• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Theory on the Backstory for Tears of the Kingdom

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Ok, here's my theory on the backstory for Tears of the Kingdom from what I've gathered using the trailers so far. Potential spoilers I guess if I am right?

FtxSdEgXoAEqTee.jpg

Long before the Great Calamity of 10,000 years ago, the Zonai tribe was thrust in war with the Demon King, Ganondorf. Many Zonai fought to their last breath, but Ganondorf and his army could not be bested. Their numbers grew alarmingly low, so they were forced to retreat. Ganondorf, showing no mercy, pushed on to eliminate his opposition. The evil forces sieged the Zonai's stronghold, slaughtering everyone they could. The fight was hopeless, as there was no way to truly kill Ganondorf at the time. The Zonai tribe was on the verge of extinction, and the entirety of Hyrule would soon fall to the unstoppable might of the Demon King. Thus, a valiant Zonai warrior sacrificed themself to seal Ganondorf away. Unfortunately, the seal would not hold forever. I could be wrong about some details here, for example, maybe Ganondorf didn't lay siege on the Zonai, maybe the Zonai infiltrated the desert in one last attack. Either way, Ganondorf is either sealed in a Zonai area, or perhaps this is some area below the desert that was once Ganondorf's base of operations. Anyway, some time after Ganondorf's physical form was sealed, Malice began to seep from his body, forming into Calamity Ganon – a much weaker form that began searching for a new physical body. Calamity Ganon was defeated, but returned many times thereafter.

The Zonai seemingly vanished from Hyrule since then, perhaps to regroup after the massive toll of the ancient war, but also to prepare for the new war that will be fought in Tears of the Kingdom. Unlike before, the war can be won with the aid of Link, Zelda, the new champions, and with all of Hyrule banding together.

I feel like this is the way to interpret the info we have, but until we get the game it remains only a theory. There is also still a lot to question. Why was Zonai history forgotten? Did Ganondorf start the war or did the Zonai instigate it? Afterall, in Creating a Champion they are said to have been a warlike race that was quite savage. What exactly are the Tears, why does Ganondorf have one, and is he trying to collect them? Did Ganondorf maybe start the ancient war to get the Tears?

So much to think about! I am anxiously awaiting May 12th!!!

Sounds good and pretty accurate with what we know so far. What do you make of this:

FckvRB-WIAI4e2m.jpg

I think this might explain how Ganon was revived prior to the war with the Zonai; by absorbing alot of her power/force, since she seems like the basket lady that we've seen, or hell, maybe he straight up sacrififced her life depending on whether she's in the present scenes or just flashbacks/memories. In fact, depending on whether you think he was truly stuck in his pig form in the DT up to that point, it also might explain how Ganon regained his human shape and his sanity, like how Demise did something similar due to absorbing Zelda.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Sounds good and pretty accurate with what we know so far. What do you make of this:

View attachment 70589

I think this might explain how Ganon was revived prior to the war with the Zonai; by absorbing alot of her power/force, since she seems like the basket lady that we've seen, or hell, maybe he straight up sacrififced her life depending on whether she's in the present scenes or just flashbacks/memories. In fact, depending on whether you think he was truly stuck in his pig form in the DT up to that point, it also might explain how Ganon regained his human shape and his sanity, like how Demise did something similar due to absorbing Zelda.
Before the most recent trailer I was unsure who that could be, I thought maybe it was Zelda. Now I am pretty sure it's that Zonai character we see blasting Moldugas in that one scene. I think you're definitely on the right track with Ganondorf having captured her and began siphoning her power, which could explain how he regained his sanity and human form.

I do wonder if she was killed, or if she survived and managed to be the one to seal Ganondorf?

Could be both; perhaps she sacrificed her life but managed to seal Ganon, and will be a part of the plot due via her spirit having stuck around this entire time similar to how Rhoam and the Champions stuck around as spirits in BotW before moving on at the end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom