• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Water Temple Overrated?

T

TURTLESKICKU

I Find the water temple to be very overrated for be too challenging. Really the temple isn't that hard, you just enter some rooms more than once. Post your thoughts below.

Beeker

Wild Card
The Water Temple is overrated. I think it's because of the constant backtracking needed to be done in the dungeon. Even in my first playthrough, I found it just a little annoying and only got lost once. Yes, it can be annoying, and yes it can be confusing, but it is not as hard as some of the fans make it up to be.

It's only really difficult for the first time playing, and after you've finished the game several times you know pretty well where to find all the keys.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's overrated as too challenging, I agree. If you remember to work 'bottom up', you'll get all keys even if you forget where one is. It isn't as hard as most people say it is, the temple itself is just big and the size scares people into saying it's a hard temple.

Agreed to all who mention that this temple is overrated for its size and backtracking. I remember it being painful for me when I was younger playing it for the first time, but honestly the forest temple was worse my first run through. I also think that new OoT players get discouraged by the exposure to most generalists thinking that the water temple is the hardest temple. I mean even some popular gaming sites give the water temple a rating on the "Top 10 hardest water levels". I think its just like any other zelda dungeon, work through it, you'll figure it out, and feel the reward of enduring! :)

I'm really excited to try this game on the 3DS to see the improvements they made to the map and the controls for using boots. I hate Start/Equip menus :)

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I'm not sure if you mean "overrated", maybe you mean excedingly critisised. I don't find it to be as such, I found it much easier than I had anticipated. Actually, before I started it, I told my brother, hey look I'm at the Water Temple! And he was all like " Haha, you'll be doin' that dungeon for months son"... Yeah!

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I think it depends on how you see it. It is very tedious to have to pause every minute to change boots and constantly changing the water level. In actual difficulty, I don't find it that hard, but that's probably because I am very good at spacial thinking. Not everybody is good at that kind of puzzles, so it's obviously gonna give problems to a group of people.

So, I guess it does sorta deserve the reputation for being tedious. Actual Difficulty-wise, it's very tricky to try to determine, because not everybody is good with spatial thinking, just as I already said.

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
I guess it just seemed harder because the other dungeons were much easier, in my opinion. But overall it didn't take that much longer than the other dungeons. Just backtracking and collecting as many keys as possible and changing the water level a couple of times. So yeah I agree, it's very overrated.

I like the water temple. As a kid, it was very difficult, and I couldn't solve the puzzles. Nowadays, I enjoy the massive size and atmosphere of the dungeon. I think it is underrated as a lot of people hate it for its difficulty.

Link 2 the past

Slashy Slashy
This implies that the Water Temple is highly rated, when in fact most fans seem to hate it. Anyway, the whole thing with the iron boots and changing the water level has been talked about to death, but you do get probably the best item in the game in this dungeon, one the best mini bosses in Zelda history and a boss you can fight in a number of different ways.

One minor thing I wish they had fixed in the 3DS version, with no spikes in the corners you can beat the boss without even having to move, that's really lame! Just have spikes all the way round the room.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I think one of the crucial factors is when you played it. If you played it recently (by that I mean WAY after OoT first came out) or if it wasn't one of your first 3D Zelda games, the water temple may not have seemed as hard. OoT was the first 3D Zelda and thus brought with it a new concept of temples, with the water temple being the most difficult to remember and considered tedious due to the iron boots. But if you played other 3D Zelda games or played OoT a long time after it came out, your mind is more used to the difficulty level and type of thinking that comes with 3D Zelda's. This isn't a universal rule, of course, but I feel that its a heavy factor. I played OoT sometime after WW came out and it was my second Zelda game, after MM. I did find the water temple more difficult and tedious than the others, but, not to the extent that the hype has brought it out to be. I actually had a lot of fun with that temple my first time through.

So I don't think its over-hyped for its time. But I think that people who play it from now on won't find it as difficult as those who played it for the first time did.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Yes, I too think that the difficulty of the Water Temple is a bit overrated. In the recent hardest OoT dungeons poll I rated it only 4th place. To sum it up again, I think it only got that reputation because of two reasons: 1. The annoying boot exchanging issue and 2. the fact that you can easily end up missing a key before that one locked door which holds the boss key chest. But with compass and map in hand, finding all the keys isn't that hard and the boots issue has been fixed in OoT3DS. Also the enemies and the boss aren't anything to worry about.
IMO the Forest temple and the Great Bay temple totally pwn the Water Temple when it comes to both puzzles and enemies!

HappyMaskSlsman

Smilus Creepus
I, quite frankly, found the Water Temple to be a bit of a relief from the ususal Ocarina of Time temples. Not only was it relatively straight forward (if you understand the dungeon's layout), but the enemies were scarce and the puzzles were few. Yes, there is (apparently, though I have never encountered such an error) a way that you can get eternally stuck in the temple, unable to progress, but this seems a difficult feet in itself. No matter,it maintains its legacy as being fairly confusing, as each passageway is nearly identical. There are those who will claim the N64 version's layout of switching in and out of the Iron Boots was tedious, but I found it to be a small bother. Despite its infamous difficulty, players cannot deny that it was also rather beneficial in that they are treated to the legendary Dark Link battle and obtain an upgrade to (argueably) the coolest item in the game. Let's not forget that the Boss can be defeated easily without Link sustaining any damage, should he choose to stand in the corner of the room. Of course, what fun would that be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom