• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Was Your 1st Gloom Hand Encounter?

CyborgElfStephanie

Just a loser loving Legend of Zelda and anime
My first encounter with Gloom Hands is when I did Hestu's quest on killing those God damn tree monsters, I went into the cave next to where Hestu was at. I was thrilled to explore the cave when the moment I saw the gloom hands, I thought they were wall masters from the previous Zelda games but was terrified as hell and went to my previous save and for a bit try to avoid going down there until I found the shrine in that same cave where those God damn gloom hands were at.

What was your first encounter like?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I want to say by Hyrule Forest Park. I was running towards a Shrine and I saw the hands and stopped to see what was up out of curiosity and then they chased after me relentlessly and killed me before I got to the Shrine. Between them and those goddamn walking trees which gave me a jumpscare when I first encountered them, this game has some really cool horror elements.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I was climbing Mount Lanayru and they showed up behind me screeching and turning the sky red. Scared the daylights out of me. They nearly cornered me and killed me but I warped away to safety at the last second. When I went back up the mountain afterward, they were still there, but I knew what to expect that time and did much better. I beat em, and then... HE showed up. Scared the daylights out of me AGAIN. I won the fight, but it took me like 10 minutes cuz he had a spear and I... did not. I couldnt reach him without stepping on his gloom puddle. It was a pretty rough first encounter.

Fortunately my first time killing one (the Akkala Citadel) did not spawn a Phantom Ganon. I think if it did, I would have assumed that was something that happened every time I fought them and I would probably have been much more reluctant to fight them.

Also I mark them with cooking pots on my map because Nintendo was dummy and added a bunch more things to the world without giving you enough map icons to indicate what things are.

I’d spoiled myself a little by mistake and new where a forced encounter is, and so I was heading there from the Depths. I’d built a sort of Everglades looking hover board to get across a ton of gloom, saw some hands and panicked and ended up crashing into some bomb flowers lol. So I ended up fighting them twice then.

Maybe 3 or 4 hours in (so basically just finished the tutorial quests on the Great Sky Island) I began exploring the Hyrule courtyard. I paused my game for whatever reason. As soon as I unpaused it, ominous music starts playing and then the Gloom Hands appeared. I was so terrified I just uploaded right on out of there to the first travel point I could find. For a while I thought they were some kind of warning to stay away from Hyrule castle!

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I was in the middle of the North Lomei Labyrinth, right at the shrine in the middle. I was able to climb into a safe corner, but other than warping I was trapped. I eventually blasted them with bomb arrows so that I could get out of there... Then IT happened... I actually managed to cheese myself a victory, but I was shaking...

By the Morok Shrine on Sahasra Slope. I ended up teleporting to the Sky Islands and didn't actually face one until the Great Deku Tree where I first fought Phantom Ganon The second encounter was actually one of the many moments that helped me realize that Tears of the Kingdom was equal to Majora's Mask in terms of the genuine threat of its central antagonist and the communal response to that central antagonist.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
During the descent to Ganon. I pursued that area pretty early on, so that late game area managed to be my first encounter with the gloom hands. Since they were spooky and wriggly I opted to run away.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
My first encounter was near one of the Towers, I don't remember which one though. It was late, I was playing handheld in bed, and I immediately stopped playing because I was now traumatised.

My second encounter was under the Deku Tree. I was hunting for clues about the Master Sword after completing my second temple. I was just as terrified, and managed to beat it after about five attempts. However, I had no idea Phantom Ganon would appear afterwards, which made me incredibly surprised. It was probably one of my favourite and most memorable reveals in the game to be honest. A few attempts later, I had him defeated as well, and quickly made my way to the Master Sword from there.

It was somewhere in the mountains around Zora's Domain. I didn't even notice it was there until I was halfway up a sheer cliff face and far out of danger. They freaked me out a bit at first, but now that I've fought the Phantom Ganon boss in Hyrule Castle and the one under the Great Deku Tree, I just make sure that I'm stocked up on arrows, bomb flowers, and good weapons and go to town on 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom