• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Top 5 Favorite Movies of All Time

Shawshank Redemption is fantastic.
Also a fan of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Citizen Kane
Rear Window
Back to the Future and the original Star Wars films are all great as well.
Apollo 13
Shutter Island

But my all time favorite is probably The Butterfly Effect
Just an amazing movie

I know its more then 5 but its hard to choose, so many other greats asw ell but these are what I could think of off the top of my head.

EDIT:

And a shout out to Lion King, my favorite animated film by far.

Last edited:

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
1. Bram Stoker's Dracula
2. The Sound of Music
3. Fade to Black: Call My Name (Bleach Movie)
4. Diamond Dust Rebellion (Bleach Movie)
5. The Lion King 2 (Nope, that is not a typo. I have a soft spot for kids movies.)
6. Back to The Future Series (Sorry, I had to add this one.)

Last edited:

Garo

Boy Wonder
1. The Prestige (Christopher Nolan's crowning achievement)
2. Wall-E (Stanton)
3. Ocean's Eleven (Soderbergh)
4. Casablanca (Curtiz)
5. Rear Window (Hitchcock)

Yes, I'm a film snob. Yes, I've written detailed analyses defending these positions. Yes, I take my cinema seriously. :)

Maikeru

Piper of Time
1. The Butterfly Effect
2. Sweeney Todd: Demon Barber on Fleet Street
3. Back to the Future
4. Lord of the Rings
5. The Shawshank Redemption

Honorable Mentions: Bridge to Terabithia, Aladdin, Harry Potter series, Saw 1-4, How To Train Your Dragon, Lion King

Last edited:

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
Hmm.

Moon.
My Name is Khan.
The movie from Conor's avatar. Probably not appropriate for most of our members, but....
Dawn of the Dead. (1978, not the horrible 2004 remake. (NOTE: I liked the remake, but comparing it to the original masterpiece is absurd.))
Eight Crazy Nights

Not in any particular order.

Last edited:

bubblecrash

Oh no its back
im not sure what i'd order them but here they are:

Juno
The Crow
Romeo and Juliet (60s version)
Dragonheart
Mulan

i like sad movies

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Top 5? Well, I don't watch movies often, but my top 5 are:
  1. Lion King (Best animated film by far)
  2. Knight and Day (Mine and my girlfriend's favorite)
  3. The Proposal (Funniest movie EVAR!)
  4. Toy Story (Epic. 'Nuff said.)
  5. Rio (A great movie that I was forced to watch at first, but I grew to like it after having my nephew watch it millions of times with me)

So...yeah. That's what i got. :yes:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows Part 2
Transformers 3: Dark Side of the Moon

A lot of great movies came out this year, but I had to pick the two best and then merge them with my all-time favs. Here's to hoping The Hobbit comes out quickly!

Actually, now that I think about it, this one deserves an honorable mention: The Dark Knight.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
5.:
s_133904_0851578_12936b32.jpg

Paprika.
Possibly the greatest movie by the late, great visionary director Satoshi Kon (Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers). This adaptation of the novel by Yasutaka Tsutsui is an anime and uses all of the strengths of that medium. This couldn't have worked as a live-action movie, or CGI, or as a comic book or video game. It explored the concept of shared dreams years before Inception was ever filmed. And while Inception works on more levels than Paprika (Heist movie, exploration of guilt, philosophical essay about dreams and reality, action movie, etc), Paprika pulls off the dream world so much better. Applied dream logic, recurring motifs and sudden transformations that are so common in our dreams...
Add to all of that a suspenseful plot about an unknown individual that wants to merge the dream world with reality, and the police officer and the psychologist that want to stop him, and you've got a true masterpiece.

4.:
1456_large.jpg

In Bruges.
This is an emotional rollercoaster ride. When it's funny, it's sidesplittingly hilarious. When it's tragic, you're almost in tears. And the film switches easily between both extremes almost at random. It all starts when a hitman (Colin Farrell in what is easily the best role in his career) botches a job and has to hide in a small city in Belgium. What he doesn't know: His best friend and mentor has orders to kill him. This film is littered with actors from the Harry Potter films, by the way.

3.:
inception.jpg

Inception.
If this film didn't exist already, I would have to write and direct it myself. Brilliant actors, brilliant visuals, a brilliant score, and best of all, a brilliant story dealing with lots of stuff that interest me (see Paprika). If it wasn't that recent, it might even rank higher.

2.:
the-usual-suspects-1995.jpg

The Usual Suspects.
You know the classic lineup scenes? Police has a suspect and a witness, then they place the suspect along with a bunch of paid extras in one room and let the witness identify him? Well, in this case, they don't have one suspect and four random guys off the street. In this case, you have a dirty ex-cop, two masterthieves, a truck hijacker and a con artist. And they use the opportunity to form a supergroup of criminals, pulling the perfect crime. The problem is, they unknowingly mess with the wrong man: The urban legend known as Keyser Söze. And Keyser Söze always gets what he wants. Narrated almost entirely in flashbacks told by what seems to be the only survivor of the group (or is he?), this movie turned director Bryan Singer (X-Men, House, Valkyrie) and actor Kevin Spacey (LA Confidential, American Beauty, Moon) into superstars.
And it was all done with a budget of just $6 million.

1.:
25th-hour-poster-0vdq.jpg

25th Hour.
Again, it's the emotions that this film creates in the audience. In this case, it's the overwhelming post-9/11 melancholy, paired with the emotional gamut that the protagonist (played by the always brilliant Edward Norton) has to run. Anger, frustration, sadness, hope, love, hate... It's all there, and it's infectuous. Add to all of that the brilliant score by Terence Blanchard that goes from smooth jazz to honestly moving pathos without missing a single beat. Wonderful, wonderful movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom