• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Was Revisiting a Theme a Good Choice?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So in Skyward Sword we have two fire dungeons: the Earth Temple as well as Fire Sanctuary. They both play with the same theme - Fire - but actually go about it slightly differently. Where the Earth temple focuses on harnessing Fire, the Sanctuary shines light on the old TWW mechanic of hardened lava. Now my question is, do you think revisiting the theme was a good choice and worthwhile? I personally loved that they did it, and they did it excellently. :)

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Nope. I don't think it was a good idea at all. To me, it showed lack of creativity. I probably would've been fine if everything had been cooped up in one temple, even if it had been long. Would the water temple from OoT really have been more enjoyable if it had been split in two? Not to say that there isn't a way revisiting themes could've been done and suceeded. OoT had revisiting themes but they were diverse enough that it worked well. (It also helped that the theme was revisiting what you had already experienced, but as an adult)

Salem

SICK
It depends on the theme, there isn't really much you can do with a fire themed dungeon that doesn't need to be split into two dungeons.
Nope. I don't think it was a good idea at all. To me, it showed lack of creativity. I probably would've been fine if everything had been cooped up in one temple, even if it had been long. Would the water temple from OoT really have been more enjoyable if it had been split in two? Not to say that there isn't a way revisiting themes could've been done and suceeded. OoT had revisiting themes but they were diverse enough that it worked well. (It also helped that the theme was revisiting what you had already experienced, but as an adult)
That's a scary thought.

I think it's alright if you show obvious changes between the two. In general though, I'm not a fan of theming dungeons based off elements ( fire water forest) I thought skyward sword mixed it up a bit. The ancient cistern wasn't just a water temple, it changed as you went umderground. It really felt fresh for the series.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think its alright to have similar and revisited dungeon themes. It allows you to get the most out a concept and it allows the developers to do more with it. SS never got repetitive in these dungeons. Both had their own unique areas and what not, but each borrowed similar ideas. I see nothing wrong with that.

Big Octo

=^)
I'm fine with it, so long as they're not too terribly similar. I enjoyed the way it was done in Skyward Sword, as well as other games, such as Ocarina of Time. If done again I'm sure I won't be phazed by it.

I liked how there was the basic same theme, but the thing was there were totally different ideas in each of the temples. The Earth Temple was really the more fire based dungeon, you had to roll on this ball to avoid the lava. The Fire Sanctuary had cool concepts also, like getting water to make platforms on the lava, and the digging all the way below ground. The Fire Sanctuary had some good puzzles also. Like the one to get the boss key, and the one to decide were to jump off the cliff.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
actually the earth temple is based on...freaking earth,there's way more magma activity than there was fire
otherwise i didn't care,it probably would've been better to use a different element but what can you do

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom