• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Were the Zonai the Ancient Ones?

A couple months ago I wrote this and posted a copy on some other social media and I wanted to post a copy here on ZD too for anyone who is interested (it has some links in it to back up my claims with evidence and for further explanation on the connections because some people explain some things better than I do) and one of the reasons why I wanted to post a copy here on ZD is because I've been working on this theory for several months and so I wanted to share it here too. So read it and let me know what you think.

(My post/theory starts here)

"I've got a question. My question is: Is the Great Plateau and the Thundra Plateau the same place or connected to each other? I never played BOTW and I can't afford a new console, but I've watched a bunch of Let's Play on Youtube (a lot of them were LIVE too) and of course a whole bunch of Zelda theory videos on Youtube, but I don't remember everything I saw in those Let's Play videos, and I don't know if the Great Plateau and the Thundra Plateau the same place or connected to each other. You tell me.

King Rhoam said: "This is the Great Plateau. According to Legend, this is the birthplace of the entire kingdom of Hyrule."

I wonder.

The Thundra Plateau is a Zonai creation:

And as you can see here, the Zonai suffered a terrible fate at the hands of the Hylian royals who wanted to silence the Zonai because the Zonai were the true keepers of the lore and history of Hyrule and the Hylian royals didn't want the truth to come out and the people of Hyrule to find out about the atrocities committed by the Hylian royal family, the Hylian royals also told the Sheikah to steal and appropriate the Zonai architecture and technology and take credit for the Zonai's creations.

Also, see this:

If the Great Plateau and the Thundra Plateau the same place or connected to each other, then the Zonai tribe might have something to do with the birthplace/origins of the entire kingdom of Hyrule. Something that the Hylian royal family wouldn't want people to know about, which might be one of the reasons why the Hylian royals falsely portrayed the Zonai as "mere savages" and wiped them out in a genocide.

And it reminds me of how the Hylian royal family killed a bunch of people (including a bunch of Sheikah) in a village to make sure their secrets stay secret and that no one there would would ever reveal or expose the atrocities committed by the Hylian royal family, like building torture/killing chambers all over Hyrule (the Shadow Temple, the Well of Three Features, Arbiter's grounds, etc) to torture and kill anyone who disagrees with them on anything or questions them in any way or anyone who wanted freedom from Hylian monarchy really:

(To see more watch my playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzG_3q50DuPkRcOm-vIy4hvnUyvKV5O-t)

Folks, it's all part of the same thing, keep all of this in mind as you read the rest of this post. You'll see all the connections as you keep reading.

Also, I've been watching a lot of Zelda theory videos and thinking a lot lately.

Not so long ago, I posted a link to a fanfiction series I wrote entitled "The last of the Ancient Ones" (it's a series in three parts, three one-shots, plus a couple companion pieces) and this story explains all the connections and it also has Link and the Happy Mask Salesman as the main characters:

https://archiveofourown.org/series/1500296

If you haven't read my "The last of the Ancient Ones" series, what are you waiting for? Go read it. It's a sequel to "Majora's Mask" that's somewhat AU. If you've already read it, I trust you remember most if not all of what was said in that fanfiction series, so you'll have no problem understanding what I'm talking about in this post and the connections I'm making.

Like I said, I've been watching a lot of Zelda theory videos and thinking a lot lately. Years ago, I used to believe that the Happy Mask Salesman's people, the Ancient Ones who sealed Majora's Mask, were the same tribe as the Shadow Clan, the ancestors of the Twili who created the Fused Shadows in Twilight Princess (the Japanese version calls them the Shadow Clan, "interlopers" was a made up thing that the dumb translators at Nintendo of America totally made up, and you can clearly see from the Lanayru cutscene that the ancestors of the Twili came from the exact same world as Link and Zelda, they were NOT "interlopers" and they are never called "interlopers" in the Japanese version, the Japanese version calls them the "Shadow Clan"). I'm not the only one who believed that they are the same tribe. A lot of people believed that. And a lot of people still do. Not me, not anymore. I was dead wrong and I no longer believe that. I now believe that the Happy Mask Salesman's people, the Ancient Ones had nothing to do with the Shadow Clan and their Twili descendants and had everything to do with the Zonai tribe mentioned in Breath of the Wild and strongly hinted at in the Breath of the Wild 2 trailers.

In fact, I have good reasons to believe that the Zonai tribe from BOTW and the Ancient Ones (the Happy Mask Salesman's people) who sealed Majora's "Mask in Majora's Mask" are the same tribe (yes, I believe that the Happy Mask Salesman's people and the Zonai tribe are one and the same tribe and I've always though that most of the Happy Mask Salesman's people were interdimensional travelers and time travelers like him). Both the Zonai tribe and the Ancient Ones are a tribe of masterful magic wielders/spellcasters and architects (and probably interdimensional and time travelers like the Happy Mask Salesman too) that went into hiding and was wiped out from the face of the world. Part of the tribe was wiped out by the Hylian royal family in Hyrule and the another part of the tribe established in their Kingdom of Ikana was wiped out in Termina after the demon wars that brought Demise to the surface.

And remember when the Happy Mask salesman told Link that the Ancient Ones, the ancient tribe that sealed the Majora's Mask vanished and so no one knows the truth nature of the mask's powers? Well, guess what? It's either a gross mistranslation or a deliberate sugar-coating by the translators, because the Japanese version doesn't say that the tribe vanished, it says that the tribe was DESTROYED, you know, as in butchered, massacred, in a mass genocide, after going into hiding, the race/species of the Ancient Ones was wiped out from the face of the world and the Happy Mask Salesman is the sole survivor of his people, the last of the Ancient Ones, how would you feel if you woke up tomorrow morning and found out you're the last human being, the last of your species, in the whole universe? Think about how he felt).

Both the Zonai tribe and the Ancient Ones are a tribe of masterful magic wielders/spellcasters and architects (and probably interdimensional and time travelers like the Happy Mask Salesman too) that went into hiding and was wiped out from the face of the world.

This cannot be a coincidence, and the universe is rarely so lazy. For now I will just give you a few examples, but when I have some free time on my hands I will make a more detailed post on this social media and I'll give you the link as soon as it is posted, so you can go read it. I just want to do some more research first.

But what we know about the Zonai tribe and what they have in common with the Ancient ones is this; they were masterful magic-wielders/spellcasters and architects (the Zonai built big statues and structures and the Ancient Ones built the Stone Tower Temple and other things in Ikana and probably other places in Termina, also the Stone Tower Temple has engravings of Majora's mask plastered all over it, it was built by the tribe that sealed Majora's Mask and Majora's mask was sealed in the boss chamber where Link fight Twinmold and in that "room"/pocket dimension where Link fight Twinmold there's big pillars with engravings of Majora's mask, that "room" can be access via a portal to a pocket dimension, the Ancient Ones were probably interdimensional travelers like the Happy Mask Salesman.

Also Igos du Ikana, king of the Ancient Ones, wear the emblem of Stone Tower Temple on the front of his cloak (brooch) or the Stone Tower Temple emblem is the same emblem as Ikana's Royal family's, and Igos du Ikana knew about "the light of justice" aka the light arrows and how they can be used to invert the tower as he told Link), he also knew about the Elegy of Emptiness (proving that the song was composed by the Ancient Ones, we've seen the Happy Mask salesman playing a song composed by his people on a piano to cure Link and break the Deku curse on him) and he taught it to Link, the Ancient Ones had to go into hiding and they were mass genocided, except a tiny handful of them who became undeads like Igos and his two guards because of the curse on the land of Ikana, and both the Zonai tribe and the Ancient Ones knew about the triforce (the Zonai built statues of owls, dragons and boars which represent courage, wisdom and power, and there were engravings of the triforce on Stone Tower Temple and the pillars in Ikana in the ORIGINAL Majora's Mask game for the N64, I'm still furious that Nintendo removed them in the 3DS remake of "Majora's Mask" for no freaking reason and this is why I will never play remakes, because they're full of dishonesty, censorship, and half truths).

Also, I've always been pretty sure that the Ancient Ones, the Happy Mask Salesman and his people (most of whom I believed were interdimensional travelers and time travelers like him), were serving Ciela, the Kami/Goddess of Time and Courage seen in "Phantom Hourglass" and mentioned a couple times in "Majora's Mask" (and Tatl pray to Ciela the goddess of time who often take the form of a fairy when Link is trying to retrieve his Ocarina from the Skull Kid, Tatl said "Somebody! Anybody!!! Goddess of Time, help us please! We need more time!", also it's important to note that Ciela is the one and only character in the Japanese version of the series/franchise to be called the KAMI (goddess) of Time, yes she and her two companion Leaf and Neri are called KAMI in the Japanese version so they are DEITIES who choose to appear in fairy form so as not to scare the mortals off, Ciela the goddess of time used her divine time freezing powers to help the Hero of Wind defeat Bellum, she's friends with two other KAMIS (gods, goddesses, deities); Leaf the god of power, Neri the goddess of wisdom, and Ciela the goddess of time is the granddaughter of Oshus the Ocean King/god of the oceans which she always calls gramps, all of them are called KAMI in the Japanese version of "Phantom Hourglass",even Bellum, all of those KAMI or deities were sealed in their own temples by the evil Kami/god Bellum, "Phantom Hourglass" is basically centered around a conflict between the god Oshus and the god Bellum in the World of the Ocean King and stopping Bellum from taking over both the World of the Ocean King and Link's world).

Ciela the Kami/Goddess of Time and Courage use her divine time-controlling powers to help Link defeat the evil Kami/God Bellum:

I've always been pretty sure that the Ancient Ones, the Happy Mask Salesman and his people (most of whom I believed were interdimensional travelers and time travelers like him), were serving Ciela, the Kami/Goddess of Time and Courage seen in "Phantom Hourglass" and mentioned a couple times in "Majora's Mask" (mentioned by Tatl too). Well turns out the Zonai are associated with the virtue of courage and its wind spiral symbol (as seen on the Forest Medallion, the Kokiri emerald, the Deku shield, the doors in the Forest Temple in Twilight Princess, and everything related to the virtue of courage and the wind element, yes, the wind element, like the spiral symbol on Goddess Ciela's Temple of Wind). And Ciela the Kami/Goddess of Time and COURAGE was sealed by Bellum in her own temple in the World of the Ocean King (another parallel universe/alternate reality to Hyrule with alternate copies of inhabitants of Hyrule, like Termina), THE TEMPLE OF WIND, even though she managed to partially escape from the seal. Also, when the Zonai were in Hyrule, they were hanging around the spring of courage and sometimes serving a water dragon, probably a water dragon that was a follower of the Goddss of Time and Courage.

The wind/air element is always connected to the virtue of courage and the color green. Remember, in my "The last of the Ancient Ones" fanfiction series, I explain why and how Ciela and Navi are in fact the same being, the same entity, and how Ciela the Goddess of Time and Courage take the form of a fairy in both "Phantom Hourglass" and "Ocarina of Time". And Navi/Ciela chose to become the guide of the bearer of the triforce OF COURAGE (she was directly guiding and helping the Hero of Time in Hyrule and the Hero of Wind in the world of the Ocean King, and she was helping the Hero of Termina in Termina as an invisible presence that was guiding him and that Tatl was praying to when they needed more time to get the Ocarina back, "Somebody! Anybody!!! Goddess of Time, help us please! We need more time!" - Tatl the fairy), she wanted to help the one with the virtue of courage. The wind and courage spiral symbol is found all over the Zonai tribe architecture and the Goddess Ciela's Temple of Wind. There is no doubt about it the Zonai tribe/the Ancient Ones, including the Happy Mask Salesman, were serving Ciela the Goddess of Time and Courage.

Also, the Ancient Ones obviously loved music and composed a few melodies like the Song of Healing, but I'm pretty sure they also composed the Elegy of Emptiness, the Song of Time, and the Song of Storm, yes the song of storm that purified and saved one of the two composer brothers, the one that had fallen to corruption, the composer brothers were serving under Igos du Ikana, king of the Ancient Ones and suffered because of the curse on the land of Ikana, just like king Igos and his guards.

Also, I know some of the Ancient Ones (part of the tribe) were wiped out by some gods in Termina, unjustly, because their king forced them to fight on Demise's side during the demon wars and they had no control over or any say in their leaders' decisions. I'm not disputing any of that (and there's a lot of evidence for that) and I couldn't agree more with people who rightly think so too. But I think that the Hylian royal family also played a role in the genocide against the Ancient Ones and that part of the tribe living in Hyrule was slaughtered by the Hylian royals (like I said about the Happy Mask Salesman's people, I believe that many of them were interdimensional travelers and time travelers like him) and that they wanted to silence the Ancient Ones/the Zonai tribe because they knew things that the Hylian royal family didn't want them to know. It's also very possible that the Ancient Ones/the Zonai tribe were keepers of lore and history (there's also a lot of evidence for that) and that's why the Hylian royal family wanted them dead, because they knew about some of the atrocities that the Hylian royal family committed against the other species/people of Hyrule. HMK talks about this in his video entitled: "The Zonai History FT. NintendoBlackCrisis | Zelda Theory".

That's all I have for now.

But I highly recommend you watch those two videos that I mentioned above ("The Zonai history ft. NintendoBlackCrisis | Zelda theory" and "The sins of royal family - Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom", also you can check out my playlists for other theories I mentioned here relating to the Zonai, Ancient Ones, royal family and everything else.

Listen, I was wondering. When you have free time on your own, could you folks maybe, just maybe, do some research online (whether it's articles, Youtube videos, blogs, websites, etc) and see if you can find more connections between the Zonai tribe and the Ancient Ones? Maybe if a bunch of us do research on this, we might find connections that the others didn't think of or hasn't noticed yet. And if you have friends who are into theorizing and that sort of thing, maybe you can get them to do research on this too. If there's a couple of us researching this, it'll make it easier to find more and more connections that some of us haven't noticed or found yet. Maybe you'll find something I didn't know about. If you find anything I haven't mentioned in my post here, please let me know.

Btw, on page 413 of the book "Creating a champion", about "The mysterious Zonai", it is said that there is a massive palace in Faron in BOTW. Do you think the Zonai tribe/the Ancient Ones built it? Who do you supposed lived there? Why Faron? I though that region was covered in forest, moss and mushrooms, and in BOTW Faron is a tropical rainforest, that seems like a strange place to build a castle. Why not build it near a village or outside a city in some other region? What do you think of all this, folks? I couldn't find picture of the massive palace online. If you find a link can you share it with me, please? I want to see what the massive palace looks like and if the architecture has engravings of the wind/courage spiral symbol on it and maybe engravings that are glowing green. Also, according to the book "Creating a Champion", the name Zonai is based on the Japanese word for "mystery", and the most mysterious of all characters in the Zelda franchise is the Happy Mask Salesman."

(My post/theory ends here)

So this is what I wrote a few months back and I posted a copy on some social media and I wanted to post a copy here on ZD for anyone who is interested (it has some links in it to back up my claims with evidence and for further explanation on the connections because some people explain some things better than I do). Like I said earlier, I hope you read it and let me know what I think, and maybe you ZD folks can also assist me in my research for more of those connections.

Take care,

Kat.

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
Its interesting the Zonai and Hylians procreated together. It could be why Hylians, and other species get the pointed ears of Zonai, because it is said Gerudos and others did not originally have pointy ears.

Its interesting the Zonai and Hylians procreated together. It could be why Hylians, and other species get the pointed ears of Zonai, because it is said Gerudos and others did not originally have pointy ears.
My recent thinking is the Oocca are the original inhabitants of Hyrule and the ancient ones.

The Barbarians emerged on the surface, red-haired. As did Goron, Parella. The barbarians may be invaders or settlers.

I think the Zonai are the tribe who was fooled to have the HMS entity (maybe figurative) "remove" their self-doubt. That's the evil that's Majora, it's both self-doubt, but also the evil that comes from removing self-doubt. Arrogance, no boundaries. False courage.

So I've been thinking this act brings the Zonai into Hyrule, and they ally with or employ Demise to breach the goddess's protection. Seeing the folly of this, they give up their power, seal their "Majora's Mask" (fused shadow), and slowly become the Picori whose only purpose is to help make up for their mistakes and protect Hyrule. They give up their great power.

However, some group of the Zonai mates with the Barbarians, and these become the Lomei race. The only example of this is the Ancient Hero of BOTW. I think some Lomei unsealed the Fused Shadow, and the Gerudo and Hylians punished them by exiling them and torturing and killing them.

So, it goes like this:
Barbarians -> Gerudo (with mixing with Hylians)
Oocca + Barbarians = Hylians
Zonai + Barbarians = Lomei
Parella + Barbarians = Zora -> Rito

Something like that

Spoilers:
LomeiTheory.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom