• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler What Did You Think of Demise?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
As a character, I thought Nintendo should have characterized him more so that he was just as charismatic a villain as Ghirahim.

Out of curiosity, how would you have done that? With his true form appearing at the end of the game -- which depicted his character quite nicely -- it'd be pretty hard to flesh him out like Ghirahim was. Ghirahim appeared the whole game.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I both like and hate Demise.I love his appearance, from his flaming hair which reminds me of super saiyan 3 Goku's hair style, to his glowing red eyes, muscular physique like a hardcore 'roid user who's been injecting for 1000 years and his permanently disgusted face which I often enjoy imitating when someone says something that displeases me.

What I don't like is that yet again they have put a villain in a Zelda game that is not Ganondorf, yet tries so hard to be him. They have the same motives, which are obtaining the triforce and having complete dominance over the world. They even look similar. They are both very tall, muscular red-headed men, when you compare the character models, Demise has incredibly similar facial features to Ganondorf from Twilight princess, he also shares the same style of sideburns to Ganondorf from Ocarina of time. The scar on his forehead really does him no extra favours since Ganondorf often wears some kind of jewel on his forehead. So not only do they have the same motives they also look similar.

Speaking of their similar motives and character. I personally dislike the way Demise was handled. He had 5 minutes of screen time in which he kindly offers to let link go and tells him about how he used to make people cry back in the day. Demises character was just not threatening, he dried up a few lakes once and now he's conversing with a human. Ganondorf has always had a special presence and when he's in a game you know something big will happen. Demise as the source of all evil, should have been more well... evil. As soon as he was in human form he should have let out his burning rage and declared how he was going to grind the world beneath his heel and how he will burn everything and punish the tribes who opposed him. Instead his speech amounted to 'right I'm back now, you should run because I used to make people cry and hide under rocks, I'm a bit evil, not as much as Ganondorf though because I'm gonna let you save and give you time to stock up' You know, I'm not sure the character Demise was, was the one that was painted by people building up to his return. From what was said, Demise wanted to consume the world rather than rule it and was more like Majora than Ganondorf.

The fight was indeed difficult, I always take fairies with me to that. I thought it was pretty well handled. Aounuma said how the game will touch upon why Ganondorf showed up and also that the villain would relate to him somehow. There is no doubt that he was created with Ganondorf in mind, I just can't help thinking that for the source of all evil, he was just a bit too nice, like an honourable Ganondorf.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I both like and hate Demise.I love his appearance, from his flaming hair which reminds me of super saiyan 3 Goku's hair style, to his glowing red eyes, muscular physique like a hardcore 'roid user who's been injecting for 1000 years and his permanently disgusted face which I often enjoy imitating when someone says something that displeases me.

What I don't like is that yet again they have put a villain in a Zelda game that is not Ganondorf, yet tries so hard to be him. They have the same motives, which are obtaining the triforce and having complete dominance over the world. They even look similar. They are both very tall, muscular red-headed men, when you compare the character models, Demise has incredibly similar facial features to Ganondorf from Twilight princess, he also shares the same style of sideburns to Ganondorf from Ocarina of time. The scar on his forehead really does him no extra favours since Ganondorf often wears some kind of jewel on his forehead. So not only do they have the same motives they also look similar.

Their motives are somewhat similar, but not as much as you make them out to be. Ganondorf was jealous of Hyrule and wanted it because of that. Demise just had hatred for the world in general for no apparent reason. The only thing we have to go on is that Demise has hatred for the gods. No explanation as to why. We don't know his motives. We do know Ganondorf's thanks to The Wind Waker. Because of this, I don't think it's fair to compare them as much as you are.

Speaking of their similar motives and character. I personally dislike the way Demise was handled. He had 5 minutes of screen time in which he kindly offers to let link go and tells him about how he used to make people cry back in the day. Demises character was just not threatening, he dried up a few lakes once and now he's conversing with a human. Ganondorf has always had a special presence and when he's in a game you know something big will happen. Demise as the source of all evil, should have been more well... evil. As soon as he was in human form he should have let out his burning rage and declared how he was going to grind the world beneath his heel and how he will burn everything and punish the tribes who opposed him. Instead his speech amounted to 'right I'm back now, you should run because I used to make people cry and hide under rocks, I'm a bit evil, not as much as Ganondorf though because I'm gonna let you save and give you time to stock up' You know, I'm not sure the character Demise was, was the one that was painted by people building up to his return. From what was said, Demise wanted to consume the world rather than rule it and was more like Majora than Ganondorf.

As I told Koosh, Demise wasn't letting Link go heal himself. He was giving him the choice to fight him or not. He said that if Link had the courage to seek him in the world he would build, not to take his time and prepare for the fight. That was the gameplay perspective of it. The plot perspective was just Demise letting Link collect his thoughts and let him decide if he really wanted to face him or not, because Demise was certain he would get the Triforce whether Link fought him or not. Demise also had a clear portrayal of his pure sense of hatred when he tossed Zelda's body after being resurrected and via his dialogue in the scene before he fought Link. He was just in awe that a human was willing to stand before him, and rightfully so. He had killed countless humans before, and they all cowered in fear of him. He also apparently already knew Hylia had chosen a hero, as he said "Ah, so you are the chosen knight of the goddess". I don't think it's that he was portrayed as honorable. I'd say he was portrayed as someone who had a legitimate interest in his opponent, as he found it hard to believe a human was willing to stand up to him, and that really helps separate him from Ganondorf, as he's all about "I'm going to win, you're going to lose, deal with it". Hew as even incredulous upon his first defeat in OoT, whereas Demise was accepting of it (even though knowing his hate would live on forever played a part in that).

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Their motives are somewhat similar, but not as much as you make them out to be. Ganondorf was jealous of Hyrule and wanted it because of that. Demise just had hatred for the world in general for no apparent reason. The only thing we have to go on is that Demise has hatred for the gods. No explanation as to why. We don't know his motives. We do know Ganondorf's thanks to The Wind Waker. Because of this, I don't think it's fair to compare them as much as you are.

They both want the triforce giving them the power to rule the world. However neither of them want to keep the world the way it is. Demise says something along the lines of: 'If you would stand against the world I would build, come and follow me'. It can be assumed his world would be full of demons similar to the dark world. This is exactly what Ganondorf wants to do as well. Ganondorf want's a world of Darkness most, In ALTTP when he wishes upon the triforce his hearts deepest wish is granted. He is given dominion over the dark world because that is what he would enjoy even more than Hyrule itself. However Ganondorf has an insatiable greed and lust for power, he is never satisfied with anything he gets. In Twilight Princess he also expresses his desire to turn Hyrule into a world of Darkness, saying how he wishes to blot out the light forever, his only request for Zant was to merge shadow and light to create darkness. Only in the very beginning would he have desired Hyrule as it was. By creating a world of darkness and monsters he will have effectively destroyed the world beyond recognition. Zelda's prophecy was that Ganondorf would destroy the world, the destruction of the world could also be referred to as the apocalypse. Demise is first introduced as 'the shadow of the apocalypse'. In this way Demise is an exact copy of Ganon. Whether their original motives differ they both desire the same outcome.

As I told Koosh, Demise wasn't letting Link go heal himself. He was giving him the choice to fight him or not. He said that if Link had the courage to seek him in the world he would build, not to take his time and prepare for the fight. That was the gameplay perspective of it. The plot perspective was just Demise letting Link collect his thoughts and let him decide if he really wanted to face him or not, because Demise was certain he would get the Triforce whether Link fought him or not. Demise also had a clear portrayal of his pure sense of hatred when he tossed Zelda's body after being resurrected and via his dialogue in the scene before he fought Link. He was just in awe that a human was willing to stand before him, and rightfully so. He had killed countless humans before, and they all cowered in fear of him. He also apparently already knew Hylia had chosen a hero, as he said "Ah, so you are the chosen knight of the goddess". I don't think it's that he was portrayed as honorable. I'd say he was portrayed as someone who had a legitimate interest in his opponent, as he found it hard to believe a human was willing to stand up to him, and that really helps separate him from Ganondorf, as he's all about "I'm going to win, you're going to lose, deal with it". Hew as even incredulous upon his first defeat in OoT, whereas Demise was accepting of it (even though knowing his hate would live on forever played a part in that).

Whether to heal or to collect his thoughts, Demise allows link time. I would have thought Demise would insist upon the battle or even attempting to murder link. Ganondorf used to steal from the women and children and he killed people. I highly doubt he cared whether they had sword in hand or if they were unarmed, he was an abominable man who enjoyed causing needless suffering. Demise killed only to achieve his goal and does not insist upon the battle between himself and link. It's not even clear if he planned anything bad for the humans, he only said how he would wipe those who opposed him from the face of the earth. I'm sure gear peddler Rupin would be delighted at the return of the Demon King(he's just got that look about him), just like Ingo was happy that Ganondorf took charge.

In the final battle Demise is kind of 'I'm going to win, you are going to lose, deal with it', since he says 'the only question that remains is how long you will remain standing before I take your life'(I love that line, it reminded me that I do like Demise, perhaps a bit more than I let on. He's still like Ganon though).

I liked him. The first time, I beat the first part by knocking him down and hacking and slashing. I was all like, "YOU BETTA START BRINGIN' IT, B**CH!!!!!" And then the second half came, and I put my sword up. The lightning has never hit my sword, EVER. I kept messing up, and then I watched a guy on Youtube do it, and I was like, "Oh... I... that's how... you do it... heh..."

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I freaking love Demise. People say he didn't have characterization as a villain, but he did; all throughout the game we are told of his actions and character even though he isn't physically there. He may not have shown you much in person, but that along with what is told all throughout the game is quite sufficient; much more, in fact, than most of the villains in the franchise. Ghirahim makes constant references to reviving his master, and we fight Demise's beast form numerous times, so we know what he's capable of even at a lesser form. He commands an entire army of demons, which is said at the beginning when the demon tribe nearly wipes out the human race, and it is made quite apparent at the end when Ghirahim as the surrogate leader sends hundreds if not thousands of the Horde after you. And the presentation is quite awesome; the first time I saw Demise I was truly intimidated by him. The huge bulging muscles, the hair made of fire, and the fact that he only cares to wear a toga paints a picture of a being who knows he can kick your *** and get away with it.

And I had no problems with the fact that you could heal yourself before fighting him. Again, he knows he can kick your *** and views you as a tiny weakling, so to him it makes no difference whether you heal yourself or not. My thoughts mirror that of JuiceJ's on this matter, he's created an alternate dimension to fight in (which gives him so much credit as the most powerful evil being in existence) and beckons you to follow, not just standing there at the bottom of the spiral descent shooting the breeze.

Gameplay wise, he's the hardest boss I've fought by far. I never did learn the trick to drawing lightning into your sword, so I had to fight him using pure sword skills. No reliance on stupid cheap tricks or glitches, I had to develop new strategies on the spot while fighting him. And I died three times before I finally eked out a victory with only six hearts left. And even though I know the supposed "real" way to fight him now, out of respect for him I refuse to ever use that cheap move. And I loved the fighting arena itself as well, it wasn't just a random patch of dirt with dark, gloomy skies overhead like it's been done so much before, it's in an ALTERNATE DIMENSION, in what appears to be Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia in the rainy season!

Best final boss fight ever!

D

DuckofDestiny

I actually thought Demise was kind of easy IMO. First part was simple, but the second part was tricky at first, but once I got the hang of it, I was fine.

*upon seeing Demise for the first time*

My girlfriend: Who is that?

Me: Ganondorf but not...

My Girlfriend: Dude looks like Akuma.

Me: Oooohh, he does!

^ that was the most fun i got out of Demise, the battle was annoying (easy and then overly easy again once you know how to strike him so that he never blocks), him implementation into the narrative was awful and the biggest Zelda induced facepalm in history on my end was had with Demise's famous last words... Even though the fight was disappointing, the character himself was disappointing and the game he was in was disappointing, these weren't the worst things about him, those final words were.

"Oh you're kidding me, man, on ZD there are gonna be sooo many Demise curse threads..."

Hate him for his lack of challenge, his design, his role in the game and the linearity of the fight itself. The battle area looked nice though.

LavaAnon

The Forever Gamer
I personally think that he was a pretty decent boss, he has difficulty because he takes off 4-6 hearts per hit. He was pretty easy thought mainly because he was too easy to figure out and master, other than those points, he was pretty good.

Hey newbe here but i have a saw too lol.
I thought he was a good boss. I thought the build up was great and i did not think that the optino to save and do other things hurt it cuz it was optional. And look at Majora's Mask they gave you a mask that if you wanted to keep it you HAD to use it and when you did the battle was absolutly deplorable.
The thing that bugs me is people say that he is just an over worked Ganondorf. Yes i think that is is true (cuz i saw it too), but people forget to see the Zelda games as the stories that they are. this is SUPPOSED to be the first Zelda game in the timeline. SO Having a boss that emobodies all the other bosses including Ganondorf and then Saying that 'Me and my Kin will continue to pursue the Triforce' is not a bad thing. They are trying to flush the grand story of Zelda out. Plus even in Hyrule Historia it says that 'When Demise comes back through the eons but LOOKS DIFFERENT TO EACH PERSON.' That is why they HAD to make him look like a recognizable character.
I thought though that the battle was too short. Other Weaker bosses in the series had more complex forms and changes but that could be forgiven.
Anyway, that is my take on Demise.

Anyone else notice that he had an upside down tri-force on his 'ghirahim blade'?

when i first saw him, i was like :O how am i supposed to beat him??and when we started fighting i was scared. all i can say is he is more scary then ganon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom