• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Top three games that had an impact on you(of the current and previous gen)

D

Deleted member 96199

=====================================

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I really wanted some explanation first but man! Just of the current or the previous gen. Not the previous gens :P
Oh, well, really, the only modern games that had an impact on me were BotW, the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and Elden Ring.

Mostly because the time and fun I've had with them, and that tends to be what I judge a game on, how much fun it is to play.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Catherine Full Body
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Catherine: I was in a very peculiar moment in my life when I happened to play this game, which in a roundabout way made it pretty relatable. The grounded aspects, not the having to climb blocks in my dreams w/ sheep men. It certainly hit in a way that it probably wouldn't have had I played it any other time.

Smash Ultimate: Simply put I just played this the most, and there's a friend I have where this basically all we do when we're hanging out, us and his other friend.

Ys VIII: The game is just so good. I haven't gone back to it nearly as much as I want to, but it really sticks out to me as one of the best I played of last gen. What also helps is I played it the summer it came out on Switch, and the whole theme of this game is being stuck on a tropical island, which was really good timing.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I've played these games too and have finished them except Witcher 3. I just bought it for like 9 bucks in the sales and I dont want to continue an open world rpg close to TotK release date. Seems like you have a "concept" and you don't spread thin in different genres.
It's just I'll spend more time with a game if it's fun to play, no matter what it is. The concept between the three games was unintentional though, lol.

Grogson

Treasure...dog!
A Link Between Worlds - The first Zelda game I played from beginning to end (I had tried out the first one and BOTW a little bit, but nothing more) and a superb game in general. Also, now that I think about it, the last game I've bought in a physical game store.

Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice - One of few games in recent(-ish) years I've bought close to release date. Great game. I was in university at the time and had a group activity thing same evening I got it, so I left it at home to download from the e-shop, went out, came home at night and started playing in bed. Spent some days completely immersed in it, and once I finished it the story and the whole atmosphere stuck with me for several more days. (Days where I really should have been studying, but I eventually dropped that course and school altogether and I still like Ace Attorney, so in hindsight I think I had my priorities straight.)

Kid Icarus Uprising - I got the version in a big box with extra stuff in it some Christmas. I've no idea why I wished for it specifically since I had no relation to the franchise prior, but I'm glad I did. I love the art, the music, the gameplay (despite some annoying controls, especially for left-handed people like myself), the story, the characters, the humour. This is definitely one of the videogames that has made me laugh the most, and me and one of my siblings who also love the game still quote it every now and then.

Hmmmmm, gonna be an awkward list to make as a lot of games affect me for different reasons but if I were to say the biggest impact...

1) Phantom Hourglass; if it weren't for this game, I would have never ended up on Zelda Dungeon, where I met a lot of wonderful people as well as my best friend who I talk to daily. First modern Zelda title I played, too; beginning of an era perhaps.

2) Bug Fables; game literally changed my ****ing life. It's like a culmination of everything I love about philosophy and nature rolled up into a really meaningful work of fiction that has caused my worldview to blossom into something really profound the more I unravel it. It's been almost three years; I'm still going. Almost 600 pages of crises. Means so much to me that I've been able to share this with my best friend, we propel ourselves on these flights of symbolism.

3) Breath of the Wild; I made a lot of friends through this game. I had a brief bout of 'internet fame' for my escapades of taking lynels to ridiculous places and it allowed me to meet some really cool people. Chain events led me to find a handful of very wonderful communities of content creators and streamers.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
In no particular order:

Twilight Princess. Came at exactly the right time for me, mid-late 2020 when some light at the end of the covid tunnel began to be apparent, and I didn't really realize it at the time, but the major theme in that game of restoring normalcy really spoke to me. Not to mention the fact that the protagonist starts on a ranch town in the south, is looked up to by a lot of little kids, gets turned into a wolf, goes on an epic adventure. Super super special game to me.

NASCAR Heat Ultimate Edition: The first NASCAR game to come to a Nintendo console, the only brand I'm all that interested in buying, since 2012. Not to mention that it also came at a time in my life when I needed a major pick me up, it's #3 on playtime on my Switch, but it's the game I've probably put the single most time into on there, BotW is higher because my brother's played it on his own profile and Smash Ultimate is my most played, but I digress. NHUE super special.

And finally, can I say Minecraft? I haven't invested into it as much as some people, but I've played it on and off for borderline a decade at this point. Probably the game I've put the single most time into, and if I could only ever play 1 game, it would be Minecraft.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
As the title suggests, what are your top three games of the current and previous gen?
Games that mesmerized you the most.
I make my list thinking that these games had an impact on me.
If I was able to play only three games the list might be different.

My list is:
Breath of the Wild
Death Stranding
Returnal

and I will mention Bloodborne because it was in the list before Returnal came out.

Breath of the Wild because it put Nintendo back to the game in home video game consoles. It's amazing what the Tegra chip can do and I think BotW showed the full power of what the console is capable of. I was stunned with the whole presentation and the scenery of the game and I went no-internet for many months to keep playing without distractions.

Death Stranding because I am a sci-fi fan but the game is top. I think it challenges of what video games can be in the future and I am somewhat biased for mentioning BotW in the first place. Nintendo has the power to create a console and a video game at the same time so the hardware can match the gameplay. (so BotW is my no 1)

Returnal because of the same reason I am into sci-fi. So many bugs. They got fixed later..So much bitterness for all of us chasing the platinum trophy since day 1. Kind of unfair that it wasn't in the list for GOTY awards but it shined at the BAFTA. The SFX are simply excellent. I like how it utilizes the features of dualsense although I didn't like the quality of this controller. I think that both DS and Returnal are proof that video games can show truly something in 4K like photogrammetry and photorealistic rendering.

I left TLU and TLU2 out although I love both games maybe I'll make another thread about The Last of Us...

Bloodborne is amazing and was one of my first two video games I played on PS4, the first being Detroit: Become Human
wait, you’re only asking about recent games right?

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
1. Breath of the Wild was so bad it made me realize exactly why I love classic Zelda so much. I guess in a way I have it to thank for my love for game design as without it I wouldn't have wanted to go out of my way to delve into the intricacies of the medium just to spite it.

2. Smash Ultimate is what really got me into online discussion of Nintendo news, for better or for worse. If I had known about how awful the DLC was I probably would've just stayed out of it.

3. uhhh.... do ROM hacks count? If so than pretty much all of the Zelda and Metroid Randomizers have shown me exactly what I love about video games.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Breath of the Wild more or less got me back into gaming, and I still hold it as one of the most enjoyable and rewarding experiences I've had in the medium. It also made me a Zelda fan again, since I had dropped off from most of my interest I had in the series until I played it. Thinking back on the thrill of exploring Hyrule for the first time brings all the good feelings rushing in.

Fire Emblem: Awakening was the game that, after BotW got me back into gaming, directly and indirectly caused me to broaden my gaming horizons, so to speak. Ended up finding new communities (ZD being one of them), trying new genres and other games and whatnot. FE is still my favorite series and Awakening one of my favorites in the series. I owe a lot to it.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was an emotional ride from beginning to end. Raised the quality bar for JRPGs for me and stands in my top 5 games of all time for everything it offered. The world to exist in, the characters to connect with, the story to follow, etc., everything appealed in the best way to what I like most in gaming. Similar to how thinking about BotW is associated with fond memories, the same is true for XC3.

BotW- The first game I played after I moved out of the house I'd lived in for almost all of my life, it helped the new house feel a little less intimidating. It also got me to dip my toes into the open-world game pool, and since then, I've really branched out in the genres of games that I play.

Among Us- For better or for worse, this game has had a lasting impact on me. I laugh whenever someone says "among". I keep seeing crewmates everywhere. "Sus" has worked its way into my vocabulary. This game has wormed its way into my brain, like an alien parasite, and it won't leave. (I don't even play it that much!)

Pokemon Legends: Arceus- This game. Hoo-boy, this game. This is THE Pokemon game of all time. It shook up the tried-and-tested formula of the mainline Pokemon games the most out of any of the other games, while still remaining true to the series' core. I think it has the best story out of any Pokemon game, period (this is just my opinion tho). Never before have I been so engrossed in a Pokemon game's story and characters. Especially with that twist at the end! And the music. Oh, the music. It's simply phenomenal-- especially the battle against Volo. That brought back traumatic memories of my battle against Cynthia.
Legends: Arceus made the Pokemon world feel alive again for me, after the utter disappointment that was Sword and Shield. It reinvigorated my love for Pokemon, and for that, it will always have a place in my heart.

Hmm I'm more of a casual gamer now than when I was a kid so the most impactful games were all when I was younger.

1. Pokemon Blue - This one is pretty obvious because of the cultural impact of Pokemon. Being someone into the games, cards, shows, etc. made it easy to interact with people at school and was very easy to find someone with common interests. Also I blame Pokemon for my obsession with anything I collect. Anything I get into I go real extra on, and I think it was because of the "Gotta Catch Em All" slogan. Like, I'm a guitar player and I'm at 30 something guitars and going because of my need to continuously build a collection of whatever I'm into.

2. Ocarina Of Time - This one started my love for the Zelda series, which is still my favorite series to this day. I feel like there's not much to say about this one because if you're on this forum and you're a millennial, you just know.

3. SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs - The first game I played online like crazy. Man the thrill of getting the Playstation network adaptor and being able to play online games with people across the world was insane. To experience something like that where gameplay wasn't just determined by a programmed difficulty setting and story dictating what you do was freeing. This was pre-DNAS though, so Gameshark users eventually ruined the experience until SOCOM II came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom