• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The NX

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
So the NX is coming.
During the direct Reggie said they are going to talk about it at E32016.....
Which likely means a holiday 2016 release too.
So with them snuffing out the Wii U, almost for sure, Reggie confirms that the NX is indeed a home console.
http://nintendoeverything.com/reggie-indicates-that-nx-is-a-home-console/
So yeah....
What are your guys' hopes and dreams for this console?
I hope for something more powerful than PS4, XBONE, and something that relies on a single gimmick. Good games that innovate with gameplay, not with its' controller.
I hope for Wii and Wii U backwards compatibility.
I also hope for a huge discount on the NX, for Wii U owners. As an apology for them killing it off and taking our money with it.
I also hope for a good starting lineup for the system(as a good lineup clearly isn't there for Wii U). This would hopefully happen with a real 3D Mario adventure game, Fzero, Metroid, Pokken Fighters, a new Hyrule Warriors, Mother 3, and a new IP.
What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Idk, what the hell is it? What is it's gimmick, afterall the Wii and Wii U had a gimmick I would be suprised if this “NX” didn't. It is just too early to say. Sure I want it to surpass the XboxOne and PS4 but seeing how far Nintendo is it'll probably just be around the same level as those consoles, if we are lucky.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I don't know about a 2016 release since the Wii U was shown off at E3 2011 and released in 2012. Same with the Wii as it was shown at E3 2005 and released in 2006. History shows it will most likely be released the year after.

TriFiERCE

Fury, Spirit, and Will
In an interview with a guy(forget his name) known for working on the Metroid Prime series he said, and I paraphrase "three years from now will be the start of the NX." or something like that, so we still have at least two years for the WiiU.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I don't know about a 2016 release since the Wii U was shown off at E3 2011 and released in 2012. Same with the Wii as it was shown at E3 2005 and released in 2006. History shows it will most likely be released the year after.
As much as I would love for that to be true.... I don't think we can look to history for this. I mean, this is the first time ever that Nintendo is quitting mid-home-console generation. I don't know... I have uneasy feeling that it will come 2016. I would love to be wrong though.
In an interview with a guy(forget his name) known for working on the Metroid Prime series he said, and I paraphrase "three years from now will be the start of the NX." or something like that, so we still have at least two years for the WiiU.
You are very much incorrect.
Kensuke Tanabe said:
If we started for Wii U now, it would likely take three years or so. So it would likely now be on Nintendo's NX console,"
He said that a new HD Prime game would likely take 3 years to develop. By that time, the NX will be out, so it would be futile to start developing a game like that for Wii U.
This means nothing of the time the NX will come out. It is only saying that they can't make a Wii U Metroid Prime.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I'm with JC here, I doubt it'll be out that quickly. My guess would be holiday 2017.

Idk, what the hell is it? What is it's gimmick, afterall the Wii and Wii U had a gimmick I would be suprised if this “NX” didn't. It is just too early to say. Sure I want it to surpass the XboxOne and PS4 but seeing how far Nintendo is it'll probably just be around the same level as those consoles, if we are lucky.
I say the NX is a gaming platform to take Nintendo into the years ahead. But people have referred to it as a "console". So I think we need to wait till 2016 to see what it really is.
The NX will surpass the PS4 and XBone, but it will do it in the Nintendo way, less about beefy technical specs and more about unique innovative ways to play the games and have fun.
The average Nintendo console of recent lasts roughly 5 years. So I see the NX being released to the public end of 2017 or sometime 2018.

Dan

Little confused on what the NX is still, from quotes above by officials it seems as if they are no longer hiding the fact that it is a console. I recall hearing officials spouting statements like "The NX isn't going to replace the Wii U but compliment it" and many other statements along those lines.
I'm not sure exactly what I want for this console, apart from good games. I wonder if Nintendo are going to step off the gimmick route now and focus on a standard console.

Little confused on what the NX is still, from quotes above by officials it seems as if they are no longer hiding the fact that it is a console. I recall hearing officials spouting statements like "The NX isn't going to replace the Wii U but compliment it" and many other statements along those lines.
I'm not sure exactly what I want for this console, apart from good games. I wonder if Nintendo are going to step off the gimmick route now and focus on a standard console.
Iwata has called NX "a dedicated gaming platform". Reggie has called NX "a console". Other representatives from Nintendo have called it "something complimentary to the WiiU" as you have said above. S you are right in saying we have conflicting information from the official sources. I guess we just have to wait and see.

I don't think Nintendo will leave innovative controls alone though. It's one of the ways Nintendo differentiates itself from Sony/MS.

When Nintendo revealed the NX during a media briefing, it was accompanied by the following image:
large.jpg

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...g_on_new_dedicated_game_platform_codenamed_nx

The NX is definitely a game platform in the traditional sense of the word, but the way it plays the console or handheld game could be a bit different than what we've come to expect in the industry. The console industry is declining in Japan. The past fiscal year was the lowest in 24 years for the country.

There was a rumor a few weeks ago about Nintendo using Android OS for the NX. Even though that rumor was shut down, it would make sense for Nintendo to invest in the profitable markets that are smartphones and tablets. Companies like Sega and Square Enix are investing more in the mobile sector. An open source mobile OS could make porting to these devices easy, eliminating a common criticism of Nintendo consoles. Not every franchise would be a good fit for this, but I can definitely see Pokemon and Mario expanding the traditional Nintendo fanbase.

There was another rumor during E3 suggesting that Nintendo could announce the "Nintendo XDS" next year. You can see the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bChBid9pHsE. This would make sense for Nintendo, since their handheld division has traditionally been their strong suit. The 3DS is selling much slower than the DS before it, but it's still managed over 50 million hardware sales.

I won't believe anything until I see it at E3, but I expect to be surprised at next year's E3. Reggie's statement at the start of the Digital Event really hammered in the point that Nintendo is transforming its hardware in a new direction.

The NX is definitely a game platform in the traditional sense of the word
Iwata has said differently. But about the rest of your post here I agree. I think Nintendo are slowly adopting to the state of affairs in Japan. That being the slow decline of the TV console in Japan. And since Nintendo is a Japan first company, anything that happens there, we will feel in some form over here as well.

Nintendo is looking more heavily into the mobile market, it working with DeNA now is proof of this.
Also it's be hard to see NX as a dedicated Nintendo portable console so soon after the New 3DS was released.

I personally would like to see the NX as a portable and TV console merger. As in not two separate consoles like we have now. But more like two parts of the same console sold separately. Both would still be sold separately and would function separately as the WiiU and 3DS do now. But they would work together. The portable side could replace the WiiU gamepad we have now. Nintendo would just have to watch out on the cost of the home console if this is the case. Think of it like this.
The 3DS replaces the WiiU gamepad and is possibly bundled in with the WiiU. The 3DS still functions as the 3DS does now, but it can also mirror what's on the TV and/or be a 2nd screen for TV games (ie just like what the WiiU gamepad does today).

More importantly this would help merge both systems digitally. To me this is the more important aspect.
  • There would be a unified eShop. Games would only be purchased once and would work for both the portable and the TV side of the console. This would be achievable because both would run using the same code so the developer only has to code the game once. Unlike now where you have to make 3DS and WiiU versions of games. You could just code the same game and use HD assets for the TV side and lesser assets for the portable side. The developers win out as people are not buying their games 2x anymore but there's no development time spent making a port of the game for the other console as there is no other console anymore.
  • There is no more portable only exclusive games. Some games would be portable side only and some would be TV side only. Because I don't think we have the technology to put a Xenoblade Chronicles X or Star Fox Zero like game on the Portable side only (in full HD) and if that ever did happen the cost would be too much. And the portable side only games would work off TV only.
  • The Japanese market can still enjoy all their games on the portable side and only purchase the portable side if they so wish. it's a fully functioning console in it's own right.
  • Since developers don't have to specially port their portable games to run on the TV side anymore, they will get more sales. At the moment some developers (like Capcom) like the 3DS but refuse to make more WiiU games. The future system solves this. A game made for the portable side of the console also works on the TV too. So people with zero interest of playing their Nintendo console outside the house (like myself for one) will be able to enjoy these games too at home and on their TV screens, with zero extra development from the developers. That's potentially extra game sales for no work. Would I buy Zelda:ALBW if I would play it on the WiiU? Hell yes. But since I don't own a 3DS I can't play it and didn't buy it. But on this future hybrid system, portable side only gamers could be played on the TV as well. Thus I'd buy games like ALBW and Nintendo would get more sales.
  • At the moment the branding for WiiU and 3DS makes sense. One is TV, the other is portable. On the new system (we shall call it NX for now) how would Nintendo clearly specify if a game could be used away from the TV on the portable part of the system. Since it's all the same system in 2 parts, the system has the same name. This is one issue Nintendo's marketing department will have to solve.
  • If you owned the portable and TV parts of the console you could transfer data between both. Like you could play a game on the TV console and just mirror the screen on the portable part. Or you could transfer the game itself to the portable part and play it natively on the portable part. This means for people with both parts, you could have all your games stored on the TV console and just transfer the 1-2 games you want to play while outside to the portable part. And when you get home, you could transfer the data back to the TV console to free up portable space for new games you'll play while outside tomorrow.
  • There would be an option for dual saving. This basically means if you user chose to for a specific game, while at home, a game's saved would be written to the portable and TV parts of the console at the same time. Basically meaning if you play a game at home, then if the game data is on the portable part, you can while outside pick up right you left off from the TV part. And when you get home you just sync your portable part to your TV part so all the portable game saves are uploaded to the TV part. In short this would allow people to play the same game at home or out and always start where they left off, no matter what part of the console the game was prior played on.
  • Games ported to the portable only side (from the TV) side would be so much easier to make because both would run off the same code. As it's the same system.

I can't think of anything else right now. This is just a few random ideas I had.

Aewon

Emperor of the Flesh-Eating Replicators
The NX should just be nintendo switching to developing ps4 and Xbox games.

That would slowly kill the industry, as Nintendo are the only ones driving change.

As much as I would love for that to be true.... I don't think we can look to history for this. I mean, this is the first time ever that Nintendo is quitting mid-home-console generation. I don't know... I have uneasy feeling that it will come 2016. I would love to be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo still remembers what happened to Sega. That's why they didn't just give up when the Wii U started doing badly.

Nintendo Reportedly Pitched NX To Third Parties During E3 2015
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ly_pitched_nx_to_third_parties_during_e3_2015

The reason I am sharing this link is more about the comment I left about it. I want to share this comment with you all. After I re-reaf it, well it got me thinking a lot.
My comment is below.

Before you say but they did this with the WiiU as well . . . you need to think about how the WiiU panned out.

On the WiiU's release there was a lot of 3rd party games. Good ones too. But only good 1st party games are console sellers. People will buy 3rd party games for Nintendo consoles if they already own the console only. And since there was no conselling 1st party game at the WiiU's release, by what I said above, the 3rd party games didn't get many sales.

The 3rd aprty develoepers realised this and slowly pulled their support for the WiiU. The moral of the story is lots of 3rd party support at a console launch is great. But you also need a good 1st party Nintendo console selling game as well.

Yes the NX nees it's own version of Wii sports or Nintendo Land. But that's not enough. It needs a serious 1st party game to sell the console. Once that console is sold then people will be like "well I'll get this great 3rd party game as well".

This is just Nintendoi's PR department talking to the 3rd party developers. Nothing Miyamoto needs to worry about. Of cause he will have the final say on anything Nintendo does. He's the big cheese there, him and Iwata. But he doesn't need to worry himself with the day to day advertising and development of the NX. The team will just show what they've done on the NX to Miyamoto and Iwata. And those two will either give their blessing to ok it or say where it needs to be fixed up and the team will go do as they instruct.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I really wish Nintendo would keep more quiet about the NX. What this is doing is giving the impression that the Wii U is dead. Is it? I don't know. None of us do. For all we know, Nintendo will talk about the NX next E3, but only briefly, and the Wii U will live to see 2017 or even 2018. Or we could get an early 2017 release, and the Wii U will be left to die. We simply don't know. I will say this right now, if Nintendo kills of the Wii U like they did the Wii, I will be pissed.

The Wii died a very unceremonious death. Nintendo literally pulled the plug from the Wii, and that was that. Now, look at what Sony and MS did with the PS360: they're still being supported with games. Still. The Wii? No. It's done and dusted. I've owned my Wii U for less than 365 days, and if I find out next year that Nintendo are prematurely pulling the plug, I won't forgive them. As a consumer, and as a fan, I will not forgive them. I want them to continue to support the Wii U until it reaches a natural end, not a forced one because they screwed up with it.

As for what I want from the next home console? I want a console that is in the same ballpark in terms of hardware with the PS5. I don't want the most powerful. It's not necessary, but it has to be in the same general area. Otherwise, we're going to be shafted by 3rd parties again. Yes, poor 3rd party sales have a lot to do with it (and a lot of that is the fault of 3rd parties themselves), but being that the games can't be ported over makes a big difference.

Essentially, I don't want to have to buy more than one console. I want to be able to play, say, Fallout 4 AND Xenoblade X on the same console, and I should be able to. I shouldn't have to buy two consoles for it. Microsoft's box will play Fallout 4 and their Halo games. The PS4 will play Fallout 4 and Final Fantasy or Persona 5 or Bloodborne. There's no real reason, other than Nintendo's stubbornness, that I can't play Fallout 4 and Bayonetta 2 or Xenoblade X on my console. It's, frankly, unacceptable.

What I don't want is a hybrid, that is neither truly console nor truly handheld. I want a gaming machine that checks all the boxes. Good, unified online system. Good, quality hardware (not necessarily uber powerful, but quality), Good, fun software. That's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom