• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Tutorial: Making a Signature (GIMP Users Only)

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
Excellent tutorial! I really like your signatures, especially the Midna one you are currently using. I like the effects of how it is black outside the middle, I've been trying to find a way to do that, but none look good :(
Thank you! The signature I am using took me two-and-a-half hours of work. I actually looked up a tutorial and learned some more on GIMP and how to use its various features. That tutorial is here: http://dduazo.deviantart.com/art/Advanced-GIMP-Signature-Tut-129846038

Anyways I tried out your tutorial in one of my signature requests, and it went very smoothly. They render was difficult to make for me, because I hate being meticulous when I cut things out. Usually I do the fuzzy border tool, delete, and then brush it over with an eraser or use a blur.

This is how it turned out.
lumasig.png

I'm not sure if I like it too much. Your tutorial was GREAT, but I didn't get too creative with this signature. I blended it a little bit with my own style, mainly the lighting. For that I made a new white layer, went to Filters>Artistic>GIMPressionist>Ballpark>Motion Blur (100-150 Length and whatever angle). Then set it to overlay, and then I go to Colors>brightness and Contrast, and set it to what make it look like a cool light and shadow combination.

Thanks a lot!
You did a great job with your signature! Also, you don't have to do so much work to get the light-shadow feature. There is a special brush that I have and it gives the same appearance. That brush can be found here: http://browse.deviantart.com/resour...rushes/?qh=&section=&q=light+brushes#/d1b8qvd

You did an awesome job!

EDIT:

Also, you can just go to Filters > Blur > Motion Blur, instead of doing what you did for the motion blur.

LozzyKate

Thanks for the help Lozzy. But, you see, now I've got another question. How do I work the colorizer? I've messed around with the bars quite a bit and nothing happens to my picture.

Make sure that when you are colorizing that you are colorizing the the top layer and not something underneath. You won't be able to see the changes if you don't. Also, make sure you have the Preview box checked so you can see what's happening to your document while you change it.

LozzyKate

hey Lozzy is this good for a Sig
2dt61y1.png
and it KINGDOM HEARTS

Good job, Josie! The only thing that needs a little bit of improvement is how you cut your renders out. Overall though, you did a great job! ;)

LozzyKate

Thanks I was kinda of a rush because I had a Request to do

Okay, when you have a request, don't rush it. You want it to look at good as possible so the person you are doing the sig for won't one, ask for changes, or two, have them go to someone else for their sig.

~Mizuki~

ALWAYS LEAVE BOX 5 OPEN
Well I did the sig after I was done then it came out good it was the one I showed you it was a picture of Toon Link wearing a Pink Tunic

LozzyKate

Well I did the sig after I was done then it came out good it was the one I showed you it was a picture of Toon Link wearing a Pink Tunic

I don't recall you showing me that, but alright. Just keep that in mind though next time, to not rush. ;)

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, thanks for the tutorial and the help along the way, Lozzy. I couldn't have done this without you.

gimptutorialsig.png

Somehow I made it glow green (I did it by pressing ctrl f to redo what I did in the filters) and the render's not perfect, but everybody's gotta start somewhere I guess. After all, Beethoven didn't just get in front of a piano and start composing orchestras. ...Okay, bad example, but you know what I mean. A great artist is not made in a day.

LozzyKate

Well, thanks for the tutorial and the help along the way, Lozzy. I couldn't have done this without you.

gimptutorialsig.png

Somehow I made it glow green (I did it by pressing ctrl f to redo what I did in the filters) and the render's not perfect, but everybody's gotta start somewhere I guess. After all, Beethoven didn't just get in front of a piano and start composing orchestras. ...Okay, bad example, but you know what I mean. A great artist is not made in a day.

Awesome job, MK9!!!!!! It looks awesome. If you keep practicing at it, you'll become a pro at making sigs! Thanks for reading the tutorial. Again, awesome job!

LozzyKate

I do have GIMP, but I like Photoshop better. Do you know any good tutorial sites, Kate?

I really just google a tutorial. Usually I say advanced sig tutorial for...and then the program. Then I just go to the various sites and see what I find to be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom