• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Official A.I. Thread

Is A.I. A Good Thing?

• Yes, It shall save us.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No, it shall destroy us.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Somewhere in between.

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Other, explain in a post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
One of big questions.. drum roll, how will A.I. effect gaming? :D
I mean will it suck like so called AI in some games or be like those chessmaster AIs that make you want to pour a drink in the computer board?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
The steam engine replaced the hundreds of people driving horse drawn carriages per wagon train with about 10 people per steam train. Human operation is never going to go away, it just means that the ones who are there will be able to produce more, for better or for worse.
Steam engine requires human labor, ai does not.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I agree fail safes probably would shut it down in the eventuality of a collapse or glitch, but in the food situation the falisafe would do damage as people starve till the problem is resolved.
Hmm, there are various types of fail safe that still allow the system to work normally or at a reduced capacity. They don't necessarily need to cease operation after a collapse or glitch is identified.

A common example is in the airplanes, who have like three or four fail-safes for certain mechanisms, if I remember correctly, but are still able to maintain flight perfectly until the end of its trip.

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
Hmm, there are various types of fail safe that still allow the system to work normally or at a reduced capacity. They don't necessarily need to cease operation after a collapse or glitch is identified.

A common example is in the airplanes, who have like three or four fail-safes for certain mechanisms, if I remember correctly.
You give me hope that the digirati and our govts have the sense to not let things crash in a way that would do great harm.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
Coding =/= labor. Also, the whole point of ai is to get it to a point where it can tell itself what to do, no?
Not really, it will follow after what was imposed to it via programming like any other autonomous machine. The idea behind AI is that it fine-tunes itself ("learns") as it operates. It tries to make the best choice for a given circumstance given a certain goal.

So like, as an example: you put an AI into a dummy and wants it to run as fast as possible from point A to point B. You'll code literally mathematical functions, and give it some parameters that will be slightly altered over time. It will try a certain technique (given by the values of the parameters plugged into the function), then another one, then compare which one performed better and pick the better one (farther away, or fastest in this case). Then it will try another slightly different technique, then it will compare and pick the better one, and so on.

Or as another example, an AI algorithm that converts writing of the scanned pages of a book (an image) into text characters. In this case the way to see how well it's performing is by comparing with the correct answer (this was vastly done in the past in the form of people filling out captchas! usually there were two prompts, half of them were for verifying if you were a bot, and half of them were to train AIs - nowadays it's often seen with images rather than text). It keeps "practicing" until it perfects said skill.

When people say it will substitute, like, physical labor, that's certainly a possibility, but it will take ages for it to be done because it will require extremely extensive training. And it's not like it will exclude all forms of work, as people will still need to make sure these are working properly, take care of maintenance, program, etc.

Using it and relying on it are two different things.

People are literally gatekept from participating in society if they don't have a smartphone; increasingly so every year. Want to order food from a restaurant? Better have a damn qr scanner or you can't access the menu. That one can probably be blamed on money though: they want you to depend on tech for everythiing because then you have to spend a 2000 dollar fee in order to function... but at the bonus that it proves how easy we are to control. Companies love malleable people, yes?

The last thing we will unlearn is how to think for ourselves and that's already happening. People don't question information they're given anymore. Even in my short time on inaturalist, I see people tagging insects as species that don't even REMOTELY resemble the picture because that's what the ai told them and they don't take the time to say "wait a minute, let me see if I could manually categorize this." They just, on principle, trust what they're being fed. And no, that is too far. And it's not even wholly a problem with the ai, it's how our psychology is changing because the way we're being told to use it suggests it knows more than us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom