• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if Link Had a Gun As a Weapon

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
The bow is my favourite item and will obviously be replaced.

And if we want to play CoD, we will Uless we are playing A Link To The Future and had a patnes called Snake, sure.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd like to see this:
M16A1_brimob.jpg

Me as well. :rolleyes:
Yeah, echoing again but Zelda + Guns doesn't mean FPS. Fable has guns (I think), but that isn't Call of Duty. I can cite many more games that are 'medieval' or further in those times but still have guns. Heck, a lot of major, real life wars involved horses, guns, swords and shields now that I think about it.

Big Octo

=^)
The bow is my favourite item and will obviously be replaced.

And if we want to play CoD, we will Uless we are playing A Link To The Future and had a patnes called Snake, sure.
You're thinking of Modern Guns only. What about this?:
English_flintlock_blunderbuss.jpeg

Also, I didn't say I wanted an M16 . . .

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
The day Link has a gun is the day Samus becomes an ugly man.

Zelda has always kept that fantastical and medieval feel to it that not many games have these days. All of today's games are too modernized. I feel that a Zelda game with guns would be too modern, too Call-of-Duty-esque, and I wouldn't like it one bit. Zelda and Nintando in general doesn't follow the crowd, Nintendo stays true to their audience, young and old. They know as well as we know that a modernized Zelda would just plain suck.
Nintendo is smart enough to stay true to the roots when it comes to Zelda. I will admit, the Zelda series has come a long way and has developed into this wonderful series that millions of people play.
I mean sure, some people would actually buy a Zelda game if it had guns in it, but it would feel too - unrealistic to me.

A good compromise = Crossbow. I mean, they have "Link's Crossbow Training"... so it would make the most sense in my eyes. :yes:

/rant

Big Octo

=^)

Zelda has always kept that fantastical and medieval feel to it that not many games have these days. All of today's games are too modernized. I feel that a Zelda game with guns would be too modern, too Call-of-Duty-esque, and I wouldn't like it one bit. Zelda and Nintando in general doesn't follow the crowd, Nintendo stays true to their audience, young and old. They know as well as we know that a modernized Zelda would just plain suck.
Nintendo is smart enough to stay true to the roots when it comes to Zelda. I will admit, the Zelda series has come a long way and has developed into this wonderful series that millions of people play.
I mean sure, some people would actually buy a Zelda game if it had guns in it, but it would feel too - unrealistic to me.

A good compromise = Crossbow. I mean, they have "Link's Crossbow Training"... so it would make the most sense in my eyes. :yes:

/rant
The Zelda series is really open to change. There have been only a few people in this thread that have taken classic guns into account (See my above image). These guns are much older than trains, which we already have. Wait, let's hop back to that. What if Spirit Tracks wasn't made, but you heard that a new Zelda game had trains. What would you think? I'm willing to say no, but did you see how ST turned out? It was a good game. Change isn't always a bad thing.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
The Zelda series is really open to change. There have been only a few people in this thread that have taken classic guns into account (See my above image). These guns are much older than trains, which we already have. Wait, let's hop back to that. What if Spirit Tracks wasn't made, but you heard that a new Zelda game had trains. What would you think? I'm willing to say no, but did you see how ST turned out? It was a good game. Change isn't always a bad thing.
I know change isn't a bad thing. When I saw Spirit Tracks' debut trailer, i was really excited BECAUSE of the train. But let's be real, the train that used was an OLD train. It didn't branch out too far from the Zelda we know and love. Adding guns is a BIG leap, a leap I DO NOT wanna see happen. Nintendo, if they choose to take that leap, will fall into nothingness and slowly have one of it's best series die away.

Legit.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
A crossbow? Omg, gimme *-* I always used them In FiestaOnline, but I changed to bows at level 60 :3

God I need to get back on that game

Big Octo

=^)
I know change isn't a bad thing. When I saw Spirit Tracks' debut trailer, i was really excited BECAUSE of the train. But let's be real, the train that used was an OLD train. It didn't branch out too far from the Zelda we know and love. Adding guns is a BIG leap, a leap I DO NOT wanna see happen. Nintendo, if they choose to take that leap, will fall into nothingness and slowly have one of it's best series die away.

Legit.
But you don't realize that I'm thin king of an OLD gun, much older than trains! It's not even that big of a leap, really, just think about it. Be open-minded to it, it can work out easily.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Zelda already feels modern, with me playing TP I don't even think of it as a Zelda game due to the realistic graphics and that cannon. Adding some guns to TP's world wouldn't hurt it a bit, that is assuming the gun would have use outside of the dungeon you get it in. I repeat, guns wouldn't hurt a Zelda game if they fit with the graphical style. I would assume Nintendo would use the Wii U Tech Demo style for a realistic-er Zelda, and despite my hate for TP, the game got a lot of success. Nintendo generally doesn't fool around with innovations, as seen in TWW's cartoon graphics, TP's realism, SS 1:1 swordplay, and so on.

Having guns wouldn't detract much from the Zelda Experience so long as it doesn't outwardly replace the sword and shield. And I repeat again, Zelda wouldn't become an FPS just because there are guns. Don't cite Call of Duty unless you've actually played the game; having been a CoD geek for a good while I can say that throwing in a gun and giving us the ability to move and shoot would not make Zelda a terribad series. Fable, which is oftentimes cited as the Zelda for the Xbox(360), has swords, magic, and guess what? Guns as well. That series is still thriving. Innovation and renovation are always seen in games across the world. Most of the time, the innovations are pretty good, assuming the company which made the game knows what they are doing. Yes, Zelda + Guns would be different, but so many Zelda games are classified as different yet still succeed. I think if all of the 'hardcore' Zelda fans would open up their minds a little bit and at least try other series, they wouldn't be so turned away from 'radically' different ideas. I'll try to show the changes Zelda has had over the years:

RPG ELEMENTS -
Zelda II:Adventure of Link basically deviates from all that we call Zelda. It's an RPG with blatant experience points for crying out loud! Did it succeed? Yes, it did. People hate its guts, but that's because they (meaning me) cannot beat the game without cheating. Succeed it did never the less.

EPIC STORY -
Zelda:A Link to the Past changed the way people viewed game's timelines what with the game having an actual (back)story to it. ALttP is the favorite of many people to this day, having garnered extremely well reviews.

3D -
Zelda:Ocarina of Time brought the Zelda series into the realm of 3D gaming. Needless to say, that game got the best reviews of the series to date.

DARK STORY -
TLoZ:Majora's Mask was undeniably twisted and dark. As a direct sequel to a lighter game (i.e Ocarina of Time), seeing something so insane as a boy in a mask trying to bring destruction to a world of happy people is rather different. Did MM succeed? Partially, but it still has a thriving fanbase today. Its partially success is due to being released at the end o the N64's life cycle, I should have you know.

GRAPHICS -
The Wind Waker
with its cartoon-like graphics is probably the worse offender, but Twilight Princess also did a change with the realistic graphics. Both of them turned a couple of players off at pre release, but once they got their hands on the game a huge fanbase (of mostly fangirls but whatever) sprouted from things such as LinkxMedli or LinkxMidna to 'crazier' things like Wolf LinkxIlia. Those are only fanfiction pairings that people do, reviewers around the world praised the game's graphics and sound, and the gameplay as well. TP and TWW both succeeded a great degree, that's undeniable fact.

GAMEPLAY[tentative] -
Skyward Sword, which is due for a release of November 20th in North America (18th in Europe I believe), clearly shows what 'radically' different gameplay can do for the series. Will it succeed? Time will tell, but from what we've got from pre release reception makes the game sound like it could be the next 'Ocarina of Time'.

GUNS [tentative]
This is Nintendo we're talking about, and we're dealing with a prestigious series called The Legend of Zelda. I highlight the word LEGEND for a reason; legends of all sorts happen whether they are modern or not. Zelda is getting modernized every day, be it through gameplay mechanics or story. Having guns in a Legendary series does not render it Un-Legendary. Look at Call of Duty. The series pumps out a new game EVERY YEAR, and MILLIONS of people buy the NEW GAME EVERY YEAR yet all it does is ship out the same multiplayer mode with hardly new guns and somewhat new perks. The game makes millions! Transfer one of the main selling points, that is the guns, to Zelda and you have potential for a great game. Does Guns + Zelda: FPS? No, it does not. We have a bow and arrow, but it doesn't make the game turn into an FPS (we have a choice between L-Targeting and FPS aiming in most games). Guns wouldn't be any different. You won't know until you try, and generally when you try, you get sucked in as evidenced by food, movies, books, any form of enterainment 'round the world.

Last edited:

Big Octo

=^)
Vanitas' post reminded me of something: who here has played Fable II or III? Those are excellent games, with swords, magic, and guns. It is set in a Medieval to Renaissance era, and they are in no ways an FPS, they are 3rd person. This let's me see how this would work in Zelda, because adding guns doesn't automatically make it an FPS, like everybody thinks. A Blunderbuss or Flintlock pistol could be a really good thing to ad in the Zelda series.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I'm not sure about this one. On one hand, I'm open to new ideas in the series, to keep it fresh, but on the other hand, I always want the games to have that Zelda atmosphere, were you're saving the princess. Did guns appear while there was still chivalry and castles and such, because that would be completely different, in fact, I might actually like to have rerally old fashioned muskets in a future Zelda game (as long as Miyamoto and Aonuma don't have any better ideas.)

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Vanitas' post reminded me of something: who here has played Fable II or III? Those are excellent games, with swords, magic, and guns. It is set in a Medieval to Renaissance era, and they are in no ways an FPS, they are 3rd person. This let's me see how this would work in Zelda, because adding guns doesn't automatically make it an FPS, like everybody thinks. A Blunderbuss or Flintlock pistol could be a really good thing to ad in the Zelda series.
Adding guns to Zelda wouldn't make it a First-Person shooter, you're right on that. But I still stand by the fact that Zelda wouldn't be the same if it had guns, old or not. It blows my mind that people actually WANT guns. Just goes to show you that today's generation is all about on-rails shooting. And before you all bash me for THAT, not all on-rails shooters are first-person.

Zelda is a very fantastical series, filled with things that don't exist outside of our imagination. Adding guns would be a leap that Nintendo should NOT take. It isn't happening, I KNOW it won't happen. Nintendo's too smart to ruin one of their greatest series. Zelda's gone 25 years without once going outside the boundary between classic and modern, and they won't be starting now.

Austin

Austin

/rant
Why would it "just plain suck"? Do you have any actual reasons for this? Staying true to the roots of the Zelda series and adding a more futuristic environment aren't mutually exclusive things; I'm sure that if Nintendo wanted to, they could create a modern Zelda game and it still make it feel like a classic Zelda game. Of course, that's all besides the point, as adding a gun wouldn't necessarily "modernize" anything. Guns were in use long before the current era. A gun like the one Big Octo link wouldn't feel modern at all. Also, what's with all the Call of Duty references? Many games have guns in them. Many games prior to the existence of Call of Duty have guns in them. Adding guns to any game, including Zelda, doesn't make them anything like Call of Duty.

But I still stand by the fact that Zelda wouldn't be the same if it had guns, old or not. It blows my mind that people actually WANT guns. Just goes to show you that today's generation is all about on-rails shooting.
Or that some people aren't irrationally afraid of change.

Guns is not a big leap in the slightest. You have your history literally backwards. The first rifles were invented roughly 300 years before the first trains. Guns are step BACKWARD in technology.

And if you're arguing the concept of guns, then you're still wrong because again, Zelda has always had projectiles. So a projectile weapon that isn't even the most advanced piece of technology in the series would ruin it? One single item is capable of ruining an entire video game series, even though it doesn't introduce any concept the series hasn't already utilized?

Adding guns to Zelda wouldn't make it a First-Person shooter, you're right on that. But I still stand by the fact that Zelda wouldn't be the same if it had guns, old or not. It blows my mind that people actually WANT guns. Just goes to show you that today's generation is all about on-rails shooting. And before you all bash me for THAT, not all on-rails shooters are first-person.
How could it change anything? We already have projectile weaponry. How would an ever-so-slightly different kind change anything? I played an ALttP-style Zelda clone that had a gun. Guess what? It didn't function any differently AT ALL than the Bow from the original ALttP. You're still equating the item with a single kind of gameplay. Devil May Cry has guns, (and swords) and it's not a shooter of any sort. Darksiders is also a Zelda clone, and I believe it has a gun.

A gun wouldn't make Zelda a first-person shooter, nor an on-rails shooter. No one is asking for that. You do not understand the argument.

Zelda is a very fantastical series, filled with things that don't exist outside of our imagination. Adding guns would be a leap that Nintendo should NOT take. It isn't happening, I KNOW it won't happen. Nintendo's too smart to ruin one of their greatest series. Zelda's gone 25 years without once going outside the boundary between classic and modern, and they won't be starting now.
Again, it's not a leap. It is built out of concepts already existing within the series. Zelda is a fantasy title, yes, but it has never excelled at that by adding in things that it flat out made up. Many locations are reminiscent of actual locations in real life or at the very least existing architectural styles and existing cultures. If you look up many aspects of the series, ranging from the music, region style, items, and enemies, you'll find that they pool from numerous cultures and religions. Religious symbols that actually exist appear all throughout Ocarina of Time. "Sheik" is a term for the leader of a muslim village. "Rupee" is India's currency. Most items throughout the series can be found in real life as well. Lanterns, Bombs, Bows, Ball & Chain, Whips, etc. etc. etc.

You're also wrong here. A gun is simply nothing new.

We're not going to get anywhere in this argument if you won't give a detailed explanation of exactly how and why it would ruin the series. That statement in itself doesn't really mean much or make your point.

Did guns appear while there was still chivalry and castles and such, because that would be completely different, in fact, I might actually like to have rerally old fashioned muskets in a future Zelda game (as long as Miyamoto and Aonuma don't have any better ideas.)
Yes.

Guns is not a big leap in the slightest. You have your history literally backwards. The first rifles were invented roughly 300 years before the first trains. Guns are step BACKWARD in technology.

Adding onto that, one of the very first guns that we know of is at least 500 years older than the first train in the form that we see it is. In reality, adding a gun to Zelda is going to do as much damage as adding a gun to Assassin's Creed did, which was absolutely no damage at all. Guns are something that have been part of our history for a long time now, much longer than the train has been. After all, a gun isn't the most complex of things out there, it's actually quite a simple piece of technology. A train is a much more complex piece of technology when they are put in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom