• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time The Truth Behind Bongo-Bongo

S

Sturgeon

Every wondered how Bongo-Bongo was ever created? Well, here is his story.

Bongo Bongo is the demented spirit of a corrupt person who used to entertain the king with his expertise in playing the bongos. He had to resort to stealing and murdering to earn money, he was then punished by having his hands cut off and being sent to the guillotine. He as the evil spirit that came out of the well and took refuge in the Shadow Temple.

D

derkcloud

What about what the old man says about the house where the well is now and the man with the eye who could see the truth?

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman

Bongo Bongo is the demented spirit of a corrupt person who used to entertain the king with his expertise in playing the bongos. He had to resort to stealing and murdering to earn money, he was then punished by having his hands cut off and being sent to the guillotine. He as the evil spirit that came out of the well and took refuge in the Shadow Temple.

Could you please site a source as to how you know this? Cause if it's just fan-fiction, you should probably say so.

Mr.Verto

爆発物マネージャ
Do you have proof?

Not all Zelda bosses have a story of why...Maybe only Volvagia in the manga...
Can you set a link to where you got this,

Cause if it is fan fic, its on the wrong spot

Djinn

and Tonic
Bongo Bongo is interesting in that it did have a little bit of a story behind it. It was originally sealed in the shadow temple but Impa years before the time of the game. And was released by Ganondorf after he took over Hyrule and secured the temples. It is referred to as a shadow spirit by Sheik when Link returns seven years later.

Link....A terrible thing has happened! The evil shadow spirit has been released! Impa, the leader of Kakariko Village, had sealed the evil shadow spirit in the bottom of the well.... But the force of the evil spirit got so strong, the seal of the well broke, and it escaped into the world!! I believe Impa has gone to the Shadow Temple to seal it again, but...she will be in danger without any help!
An old man in Kakariko tells the story of the man who could see the truth and that his house was standing where the well is now.
A long time ago... There was a man in this very village who had an eye they said could see the truth! Now usually, you have to train your mind's eye most strenuously to actually see the truth... But this fella, no, they say he had a different way of doing things... His house stood where the well is now..
Possibly creating some kind of connection between the two as the lens is needed to pass the Shadow Temple and see Bongo Bongo. And that the area at the bottom of the well looks like an extension of the Shadow Temple.

It is clearly some form of spirit as Link requires the lens of truth to see it, like all other ghosts and spirits in the game. The Shadow temple itself is very similar to the Arbiter's grounds in that it appears to be a prison of some kind that is no longer in use. The inscription on one of the main doors reads
Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred
Either referring to the lawless individuals imprisoned there or that it tells the bloody history of Hyrule and many people suffered there in the name of the crown. There are many jail cells inhabited by redeads, torture devices, and bombable walls made of skulls and bones. It has a lot of death symbolism within it as well, with the many blue fires throughout, the large skull statues, and the twin grim reaper trap near the beginning. It also has a ferry that takes Link over a smoky ghost like river to the end of the dungeon, possibly meant to symbolize the mythological Charon's ferry that carried spirits to the land of the dead in Greek Mythology.

This could lead me to think Bongo Bongo could be one of three things. A great and terrible shadow demon attracted to the death and suffering of the Shadow Temple Prison and continues to haunt the area. The restless spirit of a criminal that was taken there and died. His severed hands show that he might have been punished for theft or other such offense. Or a massive accumulation of the emotions of hatred, suffering, greed, and agony created it and it resembles a mix mash of evil spirits in the forms of punished souls. This might explain why both hands were severed instead of simply one as would be the punishment for theft. And why it was hanging from the ceiling as hanging from the feet was a common form of punishment as well.

Why it beats a drum might be largely symbolic. Drums have long been important tools of shamans to communicate with the spirits and strange rituals that summon it might have used large drums that it used in the fight with Link. That might be the very drum that summoned it in the room.
The drum is used by shamans of several peoples in Siberia, the Inuit, and many other cultures all over the world, although its usage for shamanistic seances may be lacking among the Inuit of Canada. The beating of the drum allows the shaman to achieve an altered state of consciousness or to travel on a journey between the physical and spiritual worlds. Much fascination surrounds the role that the acoustics of the drum play to the shaman.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism#Music.2C_songs

The large magic circle and altar in the entrance of the dungeon hints at shamanistic rituals taking place in the Temple as well. Many cultures did have some form of ritualistic sacrifice of prisoners.

800px-Shadow.jpg

Another interesting thing about the temple is the Gerudo Symbol that appears in one area on a turning puzzle meant to open a door.

gerudosymbol.png

And again on a movable block
gerudo2.png

So much like the Arbiter's grounds it appears to be a former prison filled with the restless spirits of criminals, and it has a connection to the Gerudo. The builders of the Spirit Temple. It is interesting to me that a Spirit Temple and a Shadow Temple, filled with restless spirits could have been built by the same people. Or that Gerudo could have been imprisoned here as well during the warring period of Hyrule's History.

Another possibility is that Bongo Bongo was a larger more powerful Twili Shadow Beast. It bears a few similarities in that it has a single eye for a head surrounded by large tendrils. While the Common Twili Shadow beasts have a type of shield or armor with a single round design, possibly representing an eye, surrounded by many smaller tendrils. Both have shadowy powers in that they can melt into shadows and move as if they were spirits. Midna says in TP that the twilight turns mortals into spirits, as it sis for the Hylians of Castle Town, so they would have very spirit like abilities such as intangibility and the ability to be invisible or move through shadows.

Bongobongo.png

Shadow_Beast_Official_Website.jpg

The common Hylians of OoT time might not know of the Twili at all, but only think of it as some form of shadow based creature and sealed it in Kakariko well. However Impa, being a Sheikah and confidant of the Royal Family, might know exactly what it is and would know how to fight it. Haunting a shadow temple would not be too odd for the creature since the Twili, before being sealed in the twili realm, were masters of shadow magic and might have very well built the Shadow Temple in the first place.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Djinn always the best answer :)

I know right? Djinn is like a freaking prophet/philosopher, it's awesome! I can't ever hope to top his posts.

On topic, seriously, can you verify your little story about Bongo-Bongo? But maybe the guy who used to live where the well is now was the guy who entertained the king with his bongo-playing skills. Since he used to live in Kakariko, that would explain why he's there as a ghost.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
Yes. I've heard about Bongo-Bongo. It's horrible. I've seen the story on DeviantART. *shudders* how can anyone live in the well? But anyway, yes I read the story. And I was like 'oh my god'. But yeah that story is true. [COLOR]

Din Akera

Sniper

To everyone where is asking where this came from, I would say it is likely his/her own ideas put together from information collected in the game. I would like to say however, that I have heard this concept before (not the entertainer part, but the guillotine part). I don't believe that Bongo-bongo was necessarily an entertainer in the royal court. But i do think it is possible he was a sheikah, as the lived in Kakariko Village which Impa tells us was the home of the sheikah.

Now...

Bongo Bongo is interesting in that it did have a little bit of a story behind it. It was originally sealed in the shadow temple but Impa years before the time of the game. And was released by Ganondorf after he took over Hyrule and secured the temples. It is referred to as a shadow spirit by Sheik when Link returns seven years later.

An old man in Kakariko tells the story of the man who could see the truth and that his house was standing where the well is now.
Possibly creating some kind of connection between the two as the lens is needed to pass the Shadow Temple and see Bongo Bongo. And that the area at the bottom of the well looks like an extension of the Shadow Temple.

I actually disagree with these two statements. "Impa, the leader of Kakariko Village, sealed the shadow spirit in the bottom of the well. But the force of the evil spirit got to strong and the seal of the well broke, and it escaped into the world. I believe Impa has gone to the shadow temple to seal it again..." (Sheik OoT). Bongo Bongo had been sealed before the game at the bottom of the well and when it broke loose went to the shadow temple. Now this in of itself is interesting. I find it odd that once the spirit finally broke free it wished to go from its imprisonment (the well) to the shadow temple. I will get to this in just a minute

Secondly, to me, the well and the shadow temple have the same major theme, but i do not believe they are an extension of each other. The well seems much more aimed at a place of torture that was hidden form the world of Hyrule and the shadow temple is quite obviously there and out in the open. Further, the shadow temple seem much more focused on shadow magic and truth and shadow, rather than torture, as well as a theme of 'trails'. I believe it is possible the sheikah used the Shadow temple not only for its ritualistic purposes (as discussed by Djinn, and myself a little later) but also as a training ground. The large sheikah eye carved into the door and the trial by trial rooms of traps may have been used by the sheikah to train to be the guardians of Hyrule's royal family. By no means is it a light a fluffy place, but I don't see the focus as being a torture chamber. This now goes back to my previous statement. Why would Bongo Bongo go to another place of containment and torture, if he just escaped form one? He wouldn't. Let me continue.

It is obvious the shadow temple is some sort of torture chamber. The center room contains whipping braces complete with restraints, bloody floors, and obvious cell blocks. Indeed the basement is blooded with what seems to be an acid and the place is crawling with the undead. Quite obviously this is not a happy place and as Djinn said "bloody history of Hyrule and many people suffered there in the name of the crown." This could mean many things. I have heard speculation that Bongo Bongo is/was the man that lived in the house where the well is now. But as pointed out, he is headless, and has had both hands removed, very reminiscent of the guillotine. Though this is now getting into the realm of fan speculation, I believe it is possible Bongo Bongo was a rouge Sheikah who was beheaded in the torture chamber, or that 'hyrule's bloody history' may be some corruption involving the sheikah and the royal family. (I would liek to thank Hanyou and Axle the Beast for discussing these things with me and coming up with these ideas)

This could lead me to think Bongo Bongo could be one of three things. A great and terrible shadow demon attracted to the death and suffering of the Shadow Temple Prison and continues to haunt the area. The restless spirit of a criminal that was taken there and died. His severed hands show that he might have been punished for theft or other such offense. Or a massive accumulation of the emotions of hatred, suffering, greed, and agony created it and it resembles a mix mash of evil spirits in the forms of punished souls. This might explain why both hands were severed instead of simply one as would be the punishment for theft. And why it was hanging from the ceiling as hanging from the feet was a common form of punishment as well.

I largely agree with all of this and the first part could potentially be the reason Bongo Bongo went to the Shadow temple, but I don't believe it is the only reason. (I will get to that in a minute). I do believe Bongo Bongo was punished and tortured for information in the well, but I think it was more likely linked back to the 'bloody history of the crown' in that he was a shiekah (that lived in a house over the well) that knew something he shouldn't or did something he was not supposed to and was tortured and kill because of it. Now, completely speculating: if the well had always been under his house as a torture chamber, it is possible he was some sort of keeper or tender to the prison and wanted to go public against the crown with the information he had. In mythology, it is not uncommon for a spirit with unfinished business to not pass on, but to remain. If Bongo Bongo knew or did something he felt was important for all of Hyrule to know, this could have been his reason for staying, coupled with his unorthodox death.

Why it beats a drum might be largely symbolic. Drums have long been important tools of shamans to communicate with the spirits and strange rituals that summon it might have used large drums that it used in the fight with Link. That might be the very drum that summoned it in the room.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism#Music.2C_songs

The large magic circle and altar in the entrance of the dungeon hints at shamanistic rituals taking place in the Temple as well. Many cultures did have some form of ritualistic sacrifice of prisoners.
800px-Shadow.jpg

This is exactly where I was leading. If the shadow temple is indeed a place of rituals and summoning, as we see with the entrance and the drum motif, it is possible that Bongo Bongo's spirit went there to be bale to 'heal' on some level and communicate his knowledge and unfinished business. The argument arises, that the shadow temple does not appear to be a place of healing in any sense, but I did not say it was 'good magic' or 'good healing' Dark/shadow powers can be used to do the same things, just in a different way. The situation becomes more complicated when Impa's actions are taken into consideration. She sealed this sheikah in the well and goes tot he shadow temple to try and seal him there. But it is possible she didn't know the whole story and was simply following orders from her king. Link's actions in turn revolve around the belief that Bongo bongo was a threat to the Hyrule and the need to destroy in the name of protection.

Another interesting thing about the temple is the Gerudo Symbol that appears in one area on a turning puzzle meant to open a door.

And again on a movable block
So much like the Arbiter's grounds it appears to be a former prison filled with the restless spirits of criminals, and it has a connection to the Gerudo. The builders of the Spirit Temple. It is interesting to me that a Spirit Temple and a Shadow Temple, filled with restless spirits could have been built by the same people. Or that Gerudo could have been imprisoned here as well during the warring period of Hyrule's History.

Another possibility is that Bongo Bongo was a larger more powerful Twili Shadow Beast. It bears a few similarities in that it has a single eye for a head surrounded by large tendrils. While the Common Twili Shadow beasts have a type of shield or armor with a single round design, possibly representing an eye, surrounded by many smaller tendrils. Both have shadowy powers in that they can melt into shadows and move as if they were spirits. Midna says in TP that the twilight turns mortals into spirits, as it sis for the Hylians of Castle Town, so they would have very spirit like abilities such as intangibility and the ability to be invisible or move through shadows.

The common Hylians of OoT time might not know of the Twili at all, but only think of it as some form of shadow based creature and sealed it in Kakariko well. However Impa, being a Sheikah and confidant of the Royal Family, might know exactly what it is and would know how to fight it. Haunting a shadow temple would not be too odd for the creature since the Twili, before being sealed in the twili realm, were masters of shadow magic and might have very well built the Shadow Temple in the first place.

These are two very interesting comparisons and I like them a lot, though i don't have much to say on it yet. I'm sure if i sits with me for awhile I will start to develop an opinion. Good find Djinn!

Djinn

and Tonic
I actually disagree with these two statements. "Impa, the leader of Kakariko Village, sealed the shadow spirit in the bottom of the well. But the force of the evil spirit got to strong and the seal of the well broke, and it escaped into the world. I believe Impa has gone to the shadow temple to seal it again..." (Sheik OoT). Bongo Bongo had been sealed before the game at the bottom of the well and when it broke loose went to the shadow temple. Now this in of itself is interesting. I find it odd that once the spirit finally broke free it wished to go from its imprisonment (the well) to the shadow temple. I will get to this in just a minute

Secondly, to me, the well and the shadow temple have the same major theme, but i do not believe they are an extension of each other. The well seems much more aimed at a place of torture that was hidden form the world of Hyrule and the shadow temple is quite obviously there and out in the open. Further, the shadow temple seem much more focused on shadow magic and truth and shadow, rather than torture, as well as a theme of 'trails'. I believe it is possible the sheikah used the Shadow temple not only for its ritualistic purposes (as discussed by Djinn, and myself a little later) but also as a training ground. The large sheikah eye carved into the door and the trial by trial rooms of traps may have been used by the sheikah to train to be the guardians of Hyrule's royal family. By no means is it a light a fluffy place, but I don't see the focus as being a torture chamber. This now goes back to my previous statement. Why would Bongo Bongo go to another place of containment and torture, if he just escaped form one? He wouldn't. Let me continue.

Well I included that Ganondorf might have freed Bongo Bongo to act as the guardian of the temple since he had placed guardians of the other temples before. Volvagia was resurrected, Phantom Ganon was created to guard the forest temple, and morpha was created to freeze Zora's Domain and guard the Lake Temple. Ganondorf was positing himself so that there could be no threats to his power from the sages.
"One Sage is waiting for the time of awakening in the Forest Temple. The Sage is a girl I am sure you know...Because of the evil power in the temple, she cannot hear the awakening call from the Sacred Realm... Unfortunately, equipped as you currently are, you cannot even enter the temple... But, if you believe what I'm saying, you should head to Kakariko Village... Do you understand, Link?" — Sheik
Rauru mentions Ganondorf flooding the temples with evil power as well. Also his attack of the Earth and Wind sages in WW so that the master sword is powerless shows that he know much about the temples and their purposes, and does takes steps to prevent their intervention.

I thought the well might be connected or another part of the same temple based on the fact that the design of the floors and walls were the same as that of the shadow temple. However I would not quite say the shadow temple was out in the open, it is built into the mountain behind the graveyard of Kakariko and requires the Nocturne of Shadow to reach the entrance. It is tucked away behind the village and only the Sheikah have the knowledge to reach it, unless they teach that particular skill to anyone else as they did with Link. There are three major torture rooms in the dungeon, and along with the numerous skulls along the walls and blood stains. The hidden and secret walls are also telling, as it would be another location that only a Sheikah would have the knowledge to pass through. I also think this is placed here for imprisoning purposes since illusionary walls would easily stop any escape attempts. This place would definitely be the last

This is exactly where I was leading. If the shadow temple is indeed a place of rituals and summoning, as we see with the entrance and the drum motif, it is possible that Bongo Bongo's spirit went there to be bale to 'heal' on some level and communicate his knowledge and unfinished business. The argument arises, that the shadow temple does not appear to be a place of healing in any sense, but I did not say it was 'good magic' or 'good healing' Dark/shadow powers can be used to do the same things, just in a different way. The situation becomes more complicated when Impa's actions are taken into consideration. She sealed this sheikah in the well and goes tot he shadow temple to try and seal him there. But it is possible she didn't know the whole story and was simply following orders from her king. Link's actions in turn revolve around the belief that Bongo bongo was a threat to the Hyrule and the need to destroy in the name of protection.

This is not the only time there has been some sort of ritualistic symbols and seals in a prison setting.

DeathSwordRoped.jpg

Death Sword of TP had numerous seals placed on the sword itself and seemed to be set in the middle of a ritualistic circle as well.

If I really had to guess based on what is seen in the various pics, I would say the shadow temple was repurposed by the royal family of Hyrule due to it's relatively hard to find location and design. As some rooms come off as torture chambers, while others are much more like the rooms found in previous temples with the usual traps and secrets placed in the walls. However the many various small prison cells near the beginning housing redeads cannot be denied. I think the royal family decided to simply use this existing structure instead of building their own new dungeon. It is already relatively hidden and manned and maintained by the most loyal servants to the crown. Rauru stated that the ancient sages built the Temple of Time and Temple of Light. Since all the other temples hold the same purpose it makes sense that they would also have been built by the ancient sages.

"When evil rules all, an awakening voice from the Sacred Realm will call those destined to be Sages, who dwell in the five temples. One in a deep forest... One on a high mountain... One under a vast lake... One within the house of the dead... One inside a goddess of the sand... Together with the Hero of Time, the awakened ones will bind the evil and return the light of peace to the world... This is the legend of the temples passed down by my people, the Sheikah." — Sheik
The large altar in the entrance surrounded by a circle and torches shows that the temple possibly had different purposes before it was made to hold and torture prisoners.

Din Akera

Sniper
I thought the well might be connected or another part of the same temple based on the fact that the design of the floors and walls were the same as that of the shadow temple. However I would not quite say the shadow temple was out in the open, it is built into the mountain behind the graveyard of Kakariko and requires the Nocturne of Shadow to reach the entrance. It is tucked away behind the village and only the Sheikah have the knowledge to reach it, unless they teach that particular skill to anyone else as they did with Link. There are three major torture rooms in the dungeon, and along with the numerous skulls along the walls and blood stains. The hidden and secret walls are also telling, as it would be another location that only a Sheikah would have the knowledge to pass through. I also think this is placed here for imprisoning purposes since illusionary walls would easily stop any escape attempts. This place would definitely be the last

Alright, i will give you that, but I think the Shadow temple is more obvious than the bottom of the well in terms of presence. Anyone who went to the graveyard, as apparently people do to go on Dampe's grave digging tour, would be able to tell that something was there. Now, as tot he theming in the dungeon, i don't really think of very many of the rooms as torture rooms, but trial rooms, can you give me one of your examples? I think of the main room after crossing the pit with the hoover boots at the beginning, with the active guillotines in it, the room with the spinning blades/invisible spinning blades. The invisible moving platforms and the "raining spikes" as something that requires skills and logic to over come and move past, as you must do to complete the temple, whereas the well, simply has evidence of torture devices. To me, the similarity of the walls and floor in the two places has to do with the fact that they are built underground and require stone to hold the structure up form being collapsed in on itself. The beginning sequence of the temple where we see the skulls in the walls and the redeads (getting the hover boots) has never struck me as evidence of anything other that it is built underground in a graveyard. There will be many bodies buried down there.

If I really had to guess based on what is seen in the various pics, I would say the shadow temple was repurposed by the royal family of Hyrule due to it's relatively hard to find location and design. As some rooms come off as torture chambers, while others are much more like the rooms found in previous temples with the usual traps and secrets placed in the walls. However the many various small prison cells near the beginning housing redeads cannot be denied. I think the royal family decided to simply use this existing structure instead of building their own new dungeon. It is already relatively hidden and manned and maintained by the most loyal servants to the crown. Rauru stated that the ancient sages built the Temple of Time and Temple of Light. Since all the other temples hold the same purpose it makes sense that they would also have been built by the ancient sages.

The large altar in the entrance surrounded by a circle and torches shows that the temple possibly had different purposes before it was made to hold and torture prisoners.

I can certainly agree with this. And potentially we could both be on the right track and the temple was originally used for training of the sheikah and was repurposed by the Royal family for less-nice things and was kept hidden for that reason. This might have been a good location also because as we know in OoT the sheikah are a dying race, and would most likely not be using it as often as they had been in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom