• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Size is Your Computer's Hard Drive?

Kind of a simple question, really. I find it really fascinating how the capacity has dramatically increased from way-back-when up until now. I'm honestly really surprised to say that I've been living off of Huey's 147 GB for the past four--almost five years. Except, since he was my dad's for four years before gave him to me, he had more, like, 112 GB left. Okay, so... I am a pack rat--in real life, and virtually. So, I am always creating / downloading new files to my hoard of data. Especially since, two years ago, when I got into video-editing (which is a pain when you only have an extremely unstable version of Windows Movie Maker...), I have cluttered up quite a bit of my Huey's harddrive.

My yummy pie chart thingy
12Dgj

33 GB left. That's not too shabby for Huey, I suppose. Though, I have been meaning to sift through some older files that I don't use anymore and do something with them--hopefully get rid of them. Yes... I'm more-willing to clean up Huey than my bedroom. :<

---
So... your guys' turn. Have you increased your hard drive's capacity in your computer's lifetime? I must know!

My laptop's harddrive is 232 gigabytes. I only have about 16 gigs left, so I definitely either need to find an external, or get a new laptop. The latter sounds awesome, actually, since I found an Asus for $600 at Wal Mart. Once my financial aid comes in, I could actually afford it plus more :rolleyes:

So here's an image:
12K2W

All of my disk space usage comes from videos. I do let's plays, and most of the videos I made were about a gigabyte each, until I decided to use a program called Handbrake. Now they only take 200 to 500 megabytes. I have also downloaded a bunch of anime several months ago that I only just now began watching.

K-On! is cute.

Dan

My main computer has two 1TB hardrives inserted into it. My second desktop has 1TB, this laptop has 100GB... It's ****.

My current laptop has 221 GB. Honestly, anymore would be unnecessary, seeing as I barely download anything.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
harddrive.png

I'm using this drive's space sloppily, and it has plenty of room to spare.

This is actually a new computer, but the drive in question is an SSD, and you trade off size for speed. So this drive is very fast, although it's a little small by today's standards.

My first computer had a 1.5GB Drive, and I recall that that was actually an upgrade/replacement drive that we got in the mid 1990s. I don't remember the size of the original drive, but I think it was something like 300-500MB, less than a CD-ROM.

The next computer I got in the late 1990s came with a 3GB hard drive that died within a few years, which I eventually replaced with a 20GB drive that still works to this day.

The computer I got after that in the early 2000s had a 120GB hard drive, which lasted for the main service life of the computer. I have one failed machine build from the mid-2000s that had a 200GB hard drive which I have not yet repurposed or tested in many years.

My next machine from the mid 2000s, purchased by my father to replace the failed one, had two 320GB drives in a raid 0 configuration which effectively gave me 600GB of space, though I never came close to using even half of that. It was faster than the single mechanical drives I was accustomed to, however.

Now, my current machine, built this year, has the 512GB SSD that I showed you. It doesn't add up to that amount in Windows because of the fact that Windows and Hard Drive manufacturers calculate Gigabytes differently.

Last edited:

chrisplushado

All I want is Wii friends
500 gb, when I first got this computer qhwn I was maybe 11 (it had no internet) it had a 50gb hard drive, but after my dad finally granted me internet access when I was 12, I got SO many viruses, so for my birthday my dad got them all removed, but the hard drive was ruined so they had to install a new one.
I only have 9 GB left, it's probably from all the movies and games that I "own".

Last edited:

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
My computer's hard drive is 600 GB (580 for the main part, 20 for the recovery stuff). I honestly do not need that much, as I've only used about 100 GB.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I have a really old laptop that has about 75GB of hard disc space of which I only have 8GB left. I also have a computer that has 1TB of space and I have used roughly half of it. I also have a 250GB external hard drive and a 1TB external hard drive so I don't clog my laptop/computer up with animé/music.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Heh, I have a desktop and a laptop, so I'll say the sizes of those. In my desktop, I have a 500GB HDD with about 80GB free. However, it's an IDE based HDD, so it would take quite a bit to load something, even though it spins at 7200RPM (or whatever the speed is). XP

Now, my laptop, which is quite new, has a 750GB HDD that runs at 5400RPM. Since it is SATA based, it definitely goes a lot faster, and I believe I have somewhere around 480GB left on this thing, but I do a lot of multimedia editing on my laptop (it's a MacBook Pro), whereas my desktop is dedicated to gaming (despite the fact it has a Pentium 4 in it).

i has 2x500 GB hard drives set up in as RAID 0 (my friend sorted it for me i has no clue about computers :P )

There is defo room for a naughty joke in this thread title :P

Last edited:

CCG <3 Zelda

CrazyControllerGuy
My laptop came with a 270 GB hard drive. After dedicating some memory to the RAM and other partitions, my C: drive can now hold up to 194 GB, and I've used up about 139 GB

Attachments

• Used 'N' Used Space!.jpg
    Used 'N' Used Space!.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom