• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Nintendo Direct News And Discussion Thread

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
do any games really *need* to exist? they exist cuz someone has an idea they want to share with an audience. its not necessary for existence but it enriches it like any art can.
Ok, but what is that idea exactly? From what I’ve seen, this literally just looks like Splatoon 2… again. Sure there’s been a few announcements for some new changes, but none if it seems substantial enough to justify a brand new game as opposed to just updating 2. It would be one thing if Splatoon 3 released on a new console but its not.

As it stands, all that splatoon 3 is gonna do is split the active install base between the 2 games. There really hasn’t been a hook to the game to give people a reason to buy it when they already have Splatoon 2. Thats what I’m hoping this Direct will fix because otherwise 3 is gonna be a bust sales-wise.

i mean probably for the same reason smash ultimate wasnt a port, which i remember being a huge argument back when that game was announced, too.

there are probably more technical and mechanical changes than we know about that do indeed justify the decision to make it a new game. i can see some controvery about the online while splatoon 2 still exists, but i mean you could argue the same of gen 6 and gen 7 pokemon games in the competitive scene.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
i mean probably for the same reason smash ultimate wasnt a port, which i remember being a huge argument back when that game was announced, too.

there are probably more technical and mechanical changes than we know about that do indeed justify the decision to make it a new game. i can see some controvery about the online while splatoon 2 still exists, but i mean you could argue the same of gen 6 and gen 7 pokemon games in the competitive scene.
The differences between this and Smash are that:

A.There hadn’t been a Smash game on the system yet, so even if it were a port than it would still be more reasonable than having the same game on the system twice.

B. Ultimate had far more of a hook when it was announced than anything we’ve gotten from Splatoon 3 so far.

C. We were constantly getting updates between reveal and release with Ultimate that quickly quelled any fears of it being a port.

The same kinda goes for Pokemon. Most of the games have had a decent amount of coverage surrounding the new Pokemon, region, gimmicks, etc. I mean, Scarlet and Violet were announced an entire year after Splatoon 3 and yet we‘ve gotten a ton of info on the game, meanwhile Splatoon 3, and to a much greater extent BotW2, have gotten close to nothing. It’s reasonable to be worried that Splatoon 3 won’t be a worthwhile or necessary sequel when nothing has been said about it.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
There's a ton of difference between Splatoon 2 and 3. It continues the story that will result from the last Splatfest like 1 did. And despite everyone thinking only the online matters, some people do care about the story mode as well. There are upgraded weapons and specials/subs. They had a whole video showing gameplay with the new specials and subs on their Twitter. They change the gameplay quite a bit. It's hard to introduce a whole knew weapon class like the bow and arrow as well in 2 after all this time. Salmon run has been updated with some new features. There are new maps, and I anticipate that there will be new hosts. New music/bands. A ton more customization features for the inklings/octolings. As well as the addition of playable octolings for everyone besides just the people who bought the octo-expansion.

That's basically updates/additions to every aspect of the game. So I'm not sure why so many people keep saying it looks just like Splatoon 2 so there was no reason for a third game. Mario Kart is changed less than that between games and it's still a huge seller.

as far as thinner spread coverage goes, i think we can see that that's not something unique to splatoon 3 and its an ongoing problem with nintendo right now. smash ultimate's abundant coverage was from a time before the pandemic hit, back when we had frequent nintendo directs. that they're doing a splatoon 3 direct is at least something of a step better than them being secretive about botw2. but these games all have different teams working on them too so they will only share as much information as they're comfortable sharing and different teams may be more willing to share more details than others, regardless of how much the pandemic may still be affecting their work or not.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
There's a ton of difference between Splatoon 2 and 3. It continues the story that will result from the last Splatfest like 1 did. And despite everyone thinking only the online matters, some people do care about the story mode as well.
To a much, much lesser extent, yes. Thats a reason to buy the game, sure, but thats not exactly the games main selling point. It’s not like Zelda where theres a massive emphasis on the changes implemented in the singleplayer aspect, and even then Zelda has always sold significantly worse when it was the 2nd title on its console, even when the first title was a port like with LttP+FS and MC.

There are upgraded weapons and specials/subs. They had a whole video showing gameplay with the new specials and subs on their Twitter. They change the gameplay quite a bit. It's hard to introduce a whole knew weapon class like the bow and arrow as well in 2 after all this time. Salmon run has been updated with some new features. There are new maps, and I anticipate that there will be new hosts. New music/bands. A ton more customization features for the inklings/octolings. As well as the addition of playable octolings for everyone besides just the people who bought the octo-expansion.
Ok, but imagine that you’re just an ordinary consumer who already owns Splatoon 2. You enjoy playing, but you’re not some Splatoon mega-fan. Do you really think that all of that is going to be enough to convince you to spend an entire $60 on a brand new game?

That’s the thing you have to remember. Sure, maybe you’re convinced, but Nintendo doesn’t need to make this appeal to you to sell well. They already know that most people who are huge fans of Splatoon are pretty much guaranteed to buy it, and thats a tiny fraction of their install base. Over twice as many people bought Splatoon 2 as 1. That means the majority of people who bought it had never played splatoon before. Splatoon 2 wasn’t a massive hit because of the people who actively understand what makes 3 different from 2, it was a massive hit because of the people who just saw splatoon on the switch and thought it looked fun.

Mario Kart is changed less than that between games and it's still a huge seller.

And how many new Mario Kart releases are on each system? Excluding spin-offs and virtual console/NSO releases of 20+ year old games, only one.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
What's the difference between Nintendo releasing a Zelda game that does the same thing for the twelfth time and a Splatoon game that does the same thing for the third time?

At least one of them hasn't been going on for forty years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom