; I Want a Nintendo Switch Exclusive; 2-player version of 4 Swords Adventures & Triforce Heroes; Bringing back the Doppel dolls(though Only needing 1 Dopple doll if you're by yourself. . . so that you're not screwed when you don't have any friends to play with, or Family members that are too busy to play with you. . .)

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
for it to not double as a remake of another game

but for real, I'd actually want one to take place in a different land again like the game boy games instead of yet another version of hyrule, would also like if it used an established link instead of creating another one

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom