• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Virtual Events

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
With the coronavirus pandemic ways of working and playing have changed dramatically.

Virtual events such as markets, concerts, and festivals have started popping up more frequently - some even using technologies like VR to simulate a more realistic experience.

One example I've come across is Shibuya Halloween Fes, designed to keep the crowds of people away from Shibuya this halloween (it gets incredibly crowded to the extent that you can hardly breathe under the pressure of surrounding people in certain places of Shibuya each year, which is not ideal for virus containment or social distancing). Another event that was cancelled in Japan due to safety concerns was Comiket (the twice annual comic book market which saw over 700,000 attendees in the Summer 2019 weekend), and so Comic Vket has popped up, allowing users to attend a similar convention and browse products to purchase using VR Chat. I think these are pretty cool and innovative ways to make the best of a difficult situation, it's also pretty cool that these can allow people to attend no matter where in the world they are located.

Have you ever attended an online event like these, a concert, or even just a lower key gathering via Zoom or some other software? What did you think?

I've not attended any events like these online as of yet, but if the pandemic drags on a lot longer perhaps I'll start to check them out.

I don't have a Zoom account yet, but if I get my new computer before Icon For Hire releases Amorphous, they're doing a Zoom call with all Kickstarter backers as an album release show. It'd be something to look forward to experiencing if I am able to attend the call, of course. Album is estimated for release in December; they're lovingly recording it from home.

Well, I guess the only thing you could classify as an event I've added virtually was a Zoom Q&A with Andrew Yang hosted by university. It was definitely a bit awkward with everyone just typing in chat and lots of questions being answered quite late. It is nothing like doing so in person.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
I haven't attended any yet, though I almost did try to sign up for some virtual panels from a technology convention that was free this year because it was exclusively online. I didnt end up booking any of the panels, though.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I’ve just recently attended a National Youth Disability Summit virtually for work, which went for 5 days. The talks were mostly around disability and identity, and disability and employment. It was definitely an interesting experience and I think for summits and other symposium style events, holding them virtually enables people like me, and many of the participants at the center I work at, who wouldn’t normally be able to go, to attend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom