• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Official A.I. Thread

Is A.I. A Good Thing?

• Yes, It shall save us.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No, it shall destroy us.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Somewhere in between.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Other, explain in a post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Using it and relying on it are two different things.
But simply using it doesn’t progress society in any way. Once again, you rely on transportation that was invented less than 150 years ago for any sort of transportation, both for yourself and nearly every single physical object you use.
People are literally gatekept from participating in society if they don't have a smartphone; increasingly so every year. Want to order food from a restaurant? Better have a damn qr scanner or you can't access the menu. That one can probably be blamed on money though: they want you to depend on tech for everythiing because then you have to spend a 2000 dollar fee in order to function... but at the bonus that it proves how easy we are to control. Companies love malleable people, yes?

And before that you were gatekept by knowing how to use a pen to sign the bill. That doesn’t mean that they were in cahoots with Bic. It’s not the restaurants fault that they realized it’s easier to utilize a tool that everyone has inside their pocket than it is to print out 100 physical menus. Most restaurants carry physical menus in addition to that anyway so I think this complaint specifically doesn’t quite apply. The cell phone didn’t become popular just because corporations wanted a way to squeeze every penny out of people, if it were that easy then something like that would have happened long before that. They became popular because they’re legitimately useful tools for a variety of circumstances.

The last thing we will unlearn is how to think for ourselves and that's already happening. People don't question information they're given anymore. Even in my short time on inaturalist, I see people tagging insects as species that don't even REMOTELY resemble the picture because that's what the ai told them and they don't take the time to say "wait a minute, let me see if I could manually categorize this." They just, on principle, trust what they're being fed. And no, that is too far. And it's not even wholly a problem with the ai, it's how our psychology is changing because the way we're being told to use it suggests it knows more than us.
You say that as if this is somehow AI’s fault, when in reality this has been going on for ages. It’s always been difficult to differentiate between true and false. Yeah it gets more obvious when a new technology that involves communication is involved, but that doesn’t mean that it happens any more than usual because of that technology.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
What history demonstrates is that improvement of technology doesn't remove jobs necessarily, it reshapes them.

For example, everyone forgets all of the technology used in agriculture, yet improvement of technology and agricultural sciences didn't get rid of the need for farmers.

Rather, the farmer's job was reshaped.

That's how I view any advancement in technology or science.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I think in a century, "job" would have a different meaning since humans would be replaceable. People would do the work they want rather than high paying jobs

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I think in a century, "job" would have a different meaning since humans would be replaceable. People would do the work they want rather than high paying jobs
Not generally what history shows, though. With the development of technology, jobs moreso get redefined at worst. Take the postal service, for example. Even with email effectively rendering letters obsolete, we still have people delivering parcels and mail.

Take nurses for example. Sure, we could reach a point where robotics and AI is advanced enough to do some of a nurse's job, but there's so much in medicine that requires human ingenuity and problem solving.

Farming is another, robots are already used in many farms of all types, yet farmers are still very much a necessity.

No matter what the human endeavor we're talking about is, there's always a higher level and deeper understanding to it, and some fields we depend on in our modern society, like agriculture, technology, scientific research, civil engineering, plumbing, water treatment, medicine, and such all have deeper understandings, expertise, and dare I say, a certain art to them. There's a reason why while college education is ultimately useful, people in these fields say experience is the best teacher, because college cannot possibly account for everything you're likely to experience in the real world.

Problems won't just magically go away with the advancement of technology and science, often deeper understandings result and create new fields to explore.

Solving and overcoming problems is something all of us are always going to be preoccupied with. Identifying problems, and working to solve them with practical solutions is what built civilization.

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
Not generally what history shows, though. With the development of technology, jobs moreso get redefined at worst. Take the postal service, for example. Even with email effectively rendering letters obsolete, we still have people delivering parcels and mail.

Take nurses for example. Sure, we could reach a point where robotics and AI is advanced enough to do some of a nurse's job, but there's so much in medicine that requires human ingenuity and problem solving.

Farming is another, robots are already used in many farms of all types, yet farmers are still very much a necessity.

No matter what the human endeavor we're talking about is, there's always a higher level and deeper understanding to it, and some fields we depend on in our modern society, like agriculture, technology, scientific research, civil engineering, plumbing, water treatment, medicine, and such all have deeper understandings, expertise, and dare I say, a certain art to them. There's a reason why while college education is ultimately useful, people in these fields say experience is the best teacher, because college cannot possibly account for everything you're likely to experience in the real world.

Problems won't just magically go away with the advancement of technology and science, often deeper understandings result and create new fields to explore.

Solving and overcoming problems is something all of us are always going to be preoccupied with. Identifying problems, and working to solve them with practical solutions is what built civilization.

So true, when I am at the self checkouts, they break down, errors, and accidental scans require a human to come fix them. Even if A.I. say helped you shop, it could make an error and a person will have to amend it.

Last edited:

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
So true, when I am at the self checkouts, they break down, errors, and accidental scans require a human to come fix them. Even if A.I. say helped you shop, it couod make an error and a person will have to amend it.
Exactly. And as Boston Dynamics' robot dog, Spot, shows, robots and AI perform better at certain tasks than we people do. For example, Spot is being used right now to go into places to do work where it's extremely dangerous for a person to go, namely high radiation areas, areas hit by natural disaster, stuff of that nature.

I'm not saying it'll be all bad, but I'm also not saying it'll be all sunshine and rainbows. It may make some parts of our lives much more easy, it may affect other areas for sure, but the general trend of history is that jobs don't magically disappear with implementation of technology, they just get reshaped at worst.

^_^

Fierce Deity Link

Exactly. And as Boston Dynamics' robot dog, Spot, shows, robots and AI perform better at certain tasks than we people do. For example, Spot is being used right now to go into places to do work where it's extremely dangerous for a person to go, namely high radiation areas, areas hit by natural disaster, stuff of that nature.

I'm not saying it'll be all bad, but I'm also not saying it'll be all sunshine and rainbows. It may make some parts of our lives much more easy, it may affect other areas for sure, but the general trend of history is that jobs don't magically disappear with implementation of technology, they just get reshaped at worst.

^_^
See that is what no one is saying. Its all “doomsday,” *drum roll Terminator theme*, but A.I. and robotics can safety go where man cannot. Imagine if A.I. and robotics was there are Chernobyl? There is a place for A.I., we just need to not be brainless and put it in control of stuff humans alone need dominion over.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
See that is what no one is saying. Its all “doomsday,” *drum roll Terminator theme*, but A.I. and robotics can safety go where man cannot. Imagine if A.I. and robotics was there are Chernobyl? There is a place for A.I., we just need to not be brainless and put it in control of stuff humans alone need dominion over.
Well sure, I'm just saying it's hard to predict the way technology will go, and those saying so matter of factly that AI and robots will destroy modern life are like the doomsayers of yore.

What I like to do is look back on what people used to think was futuristic, but they were WAY off the mark. My favorite example is Tomorrowland in Disneyland.

Walt Disney built Disneyland in 1955, and Tomorrowland was to be his vision for what the future will bring, and at the time, it was supposed to show the grand vision of the future of tomorrow.... in 1987.

Dippin' Dots is another. It's been advertised as the ice cream of the future since 1987.

Fierce Deity Link

Well sure, I'm just saying it's hard to predict the way technology will go, and those saying so matter of factly that AI and robots will destroy modern life are like the doomsayers of yore.

What I like to do is look back on what people used to think was futuristic, but they were WAY off the mark. My favorite example is Tomorrowland in Disneyland.

Walt Disney built Disneyland in 1955, and Tomorrowland was to be his vision for what the future will bring, and at the time, it was supposed to show the grand vision of the future of tomorrow.... in 1987.

Dippin' Dots is another. It's been advertised as the ice cream of the future since 1987.
Indeed, Tomorrowland and even The Jettsons has not happened: no flying cars. Honestly I don’t think we will get flying cars unless they are flown by A.I. or else can you inagine crashes in the sky that then fall and land in houses, skycrapers, and etc?

Probablt will be more like highways in Minority Report ans the remake of Total Recall.

Yeah the doomsdayers have a louder voice these days. I do urge caution with sweeping technologies, and failsafes, but we need to be open minded too.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Indeed, Tomorrowland and even The Jettsons has not happened: no flying cars. Honestly I don’t think we will get flying cars unless they are flown by A.I. or else can you inagine crashes in the sky that then fall and land in houses, skycrapers, and etc?

Probablt will be more like highways in Minority Report ans the remake of Total Recall.

Yeah the doomsdayers have a louder voice these days. I do urge caution with sweeping technologies, and failsafes, but we need to be open minded too.
The funnier one is jetpacks. There's no failsafes for you if that jetpack fails, and now you realize how much of a b*tch Isaac Newton's 1st Law of Motion is.

Also, how does the jetpack get lift? Rocket fuel? If so, toasty buns, man!

Fierce Deity Link

The funnier one is jetpacks. There's no failsafes for you if that jetpack fails, and now you realize how much of a b*tch Isaac Newton's 1st Law of Motion is.

Also, how does the jetpack get lift? Rocket fuel? If so, toasty buns, man!
Lol Boba Fett and The Rocketeer make jetpacks look cool, but realistic problems of one as you have pointed out make them perilous.

I do have to admit Zelda TotK has made me decide to skydive for first time in my life. I only hope the plane isn’t flown by A.I. Not ready tp trust if for that.

Speaking of which there is 747 or maybe different size that is completely auto pilot, no human captain. :eek:

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend

What I meant to say was that now with AI, the nature of work people do changed. For eg, take marine engineering. Even after the development of unmanned machinery spaces, the human resources required to run the ship hasn't changed even tho a vessel can be entirely autonomous. Like in the old days, it wasn't like "I have to earn more so I have to sail. Now mostly people who're interested in machinery and engines come to this field. If AI in agriculture significantly develops, people wouldn't be like "I have to feed my family so I gotta do this" now people who want to do agriculture would do it.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello

Part of that is definitely thanks to the stronghold the oil industry has on governments everywhere

My uncle has a plane and it's much more efficient for getting around the mountains than a car is, but unless huge changes happen we would never see anything like an aerial bus system for mid scale travel. It could totally be feasible to live in Nevada and work in California if cars and gas weren't so profitable to lawmakers

There's still the whole "the technology for this can definitely be replicated it's just stupid and impractical" angle that y'all already mentioned of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom