• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Top 10 Games of the 7th Generation

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I'm aware that the PS4 and "XBOX Durango" haven't made it onto the scene yet, so there are games that are still on their way for the PS3 and 360, but we might as well be in the 8th generation by now. As such, I felt obligated to make a list of what I believe to be the 10 best games to grace our consoles from 2006 to 2012. Feel free to post your own lists!

Before I start, I'd like to make the disclaimer that I've only recently gotten into PC gaming, so I can't really add any MMO's or other PC exclusives onto this list. There will also be no ports from the 6th generation on this list, meaning no games like Okami. Sorry if that upsets you, but I'm only going to count games that were native to the 7th generation.

REDUX: Since I'm considering the year 2013 as part of the 8th generation, I'm being a hypocrite by not considering 2006 part of the 7th generation, since the XBOX 360 came out late 2005. This means I shouldn't be excluding games from 2006. I can now include Okami on this list as a result, since it was released in 2006 on the PS2.

10) Fallout 3
9) The Walking Dead
8) Okami
7) Super Mario Galaxy
6) Super Smash Bros. Brawl
5) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
4) Super Mario Galaxy 2
3) The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
1) Portal

Honorable Mentions: Portal 2 and BioShock

Last edited:

Dan

I'm not going to number them, that's too hard.

• Super mario Galaxy, Solid platformer for a dying genre, fresh new and superb.
  • Rayman origins, I'm a sucker for platformers, and an even bigger sucker for rayman, glad to see him back to his roots. looking forward to legends
  • Team fortress 2, An excellent fps that encourages teamwork. Includes nine different classes with there own unique play-style, this is no way your slandered FPS affair.
  • Skyrim, need i say no more, it's just the most compelling additive and fun time-sink any game delivers.
  • Starcraft II, I wish I could really get better at this game, but it takes time to learn, still it's an excellent multiplayer, and I enjoyed the single player as well
  • Saints row the third, I love this open world game, wacky and over the top and doesn't take itself seriously at all. It has a number of flaws duel to the early release date, but it's given me plenty of fun.
  • Portal 2, An excellent puzzle game with charming characters, the second game I found more compelling duel to the multiplayer and multiply characters and deeper storyline.
  • Call of duty 4, I know it's cool to hate on call of duty, but regardless It's still a great online multiplayer to me, never cared much for the single player(haven't even played it in fact) I just love it's multiplayer.
  • Sonic and all stars racing transformed, At of all the racing games out this generation the sonic and all stars games have really been a blast, never have I seen such grand racetracks before, on such an epic scale before.
  • Super meat boy I love this indie platformer, still can't beat the guys stage(forgot his name, that stage with all the spikes) Great artwork and soundtrack, plus some levels do require you to really think. :D

Was a hard list to make, and I'm not really content with it, Sooo many games sooo little time.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
10. Alan Wake
9. Bayonetta
8. Assassin's Creed II
7. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Borderlands 2
5. Gears of War
4. Red Dead Redemption
3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2. Batman Arkham City
1. Halo 4

I don't feel like making a list, but New Vegas would definitely be on it.

This one's for you, Austin.

10.) Super Mario Galaxy 2
9.) Bioshock
8.) Portal
7.) Okami (should count because it's on the Wii)
6.) Left 4 Dead
5.) Red Dead Redemption
4.) Batman: Arkham City
3.) Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
2.) Fallout: New Vegas
1.) Portal 2

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
1. Twilight Princess (Wii)

2. Fallout New Vegas

3. Super Mario Galaxy

4. Heavy Rain

5. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves

6. GTA IV

7. Bioshock

8. Fallout 3

9. Red Dead Redemption

10. Resistance Fall of Man

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Only 5 worth naming.

1-2) Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword
3) Okami
4) SSBB
5) NSMBW

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
In no particular order:

Mass Effect 2
Dead Space 2
Red Dead Redemption
Halo 3
Dragon Age: Origins
Bioshock
Witcher 2

I can't think of anymore but obviously this list is very biased - every game on here is available for the Xbox or PC...

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
7.) Okami (should count because it's on the Wii)

Up to you whether you want to use this rule or not, but like I said in the OP, I wasn't using any ports from the 6th generation. No Okami, no Twilight Princess -- not that it would even be in the top ten (maybe in an expanded list, but not the top ten) -- not even Metroid Prime Trilogy. Only original 7th gen games.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
#10 - Bioshock
I'm pretty cynical when it comes to Bioshock because I don't think it should have ever become a franchise (I'm probably gonna be moody for the next few days while every screams themselves into a coma over Infinite) but I did love the first one. It had plenty of things wrong with it: the graphics were awful (every game in the Unreal Engine 3 is hideous); the level design left a lot to be desired (backtracking thorugh narrow corridors, yay); the gameplay was pretty basic and didn't really do anything really exciting. What it did have going for it though was its setting. While an underwater city is nothing new, Rapture felt incredible. It captured the imagination in a way few other games ever manage and it absorbed you into the dystopia so well. It also presents a philisophical question about human nature and, more importantly, does so in a way that is seamlessly weaved into the gameplay.
Bioshock 2 pretty much did away with the only two things that made Bioshock great for me, and Infinite just looks like an attempt to try and make lightning strike twice. Bioshock shouldn't have become a franchise in my opinion but I can see why it did after how good the original was.

#9 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
I'm not going to ignore the DS as a 7th Gen platform because it had some incredible games and even though this was a GBA game in Japan it wasn't released in the west until 2004. Simply put it's the best of the Ace Attorney games. All of the characters are at their peak and perfectly written, the story is just the right balance of soap-opera absurdity and plausability and it's so funny. Like, so, so funny. It also corrected the main issue with the previous game; everything in the game followed a real logic so that it was possible to know your next move ahead of time, as opposed to the nonsense in Justice For Allthat forced you to basically guess your way through half the game. Trials and Tribulations is one of the best games on the DS and is a brilliant example of how far good writing and localisation can carry a game.

#8 - Braid
Braid has some of the best designed puzzles I've seen in years. It genuinely makes you stop and consider all of your actions in advance and requires an understanding of the game's mechanics. It also has excellent art and great ambient music as well. The thing which attracts me so much to Braid though is the emotional connection I had with it, since the story is all about regrets and changing your past and all of that noise. I engaged with the game on an emotional level and ended up with a deeply satisfying and rewarding experience. Even if people don't connect with the game as I did its strength as a puzzle game is robust enough to still keep it on this list.

#7 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Playing with friends is always fun and Brawl is just all about doing that. There isn't really much to say beyond Brawl is just designed to just have a ridiculous amount of fun with good friends and it succeeds completely.

#6 - Resident Evil 6
I love this franchise. it stopped being Survival Horror with Resident Evil 4 but it reinvented itself into one of the best action series available. Resident Evil 6 is a breathtaking adrenaline ride with some of the series best characters, great new ones and sports a fantatstic story element. Gameplay has been tweaked and changed enough to make it familiar but also more streamlined and servicable and the game attempted something risky with how its campaign was structured. It's multiplayer modes are also brilliant and the game is one of few this gneration that really is wroth every penny. There's so much quality content that Resident Evil 6 is easily one of the best.

#5 - Mario Kart DS
At the time of its release I think Mario Kart DS was easily the best in the series, with great tracks, a wealth of different karts, good balance and an excellent online system. The main reason why I love this one is because my friends and I played it religiously and it became a big part of school life for me in 2006. We as a group spent so long playing this game that my DS was higher on my list of priorities when I left the house than my phone or keys.

#4 - Hitman: Blood Money
Blood Money is the pinnacle of the series and this one opens up the game world so much more than the ones that came before. It lets you be creative and requires you to play around with each level more. You get so much out of this one and the game's AI isn't as fickle as it was in previous games. It just improved on the design of the second and third games in pretty much every way and highlights why Hitman is a brilliant series.

#3 - Pokémon SoulSilver
As a remake of my favourite Pokémon game this is easily one of the best game's I've played in years. It was basically everything Pokémon had done right up to that point but better. I sank about 300+ hours into this one and every second of it was worth it. If X and Y are half as good as this one then they will be excellent games worth every penny.

#2 - The Elder Scrolls IV & V: Oblivion & Skyrim
Putting two games here might be cheating but I like both of these games equally and for the exact same reasons so it wasn't really possible to choose a preference. Both give huge open worlds, both give deep and detailed histories of a world dripping with character, both are filled with stories that excite and intrigue, both are easy to get into but deep enough to provide a rewarding experince for committed players. The Elder Scrolls is simply a fantastic franchise and I'm sure future installments will get onto my list of best games in future.

#1 - Halo 3/Halo: Reach
More cheating but I had to put them both in: Halo 3 because of the multiplayer experience; Halo: Reach because it has the best campaign in the entire franchise. Reach has the best single player campaign because it's paced perfectly and never bothers with annoying enemies like The Flood or the Prometheans. It keeps you fighting the Covenant and nothing more, one of the best and most engaging enemy forces in any game, and then concludes with the best ending in any video game. Having been a dedicated Halo fan for a decade meant that the ending to Reach was very emotional and was one of my favourite moments in gaming ever.
As for Halo 3, I've never had a better multiplayer experience with any game. My friends and I spent almost every night on this game for hours on end and we have so many memories of the time we spent online. When I think of the Xbox 360 I think of playing Halo 3 with my friends and just completely enjoying a game without having any thoughts of what could be better.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Wow, this is hard given my love/hate relationship with a lot of 7th Gen games, but Ima try to be objective about this.

10.) Fallout 3
9.) Fallout New Vegas
8.) The Witcher 2
7.) Mass Effect
6.) Twilight Princess
5.) Borderlands
4.) Mass Effect 2
3.) Batman Arkham Asylum
2.) Xenoblade
1.) Batman Arkham City

Mass Effect would have rated a lot higher had they not ... you know, and Final Fantasy XIII would have made the list had it not failed to live up to its expectations.

Over all 7th Gen will go down as one of video game's worst, if not the worst.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Guild Wars 2
I'll be frank, GW2 is simply an amazing game. I'm trying to keep wild claims of prestige and valor to a minimum, but I can afford to do so in little amounts. Customizing a character and collecting various skins has never been so fun. The gameplay is terribly streamlined, sure, but to get the beef of the game requires more players than just one (the main story is soloable, mind you), and a LOT of teamwork. Music is stellar and I very appreciate Jeremy Soule taking another round with ANET. PVP could use some major balancing, but a good look at GW2 Wiki will solve you many problems in that department. Easy 10/10 but I'm not ranking it. I've had the game for QUITE a while and I still haven't beaten it on even one character because I have multiple characters just trying to progress. It's way too much fun.

Call of Duty: Black Ops
Say what you will about the CoD series, but I feel the number one game in the series is Black Ops. The story isn't the best piece in literature, and as expected the sound/music department leaves a LOT to be desired. It makes up for having likable characters and an amazing Multiplayer component. Call it a rehash, I say it has the best maps in any single vanilla CoD ever released, and the DLC maps do absolutely nothing but give us more brilliance. The handling on every gun is fantastic and although overpowered guns exist (cough FAMAS AK74u cough), there is still the ability to BEAT those guns provided that Greedo shoots first. ;)

Borderlands

Resident Evil 5

Red Dead Redemption
All I have to say is I cried close to the game's ending. Rockstar'll do that to a guy. Definite 10/10

The Witcher 2

Assassin's Creed II

Batman Arkham Asylum

Hmm... well since i don't have a ps3...

10. Bioshock
9. Left4Dead
8. Rayman Origins
7. Kirby's Adventure Wii
6. No More Heroes
5. Mario Galaxy 2
4. Super Smash Bros Brawl
3. Batman: Arkham Asylum
2. Dead or Alive 5
1. Bayonetta

What a crap generation :-/

MW7

My favorite 10 games across the 3 seventh generation systems I had (Xbox 360, Wii, and DS)

10. Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
9. Super Paper Mario
8. Super Mario Galaxy
7. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
6. Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
5. Hitman: Blood Money
4. Professor Layton and the Curious Village
3. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
2. Donkey Kong Country Returns
1. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Looking over this list in comparison to other people's lists I suddenly realize that I'm not much of a gamer anymore, but I am still quite the Nintendo fanboy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom