• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Timeline Impossibilities

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
i have just thought of this in mc they say that the hold festivels ever 100 and there are kingstine pieces but none occur in oot plus in the begining there are monsters in the field and places even before ganon now in mc it says at some point the piccro make a four sword and the hero seals away all the montsers in this land which means there are no more monsters also i think mc takes place after WW because look at the land of hyrule in mc there are places not located in the oringinal hyrule like veil falls a swamp no zoros domain this is becuses this land is the place that toon link and tetra(zelda) found to be the new hyrule and if its after ww there would not be anymore zoras and few gorons like in mc and this land has the piccro plus the lands sacred sword is the four sword as the master sword was left back in hylrule

nice try but your problem with that is Vaati releases the monsters from the chest that the four sword was protecting and Vaati is the one sealed in it at the end, not the monsters, so there could very well have been monsters still roaming the world. and you said that it has land that is not in OoT, but if you pay attention to the actualy way the geography is set, it is quite similar to OoT with one difference. there is a volcanic mountain in MC (just like death mountain in OoT), there is a river/lake in MC (just like lake hylia in OoT), and there are woods in MC (just like the kokiri forest in OoT). the only difference is a swamp, and for all we know, the swamp could have dried out and turned into a desert that becomes the desert in OoT. the river and woods are in just about the same locations relative to the castle as they are in OoT, and the mountain is behind right next to the castle just like in OoT.

another reason i would not put this game after WW is because there is no ocean coast to the map. if this is the new land that link and tetra find, then there must be an ocean coast somewhere. and yes, there are few gorons and no zora in the game, maybe this game takes place before those races really flourished. also in the game, there are still river zora which are the evil zora that shoot things at you from the water. if there are river zora, then there are regular zora too, just not in the game.

A lot of things could have happend to Hyrule's geography. The fact is it takes a lot longer for mountains to move around and lakes to dry up and forests to completely grow than the time periods we have between these Zelda games. Geography means little when it comes to a timeline. In fact, if you look at every Zelda title, there is some sort of mountains, some sort of forest, and some sort of lake. That dosen't mean they all take place within the same Hyrule.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
true, and you saying that also means that it is not evidence towards the game going after WW as well. also, just because there are certain races that exist and dont exist in a certain game does not help when placing in it in a timeline, because, like darklink said, there could be a LOT of time inbetween the games that would have explanations for why a race is or isnt there.

take WW for example, the only gorons in the game are the merchants, but them being there means that somewhere in the world there are more gorons, same thing with the Zora. waldo said that they are not in MC, which isnt true. there are river zora in MC which means that regular zora have to be somewhere in the world.

G

gerudo goyo

Twinrova are alive and well during the events of Oracle of Ages/Seasons. In Ocarina, they were killed off by Link.

Twinrova was NOT killed by Link in Ocarina of Time. I just played it like last week. At the end of the battle they fly off alive and well. I'm sure of it.

Them fighting about doesn't have to mean that they're alive, they could have simply been there for about a minute before they went to some place like heaven or hell. They simply stayed there for a while, complained, and then went to some afterlife.

Here are some things that we do know about the timeline.
Zelda 1&2 both have the same Link.
OOT and MM have the same Link.
WW and PH have the same Link.
MM and TP both take place in the child timeline.
And WW and PH take place in the adult timeline.

K

Karashimu

For every Zelda game we tell a new story, but we actually have an enormous document that explains how the game relates to the others, and bind them together. But to be honest, they are not that important to us. We care more about developing the game system... give the player new challenges for every chapter that is born.

—Shigeru Miyamoto, 2003

Here are some things that we do know about the timeline.
Zelda 1&2 both have the same Link.
OOT and MM have the same Link.
WW and PH have the same Link.
MM and TP both take place in the child timeline.
And WW and PH take place in the adult timeline.

We also know that the Oracle games would have taken place during the Chlid Timeline as well, seeing as how Twinrova are killed in the Adult Timeline in OoT.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
A lot of things could have happend to Hyrule's geography. The fact is it takes a lot longer for mountains to move around and lakes to dry up and forests to completely grow than the time periods we have between these Zelda games. Geography means little when it comes to a timeline. In fact, if you look at every Zelda title, there is some sort of mountains, some sort of forest, and some sort of lake. That dosen't mean they all take place within the same Hyrule.

i just noticed you said it would take a supreme amount of time for mountains to move, but have you taken into account that maybe the castle moved? maybe natural disaster occured and the place was destroyed or they thought it was a safer location by demolishing and rebuilding over the years. in every zelda game, the castle is never in a same spot as it was in a previous game, obviously the castle positions have moved over the years and that would make more sense than the earth moving around it.

i just noticed you said it would take a supreme amount of time for mountains to move, but have you taken into account that maybe the castle moved? maybe natural disaster occured and the place was destroyed or they thought it was a safer location by demolishing and rebuilding over the years. in every zelda game, the castle is never in a same spot as it was in a previous game, obviously the castle positions have moved over the years and that would make more sense than the earth moving around it.

This is true. I did take a look at the ALttP map once and tried to position the castle in different ways to see if that was the case. Here are my conclusions in comparison to turning the castle in all directions:

Because of image restraints, I will only explain some of the maps below rather than offering an image of them.

Original ALttP Map

Mountains to the North/Northeast
Lake to the Southeast
Desert to the Southwest
Forest to the Northwest

Flipped Version 1
hstiqo.png

Mountains to the East/Southeast
Lake to the Southwest
Desert to the Northwest
Forest to the Northeast

Flipped Version 2
25k75o2.png

Mountains to the South
Lake to the Northwest
Desert to the Notheast
Forest to the Southeast

Flipped Version 3
wiamg2.png

Mountains to the West/Northwest
Lake to the Northeast
Desert to the Southeast
Forest to the Southwest

Now lets take a look at some of the other Hyrule world maps:

Ocarina of Time

Mountains to the East
Lake to the South/Southwest
Desert to the West
Forest to the Southeast

The closest you can come to any of the ALttP maps compared with the OoT map would be the Flipped Version 1. In that instance, mountains, lake, and even desert would match up, but not the forest. So that one is questionable. We also know that Twilight Princess has pretty much everything in coordination with this map, so we will consider both here.

Legend of Zelda/Adventure of Link
map_h2.jpg

This is a pretty large map, as the Legend of Zelda played on the southern Hyrule portion, while Adventure of Link played in the North. It also does not have an official Hyrule Castle. Therefore, we will say that the map is in relation to the North Palace and/or the Great Palace, as the layout is the same no matter which is used.

Mountains in the South
Lake (could be anywhere almost)
Desert in the North/Northeast
Forest in the South

This map is similar to the setup of Flipped Version 2. However, in the map, Death Mountain is the point which the mountains are considered, and the forest can be left to the Lost Woods all the way to almost the other side of South Hyrule. The one problem with this is that the lake location is not really specified. In the FV2 map, the lake is in the Northwest section of Hyrule. But seeing as how it is questionable, the lake could be somewhere off the map.

Finall, lets take a look at the map for Minish Cap

Mountains in the West/Southwest
Lake in the Southeast
Desert is not specified, could be the Swamp (southwest)
Forest in the Southeast, south of Lake

This Map has similarities with the original and flipped version of the ALttP map, but so does all the rest of them. The fact is, this map has no more than one thing in the same location as the ALttP maps, so it basically is ruled out.

Because of all this, we can conclude that some of the maps have similarities, but mountains moving locations takes thousands, if not millions of years. It also would take a long time for a desert to flood or a lake to dry out, or a forest to grow. Therefore, my theory is that geography does not play a very promising role in justifying an accurate timeline yet.

Moosh_is_cool

Still a Moosh fan!
I see the point you and zemen have made, dark link, but something niether of you took into account is, this is a video game, and magic exists within the game. So wouldn't it be possible for dieties such as Din to make some of these geographic changes faster than nature could by itself? For example, the 3 godesses floded the world to stop Ganon (in the backstory of WW). Do you expect them to have done this quickly, or slowly? I would think they completed this task quickly, to stop ganon. I doubt 3 inches of water a minute would keep Ganon away :).

I see the point you and zemen have made, dark link, but something niether of you took into account is, this is a video game, and magic exists within the game. So wouldn't it be possible for dieties such as Din to make some of these geographic changes faster than nature could by itself?

That 'could' happen Moosh, but that again is something that is an unproven event. It also raises questions like, "Why would they do that?" And why would they? What would possess the goddesses to switch around the lakes, mountains, and forests of Hyrule for no reason? There certainly isn't any significance for it judging by the events within the games. Plus, the goddesses created Hyrule and left. They wouldn't return just to switch around the scenery. The only proven time that the goddesses interfeared with the events taking place in Hyrule was when they had to flood it because the Hero of Time was not around whenever Ganon escaped the Sacred Realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom