• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legend of Zelda VikzeLink's Weekly Sunday Poll 79!

Did you beat the original TLoZ with or without the guide here on ZD (or another one)?

• With Guide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Without Guide

• Haven't Beaten it yet

• Haven't Played it

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I finished both quests of that in the 80's. Without a guide. 2nd quest is a lot of trial and error though (what to do with all the dungeon walls and new places for all the overworld caves).
I have to say finding all the overworld caves was a little too much trial and error. But overall the game si beatable without a guide.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I finished both quests of that in the 80's. Without a guide. 2nd quest is a lot of trial and error though (what to do with all the dungeon walls and new places for all the overworld caves).
I have to say finding all the overworld caves was a little too much trial and error. But overall the game si beatable without a guide.

Ya there was too much bombing of random walls, and burning of bushes, simply because you were 1 block away you leave thinking it must have been another spot...

Thats why its definitely not my favorite zelda game. Zelda 2 was much better in regards to the just randomly trying to find things, as it actually gave you hints.

I did it without a guide, mainly because at the time, I had never heard of a guide.

Ya there was too much bombing of random walls, and burning of bushes, simply because you were 1 block away you leave thinking it must have been another spot...

Thats why its definitely not my favorite zelda game. Zelda 2 was much better in regards to the just randomly trying to find things, as it actually gave you hints.
Well there is only a limited section of each screen in Zelda 1 that can bombed or burnt (overworld) and for the dungeons (apart from a couple of obvious exceptions) the rooms are displayed by the map when you get it so you know which walls might have an entrance to the next room. Yes trial and error but not as bad as it sounds. The big issue is not all of this. The issue is simply not enough bombs at one time to trial and error everything, you had to always be on the search for bombs as monster loot.

Salem

SICK
Well there is only a limited section of each screen in Zelda 1 that can bombed or burnt (overworld) and for the dungeons (apart from a couple of obvious exceptions) the rooms are displayed by the map when you get it so you know which walls might have an entrance to the next room. Yes trial and error but not as bad as it sounds. The big issue is not all of this. The issue is simply not enough bombs at one time to trial and error everything, you had to always be on the search for bombs as monster loot.
I pretty much agree with you there, with the stamina meter, this is a chance for the bomb-able wall thing on dungeons like the NES to be reintroduced, cause you know, you don't run out of bombs anymore. ;)

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
It was only a few months ago that I finally beat the game, and I very difficultly avoided the temptation to use a guide. I got the game when it first came out on the Wii VC, and it took me years to beat it. That was just a casual playthrough though, I doubt I would be able to 100% it myself though, those secrets are very well hidden!

I'm sad to say I used the guide here. The first quest guide is actually quite good just the rest of the game's coverage here is a bit lacking. But I was young and didn't see the value ina failing so much. Played it again recently though without the guide and did quest 2 alone and got all but 1 heart.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I haven't finished the game yet, I'm at the last dungeon, but it's really difficult. I've tried to do most of the game without a guide, but not the hidden dungeon entrances, I don't have the patience for that.

I avoid guides as a long as possible, but I will use one if a game pushes my sanity to the edge, I used a guide to find the entrance of one of the dungeons and the extras I had missed in TLoZ, but not to actually beat the game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom