• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Would You Change?

First and foremost I would add difficulty. The game was way too easy and needed to be a lot harder. Especially I would beef up the bosses, giving them more health, new attacks, better AI, make them more aggressive, etc. Wouldn't need to change their overall strategy too much, but I might modify a little.

Add more to Hyrule Castle to make it larger and more like a gauntlet of tough foes.

Spice up the overworld and add more random wandering and sidequests.

Finally, I would add more usage of the various items. More reasons to use items after you got them, both in the dungeons and for sidequests. Items like the Gale Boomerang, Spinner, Ball & Chain, Dominion Rod, and Double Hookshot. They were great items that needed more use. I would also add more dark areas, especially in dungeons, and make them much darker, so you really have to use the lantern more. I would also probably add more Lantern Caves. They were sort of like mini-dungeons, and they were awesome! ^^

N

Nayru's Love

I would change a few things:
- Make it clearer on where to go between temples for newer users.
- Make a Veteran mode

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I'd add a few things.

For starters, I'd add the magic meter and take out the usage of rupees by the Magic Armor.
I would also like to make the dungeons harder, as well as their boss fights. The dungeons weren't that long, but they should've been a bit longer and have been harder.
I would also make it so that way the whole deal with the trapped by the plot thing isn't that significant (unable to escape Twilight, etc.).

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Hmm...although TP is one of my favorite Zelda games, I did see some flaws in it and it is those flaws that I would change.

For one, I'd make there be more magic-capable items in the game. Magic is essential to the Zelda world and I would've liked it if TP had some items that used it. Secondly, I'd make the game a bit more harder. I mean yes, I did have trouble on some bosses and dungeons, but most of the time, they weren't that hard. I'd beef up the bosses and dungeons and make them a lot harder that they were originally. And thirdly, I would make the items that you get in the dungeons more useful when you are out of the dungeon. You would be able to use them a lot more other than just the ways the game already has it set as.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I just re-started a game just for the heck of it, took myself from the beginning through the Forest Temple...

Diababa is pitifully easy to kill. Sure, it's the first boss of the game and the first bosses are always a light touch because you aren't so strong yet, but ... too easy, way too easy. In fact, I don't think the real action of the game picks up until after the Forest Temple.

So, I echo the sentiment of "harder bosses."

But I'm also lobbing a brick at Zeruda for her comment on Wolf Link. Wolf Link is a large part of the reason why I enjoy the game so much. Therefore, I echo the sentiment that there really should have been more "wolf-things" such as more animals to speak with, more puzzles and clues to find involving Hyrule's wildlife.

More places/things to use the Ball and Chain on. That thing was awesome.

More realistic magnatism in the Goron Mines. I *loved* walking around on the walls and cielings with the Iron Boots, but... oh, come on, if that were in any way realistic, Link's hat would fall off or at least flop downward and his shield and sword would get drawn up. You know what might be cool? If he got to keep the wooden sword and was forced to use the wooden sword and shield within certain parts of the temple becuase the magantism is too high for him to keep the more powerful metal stuff out of Hammerspace/his pouch/Midna's storage/wherever the heck he keeps stuff he's not using. Of course, wooden implments bring up the obvious problem of fire/lava, but that could be an added danger - Don't fall into the lava or get your gear near open flame or you'll lose it. Not all rooms in the Goron Mines would be unfriendly to metal, but having a few high-mag rooms and a need for using the wooden gear while walking on the cieling would be interesting.

I just re-started a game just for the heck of it, took myself from the beginning through the Forest Temple...

Diababa is pitifully easy to kill. Sure, it's the first boss of the game and the first bosses are always a light touch because you aren't so strong yet, but ... too easy, way too easy. In fact, I don't think the real action of the game picks up until after the Forest Temple.

So, I echo the sentiment of "harder bosses."
Yeah, Diababa was embarrassingly easy, really. I actually thought Fyrus was a bit worse, but that's just me. I do agree that the game didn't really pick up any real difficulty until after the Forest Temple, but at the same time, those early portions of the game were in some ways my favorites. The Forest Temple was pretty challenging and interesting for the first dungeon in a Zelda game. Minus Diababa, of course. Besides him, it actually surpassed any other Zelda game when it comes to the first dungeon... for me at least. I've always thought the Forest Temple was incredibly well-designed considering what it is, and because of that I tend to think it's the best dungeon in the game, if not my personal favorite.

But I'm also lobbing a brick at Zeruda for her comment on Wolf Link. Wolf Link is a large part of the reason why I enjoy the game so much. Therefore, I echo the sentiment that there really should have been more "wolf-things" such as more animals to speak with, more puzzles and clues to find involving Hyrule's wildlife.
I don't think Wolf Link should've been removed either. I do tend to have a little more fun playing in human form, but Wolf Link was still a nice addition and I didn't mind one bit switching to him every once and a while.

Alas, I felt they didn't really put enough time or work into the Wolf Link portions of the game (this tends to be the source of most of my issues with the game, actually: not enough time or work). The Twilight areas were pretty interesting, but there were only three and then that feature of the game was removed entirely. Then you had the ability to turn into Wolf Link at will, but all the depth to it seemed to be gone. There were no new additions.

I would have liked it if, as you said, there were more puzzles and elements of the game tied to the wolf mechanics. I also would have liked it if there were some way of gaining new abilities for the wolf. Nothing you got in the entire game, save for Hearth Containers, transferred over to the wolf, and you gained no wolf-unique powers throughout the entire game. I would have liked it much better if they had upgrades for Wolf Link to give you new abilities or traits to use, perhaps sort of in the style of the Hidden Skills... that could work. Making these changes would have added much more depth to Wolf Link, and made him match up a little more with the traditional flow of the game.

More realistic magnatism in the Goron Mines. I *loved* walking around on the walls and cielings with the Iron Boots, but... oh, come on, if that were in any way realistic, Link's hat would fall off or at least flop downward and his shield and sword would get drawn up. You know what might be cool? If he got to keep the wooden sword and was forced to use the wooden sword and shield within certain parts of the temple becuase the magantism is too high for him to keep the more powerful metal stuff out of Hammerspace/his pouch/Midna's storage/wherever the heck he keeps stuff he's not using. Of course, wooden implments bring up the obvious problem of fire/lava, but that could be an added danger - Don't fall into the lava or get your gear near open flame or you'll lose it. Not all rooms in the Goron Mines would be unfriendly to metal, but having a few high-mag rooms and a need for using the wooden gear while walking on the cieling would be interesting.
That's an exceptionally cool and interesting idea. I like it a lot!

It also reminds me of one thing I've been seriously missing as of late: equipment switching, like how it was done in Ocarina of Time. I loved having all kinds of equipment (tunics/armors, swords, shields, boots) that had different traits that you would constantly switch between to adapt to different situations. I would really like to see a return of this, and I think it could have seriously improved Twilight Princess, especially considering the awesomeness of the Zora Armor, and the presence of the Hidden Skills.

I would add a built-in Master Quest mode, which would be hard.

REALLY HARD.

Mainly because the game was so easy... :\

Halo siera 117

Eh.... senior member?
I'd add a few things.

For starters, I'd add the magic meter and take out the usage of rupees by the Magic Armor.
I would also like to make the dungeons harder, as well as their boss fights. The dungeons weren't that long, but they should've been a bit longer and have been harder.
I would also make it so that way the whole deal with the trapped by the plot thing isn't that significant (unable to escape Twilight, etc.).

I think that Petman hit the nail on the head, I also think that Zant should have played a bigger roll the rest of the game after you beat him, like helped Ganon in one of the Ganondorf fights (as there was plenty).

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I was playing TP the other day and commenting to my guy about this. I'd *love* to play a Master Quest version of Twilight Princess. They'd probably have to create a whole new disc for it, though, because of the very fancy TP graphics. They take up a lot of memory/power, I imagine. (Urg, this was a response to nicktheslayer. I hit "reply with quote" on this thing and it didn't work! I miss the old board).

I thought of another thing I'd change. It's a small thing. I remember a friend of mine on AIM complaining about the Wolf Howling - you just use it at certain points to summon the Golden Wolf, and then you don't use it. Thinking on that, yeah, I would have liked there to be some mechanism to howl at any time, much like how Link in OoT and MM has his ocarina all the time. You have your special songs, but you really don't need to use them all the time - however, you have the option of just playing for the heck of it. Sometimes, I'd play the Song of Storms or Saria's Song without need just for the heck of it, just for fun. It would have been nice to have Wolf Link running across Hyrule howing the Song of Healing or the Ballad of Twilight at the moon randomly! It's sad that the howling was a set thing and not a ready, random option.

Last edited:
The striking similarity to Ocarina of Time. I still think Ocarina of Time is better because Twilight Princess does little to innovate the series.

L

Linksmyfavorite

I would change a couple of things:
1. If you want info on a bad guy, Midna won't tell you whenever you lock-on to a bad guy like what Navi did.
2. There isn't a magic meter, some people may HATE it but I like it.
3. To be able to hold more items in the Gamecube version.
4. A shield button; some people may find the lock-on+shield button convenient, but I'm used to the Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask style of gameplay.

D

Dirty Link

i would def get rid of wolf link. To me its actually comical that they try to sell a serious game and the main character turns into a wolf. Also it was dreadfully boring. Along with getting rid of the wolf, i would get rid of catching the light bugs. It was very tedious and to be honest i thought it was stupid. The game did have some really cool items though. The spinner was a great addition, i just wish it had more use out of its temple. And lastly i would give Midna a smaller part. She just annoyed me, i felt she was way to involved in the story and her personality annoyed me as well.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
A game "not being serious" because the main character turns into a wolf? You've got to be kidding me... My favorite book is a s tory where a unicorn turns into a young woman... (and it's serious and full of philosophy, too). Another of my favorite books/series and associated anime deals with a fantasy world in which Kirin (legendary holy creatures) have human forms they take at will and features "half-beasts" who can take on human forms - in a deadly serious world with politics and blood... Animal connection and shapeshifting are favorite themes of mine in fantasy and, trust me, are themes used in some *very* serious literary works. So, I personally fail to see how "main character becomes a large, dangerous predator as an involuntary, then voluntary transformation" as taking away the "seriousness" of the game. At all.

I guess Wolf Link just doesn't appeal to those who do not like an animal connection as much as I do. I understand how people didn't like his controls and inablity to use items, but I personally fail to see how he makes the game "less serious." Large, predatory animals feel pretty serious and badass to me.

Link turned into a *pink bunny* in A Link to the Past. A *useless* and very comical buck-toothed pink bunny - until you got the Moon Pearl. That was one of Zelda's most WTF moments for me. Considering that he was a bunny in one of the beloved classic games, a wolf for me feels *far* more serious.

I've already pretty much said the things I'd personally change - just wanted to add my two cents again for an aspect of the game I actually really liked.

D

Dirty Link

im not trying to like discourage people from thinking the wolf was cool. If you liked it thats awesome for you im jealous because then you probably enjoyed the game a lot more then i did. But to me it does seem a little less serious that he turns into a wolf. Yea the rabbit was definitly less serious lol. It just seemed like such a radical idea to me, to turn him into a wolf, that i dont know it just took away some realism to it. Maybe im bias because im not a fan of change in most series to the main character, and im a huge fan of the current gameplay of link and his sword and other items. I didnt mean to offend you if i did, that definitly not my intentions but i stand by what i said.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Not at all. I just found it weird that someone would think of a fantasy-genre game/story as "less serious" *just* because of an animal/transformation element, as a lot of fantasy fiction deals with the same themes and does so in a serious tone. Maybe it's just what I read, I don't know. I've also written a fantasy novel of my own with a fairly serious/general tone that features a werewolf as a secondary character. *Shrug.* For someone to label a game as "non-serious" because of that one specific element just struck me as... well... odd.

If it were a straight-out realistic/takes place in our world kind of game, *maybe,* but Zelda has always been firmly in the "fantasy" genre.

No offense taken, just thought your answer was a little strange. To each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom