• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What DS/3DS Games Should Be Ported to Switch?

A lot of people are discussing the recent wave of Wii U ports to Switch, as they should be. At the start of the Nintendo Direct Mini, however, we also saw The World Ends With You: Final Remix, a port of a DS game announced. The DS/3DS were very RPG heavy platforms so it makes sense to capitalize on that genre to bring players from those systems to the Switch.

We also saw a tease of a possible Bravely Default port recently with one of the main characters holding Joy Cons for a Christmas message. Nothing has been confirmed yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see both games in the series ported to Switch, especially since the developers are already working on the platform with Project Octopath Traveler.

What about you? Do you think any DS or 3DS should come to Switch or are any particularly likely? Or should Nintendo and third party developers not port from those systems because they both sold well and aren't old enough yet?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I would love to see a good deal of 3DS games come to Switch:

First off, A Link Between Worlds will probably come, and it will be total hotness. Nintendo has reached out to journalists and actually asked them to add an addendum to their reviews.
Kid Icarus Uprising, with both Gyro and twin sticks support will be amazing. That game really deserves to be in HD.
I would love to see the Bravely Games as well.
I also would like to see the 3D Remakes of Final Fantasy 3 and 4 that came to the DS. These games were also ported to Steam, so it would be a really quick and easy port.
Metroid Samus Returns (Plus a Federation Force addon for extra trolls) would also be really cool.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Preferably none. I don't want my old consoles to become obsolete, especially considering they're still developing for the 3DS. More original games and less ports = happy me. I felt like the recent Nintendo Direct was wasted on ports and was a massive disappointment.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Preferably none. I don't want my old consoles to become obsolete, especially considering they're still developing for the 3DS. More original games and less ports = happy me. I felt like the recent Nintendo Direct was wasted on ports and was a massive disappointment.
What if these ports didn’t take away any resources at all from the original games? If anything, remakes and ports fund new original experiences. For example, The World Ends With You could potentially get a brand new sequel if the Switch remake does well enough. And ports take minimal effort to make, and do not hamper development on original projects. Most of the time as well, these ports are outsourced as well, meaning that the teams that even make original games aren’t working on ports or remasters.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I wouldn't mind an HD port of Mario 64 and Sunshine down the road. (64 was ported to the DS which is why I bring it up here) 64 HD would look a lot better than the DS version and control better. That game was not meant for a D-pad.

What if these ports didn’t take away any resources at all from the original games?
They would have to be slightly remade to work on the Switch. Direct ports don't work. Example? Azure Gunvolt Striker Pack. The 2x 3DS games there look good on the Switch. But they still feel like 3DS games. The gamelay screen feels way too cramped and the playable character is way too large for a Switch game. The controls are just ported from the 3DS straight without any thought to the Switch controlers. The gameplay is still aimed for that 10 minute to 20 minute quick play session, ideal for a 3DS but terrible for a Switch. Portably the Switch feels better at the 30 minutes to 1 hour play time on the go. The 3DS is a different kind of portable to the Switch. The people who ported this game to the Switch didn't understand this.

Direct ports of 3DS games (or ****ty mobile games that don't even change the resolution to work on the Switch or don't even remove the microtransactions though they are unusable on the Switch) should never come to the Switch. However good 3DS games slightly remade to actually work properly on the Switch would be a good idea and could sell well.

Hopefully none.

It feels like theyre porting Wii U titles to Switch because they lost money on that console and the games that released on it by extension, what better place to port overlooked (and frankly boycotted in some cases) games than a console that is doing well...

But the DS and 3DS didn't do badly. Millions of people have both and the games to play on them. Porting DS and 3DS games to Switch (especially Zelda) comes off as greedy, there is no damage control to be had in porting DS and 3DS games to Switch.

Sure, moar games on Switch for the few people who don't have DS and 3DS consoles, but I bet if Nintendo do open the floodgates for DS and 3DS games on Switch that they won't sell as well as the U ports.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Nothing on the 3DS should be a direct port to Switch. Update those graphics, ya'll!

But the correct answer is Ever Oasis.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Personally I would want to have ALBW and would also love the prettier OoT for the Switch (instead of merely VC of it). Not sure if I have any other wants. MK7 would be cool for some of its tracks, but I would rather they made a MK7-esque DLC for MK8D. Though if they were to port Super Mario 64 DS, I would certainly want to buy it.

Quin

Disaster Master
I always wanted a console version of MH4U, like 3U did, but its too late for that now.
Anyway, My answer would have been none too, But Kid Icarus uprising could have really used much better controls. it would have easily pushed it from a 9/10 to a 10/10.
I think the only controller that could have done that though was the remote, so that time has passed too.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I think graphically, these games aren't gonna cut it on the Switch. They need to be remastered and tweaked like Resident Evil: Revelations was when it was first put on consoles. So I can't see many happening.

Though, I'd personally like to see A Link Between Worlds and Ocarina of Time 3D upscaled for HD. Kid Icarus: Uprising would also be a smart choice as the touch screen controls were very awkward on the 3DS. I would also like to see Metroid: Samus Returns, but it seems too recent to be considered, though it would still be nice exposure for the series.

Last edited:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I think graphically, these games aren't gonna cut it on the Switch. They need to be remastered and tweaked like Resident Evil: Revelations was when it was first put on consoles. So I can't see many happening.

Though, I'd personally like to see A Link Between Worlds and Ocarina of Time 3D upscaled for HD. Kid Icarus: Uprising would also be a smart choice as the touch screen controls were very awkward on the 3DS. I would also like to see Metroid: Samus Returns, but it seems too recent to be considered, though it would be nice exposure for the series.
Particularly for 3DS, it does not take much work at all to get them to HD. Most developers actually use High Quality Models and textures, and then down scales them for the 3DS. For example, when Ocarina of Time 3D is uprezzed via an emulator:

*Starts at 2:30
It looks pretty good, and this is just a fan emulator, just simply putting the game at 1080p. It won’t take much work at all to make these look good, especially considering that they have all of the assets ready to go, and are professionals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom