• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Somebody in the guitar player's advice exchange group I'm in was questioning how to play the sextuplet riff in Metallica's song "One."

I offered advice to look at how Hetfield plays the riff live, and to actually feel the sextuplets, because if done right, your picking hand gets in a natural down-up motion that keeps you locked in the groove.

Now, there's a pervasive myth about Hetfield's rhythm guitar playing. Everyone seems to think he plays everything with a downstroke.

Mind you, this is a section that has sextuplets, that is 6 notes per beat, at a tempo of 220 bpm.

Someone literally said that Hetfield downpicks the riff.

That is literally physically impossible, not very economical, and downpicking everything isn't very wise as a rhythm player, because you can easily loose the feeling and the groove of the track if you downpick everything, assuming you could.

So what does Hetfield do?

Like a sensible rhythm guitarist, he alternate picks the riff. Granted, this doesn't make getting the rhythm as tight as him any easier, but it's way easier to do sextuplets at break-neck tempos if you can remember that you can do downstrokes and upstrokes.

I hate bad advice that makes physically playing the music much more difficult than it really is. It's a pervasive myth that Hetfield downpicks everything, speaking as a metal player, that I just wish I could stamp out.

Once you realize that Hetfield's main influence is the Misfits, a punk band, then his rhythm playing makes way more sense.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Student I've had for two years now has exited summer school early due to a planned operation, and she'll be going to middle school next so I won't see her again. Hoping she does well. I'll still have her brother who is gonna be a 2nd grader so maybe I'll be able to hear how her operation turns out since he might be the next one to get it if she does well.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Idk why but for the past few weeks I've had the worst eating schedule. Most days now I have a bite sized muffin for breakfast, a bag of chips for lunch, and then dinner. Forgetting meals almost every day cannot possibly be good for me but I can't seem to stop doing it. Most mornings just the thought of having breakfast gives me a stomachache, and by lunch I have no energy or motivation to get up and make something. It's so weird.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Idk why but for the past few weeks I've had the worst eating schedule. Most days now I have a bite sized muffin for breakfast, a bag of chips for lunch, and then dinner. Forgetting meals almost every day cannot possibly be good for me but I can't seem to stop doing it. Most mornings just the thought of having breakfast gives me a stomachache, and by lunch I have no energy or motivation to get up and make something. It's so weird.

You should get some Huel. It's better to eat proper meals but if you are struggling to eat or make the effort then that stuff will at least get you some nutrition in.

I can't always find the motivation to eat so I have liquid meals and it is very helpful.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Tweeted this earlier but also going to share here.

I just heard that Magnus Carlsen won't be defending his title as the World Chess Champion...

It's extremely disappointing. I understand his reasoning, and I think if it's best for his mental health to not play a match he is clearly not invested in, nobody can blame him. It's just such a strange feeling. He is clearly the best player in the world right now, by a large margin. I don't think it's good for Chess that the best player isn't playing for the pinnacle spot of the game. So yeah, very disappointing news, and such a weird day. That's what's on my mind. Also, I don't think there is anything comparable to this in the history of the game. At least, not with these circumstances, and not while Chess has been popular.

A world champion once died before he could defend his title, that was back when Chess wasn't really a big deal for the general public though.

Bobby Fischer caused a popular spike in Chess in the US back in the 60's and 70's, his reasoning for not defending the title was a bit more outrageous and not relatable to Carlsen's reasoning to pass on playing the match.

Garry Kasparov chose to not defend the title, he was by far the best player of his generation, much like Carlsen is right now. I guess that was kind of similar to what is happening right now, except Chess wasn't as popular as it is currently, so it probably wasn't a huge deal to many people.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
We will have a new prime minister soon, some are celebrating but if you let a bunch of bonobos run your country it doesn't really matter which one is in charge. And in a couple of years there's a choice between them and the baboons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom