• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Weakest Part of Skyward Sword

Rytex

Resident Netizen
The thing I disliked most was the Harp. For a game with a musical instrument, it sure did not live up to expectation. You could only use it at certain points, and for the most part, it was pretty useless otherwise. I liked the first three 3D games, where you could use the resident musical instrument(s in MM) to play custom songs if you wanted to, merely by altering the pitch of the notes. Not so in SS, where all you could do was strum the harp in a certain area.

AnimeHat

Humming Swordsman
In my opinion, the overworld was the weakest part of Skyward Sword. A civilization in the sky is an interesting story element and seems like a good idea at first, but when it comes down to traveling between provinces it's rather annoying. You cannot access the areas from the ground and you are forced to travel back up into the sky and find the portal to that province. I don't find it "absolutely terrible," as Mases would put it, but I wish Nintendo had made the game with this in mind.
I also thought that the Harp was a weak element as well. Although a beautiful instrument and a handful of excellently composed songs to accompany it, it seemed as if there was no challenge at all to playing it other than moving the Wiimote back and forth in time with the rhythm.
To sum it up, not more sky islands, Nintendo!

I disliked the fact that you had to go back to the same areas on three different occasions. Sure they were different things each time but I find it ridiculous. An overworld would have been nice as well. Also the bosses could have been a little less predictable in my opinion.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
There are ALOT of things I found were weak points in SS. I'm very tempted to 100% agree with SpiritofZant's response, but there were actually some things I thought it did right. If I had to pinpoint its biggest problem though, it would be that SS tried really hard to be different. We Zelda fans get the sterotype of "It's different! RAGE!" but that's not what I'm talking about. When you have Zelda games, you have certain expectations; that's to be expected with any game series. Of course at the same time you need new concepts to make the game more interesting than previous installments. I don't mind different, but when you're so different you stray very far from being a Zelda game, that's when I start complaining. Rather than being suited for Zelda lovers, SS seemed to be suited for the "casual gamer." This is why the game is too easy, its why exploration is lacking, and its why you don't actually have to memorize songs with your harp.

Basically if I could change SS, I would want Nintendo to make this game with Zelda fans in mind moreso than they did. I know they want to bring in more gamers to the Zelda series, but I think they did a better job with TP in making it appealing to more people while still keeping it "Zelda-y". I honestly feel SS suffered from trying to please outsiders.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I loved SS... but of course it wasnt perfect and there were parts that I wasn't crazy about.
For example; The imprisoned. Ugh! just ugh!
The harp was also annoying, sounds good on paper but when you actually do it... its well, annoying
I quite liked the overworld design (Feel free to disagree) however having to return to the sky to get from say Eldin volcano to Lanaryu Desert was really tedious and repetitive

Another thing. I don't like how in order to do hero mode you have to overwrite the save you used to beat the game. I know you can just duplicate the save file but I still found it rather annoying.

T

themaddoughnut

For me it wasn't just Skyward Sword's lack of an overworld, but lack of characters as well. Skyloft was basically the only place with a believable population. I mean, how many Kikwi were there? Like, 5? I really don't like how small and uninhabited the many locations were. Also, I feel the game had such a beautiful design, yet such little to experience. There was a lot of back-tracking where I thought a whole new area could've been visited instead.
I personally didn't mind Fi, but her attitude was a bit too cold for me (except for a second there at the end). I really like Midna/King of Red Lions type of sidekicks, with actual personalities, great back stories, and funny comments. Fi actually sort of freaked me out in the sense that she was so serious . . . it was the first time in a Zelda game I felt like everything would blow up if I didn't do something quick enough (other sidekicks usually seem more laid back and give you a greater sense to go explore). Fi was all "I suggest you go look for this, I recommend you do this" I didn't like it.
The characters were not very memorable, the Sky was too empty, the Surface was much much much too closed in. Not even a Hyrule Field sort of area to just goof around in. I felt sometimes the basic overworld was a little annoying to traverse as well, especially the Eldin Volcano region. I understand it's fun to have little obstacles and enemies here and there, but this was a bit extreme. I sometimes didn't even feel like playing because I knew I'd have to go back and go through a certain annoying area again.
There's sooo much I could say but I really don't have the time right now. Somehow, though, even with all of these weak spots, I did enjoy the game. I felt it was nothing like a Zelda game, however.
you're saying skyloft has a believable population? HAH! there was only maybe 20 people living there and maybe 12 people in the graveyard.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
you're saying skyloft has a believable population? HAH! there was only maybe 20 people living there and maybe 12 people in the graveyard.
Sure enough it had like 20ish people, but it was a small community in a very small land mass. Compared to the surface of Hyrule, Skyloft is basically a metropolis!

I mean, there were so few indigenous people seen, and I would venture a guess that the races were already established and living well off their means. To see so few, that is incredibly unbelievable.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Sure enough it had like 20ish people, but it was a small community in a very small land mass. Compared to the surface of Hyrule, Skyloft is basically a metropolis!

I mean, there were so few indigenous people seen, and I would venture a guess that the races were already established and living well off their means. To see so few, that is incredibly unbelievable.

You have to keep in mind that Nintendo isn't going to make areas with large amounts of people that each have a personality. There's no reason to do so. It's more about the fact that, if the story were real, Skyloft would be freaking massive and have thousands upon thousands of people. I'd also much rather have less people and each one have his or her own personality than a large area with lots of people, but only a few to talk to. Look at Castle Town in TP. Lots of people, right? How many of them had any character whatsoever to them? Despite having more people, it felt more empty than Skyloft (at least to me). Plus, having Skyloft as crowded as TP Castle Town was? How tedious would that have been?

Also, if you're going to complain about Skyloft, why not the Kokiri Forest? Or Outset Island? Or Ordon? Or pretty much any other village/town in Zelda. Zelda's never had tons of characters to interact with in one specific area, and it doesn't need to. It really baffles me how people complain about things in modern titles when the exact same things are in past ones.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nah, for Skyloft's land mass and it being how it is (a Sky Island, are you kidding me?), the population is just about right. Maybe some 5-10 more live people, but nothing like Castle Town [TP]'s crowd. The personality is a nice thing, sure, and makes Skyloft all the more believable.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Nah, for Skyloft's land mass and it being how it is (a Sky Island, are you kidding me?), the population is just about right. Maybe some 5-10 more live people, but nothing like Castle Town [TP]'s crowd. The personality is a nice thing, sure, and makes Skyloft all the more believable.

Oh. I thought you were saying it wasn't believable. I must have read it wrong. (Can you really blame me, though?) XD

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The weakest part of Skyward Sword in my opinion would have to be Hylia. Her backstory was so unexplained, so useless, so trivial that her existence wasn't even warranted within the Zelda universe. Why did Zelda have to serve a dual personality role? WHy did Nintendo decide to take that route with her? Hylia killed what I thought could be an amazing rendition of 'Princess' Zelda completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom