• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess The Most Biggest Zelda Adventure of All Time?

Z

Zelda1

It happens to be that this particular game is my favorite I liked the idea of a more mature Link also the graphics are amazing, are they not?
Everything the story, the caracters well for me it's the biggest Zelda game I've ever played in very aspect I can think right now this game is the best is it not?
I also loved Ocarina of Time And the Wind Waker,but for me Twilight Princess has the better graphics
Tell me what you think! :P

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Yes, TP is my favorite Zelda game so far. I like the new ideas in the dungeons, like collecting the monkeys in the Forest Temple, walking on the ceiling in Goron Mines, Spinnering (I made up that verb) on the walls in Arbiter's Grounds, cannons in the Snowpeak Ruins, and acting like Spiderman in the City in the Sky. And yes, it is commonly accepted as the Zelda game to take the most hours to complete the game.

Yes, TP is my favorite Zelda game so far. I like the new ideas in the dungeons, like collecting the monkeys in the Forest Temple, walking on the ceiling in Goron Mines, Spinnering (I made up that verb) on the walls in Arbiter's Grounds, cannons in the Snowpeak Ruins, and acting like Spiderman in the City in the Sky. And yes, it is commonly accepted as the Zelda game to take the most hours to complete the game.
i also liked the gimmicks in the dungeons, also the song for when you discover the bosses weakness was good. very long game though, i still haven't beat it. although i don't play much.

initialDable

going deku
Twilight Princess is no doubt a big game; I really like that part about it. The realistic aspects of the graphical style are just simply amazing. I also kind of think the colors start to become monotonous. Overall TP's graphics were great! It had some really nicely designed and large dungeons. I liked the weapons, classic Zelda weapons with some twists as well as a few new ones. The sword fighting was done well with the hidden skills. The music was epic. The story was stunningly almost cinematic. I, at times, felt like I was watching a movie. The ending really has a deep meaning to it.

It's definitely the "biggest" since it's so long, but the difficulty definitely cuts down the hours it takes to play it

On the down side, the game in my opinion lacks some difficulty that previous Zelda titles had. I don't think there were any enemies that did anymore that a heart of damage. (correct me if I'm wrong)
I thought the Gamecube version of the game was better than the Wii version. I felt the Wii port could have been done better. I really don't like how it is a mirrored version of the Gamecube version. Also I felt like the controls are not as coordinated on the Wii.

Majora's Cat

How about that
Hmm. Let me think a minute here. Twilight Princess was a gargantuan game... but Wind Waker was even bigger. Here's what I think:

The Wind Waker's Great Sea was just humongous - it stretched far beyond the eye could see and is probably one of the largest landscapes in gaming. But here's where the problem arises - the space of the world is completely wasted. I feel that so much more could be placed into the ocean - the islands are also pathetically small - some are literally so small that Link can't run straight in a straight line for a few seconds because the islands are so small. It really makes you feel like the Wind Waker is somewhat limited - and that's truly disappointing. Even the biggest islands in the game are tiny: Dragon Roost Island, Outset Island, Windfall Island... these are the main three islands yet they're so small and leave you wanting more.

If every island's size could be increased ten times, then maybe WW wouldn't feel so empty. The Great Sea really tricks you into believing that Hyrule is huge. The islands can be visible from a great distance, but once again the game is playing tricks on your eyes. Instead the islands are much smaller than they looked like from a distance. This can be really upsetting... it feels as if Nintendo cheaped out again.

But other than that, WW had tons of sidequests and treasures to find that were scattered throughout the land. WW kept me busy for a very long time searching for treasure, heart pieces and treasure charts. The game was literally a treasure trove of secrets, yet the actually size of the islands were so small. The ocean is also very vast and can take several minutes to travel from one end to the other. Space is just wasted here, and that's but makes the islands feel so pathetic. The sea is huge yet many small islands are barely the size of an average suburban home.

As for Twilight Princess... the land itself wasn't as vast as WW's, but at least it was put to use. You'll find characters, sidequests and even more around every corner of this populated land. Although Hyrule Field is a bit empty, the scenery is beautiful and two places never look alike. The problem with WW was that sailing was bland - the ocean was always the same and wasn't really interesting to look at. On the other hand, TP has large mountains and temples looming in the distance that always gives you a sense of how big the game really is. The game is huge and the land is put to use, unlike WW. The different parts of Hyrule are fascinating. You have hustling and bustling locations like Castle Town and friendly villages like Kakariko Village and Ordon Village. Characters are still scattered around the land which is very diverse. From Zora's Domain to Death Mountain, the locations are big, beautiful and most of all... each has its own unique style and atmosphere.

For example, Zora's Domain really made you feel like you were in paradise. The serene sound of rushing water and the delicate architecture at the top of the area is just stunning - it really brings it to life. Then you have places like Death Mountain. Huge. Dangerous. Epic. At first there were meteors crashing down. If that doesn't deserve a :yes: then I don't know what does. Even little villages like Kakariko have a certain feel to them. Eventually you grow attached to these villages and want to revisit them to find out if a new shop has opened or if a new item is in stock. I loved the characters (although they weren't as cool as Majora's Mask's characters) - they always seemed to make you feel like you're in a comfortable atmosphere.

And most of all... epic linear areas like Gerudo Desert and Snowpeak really add a twist to the game. Normally we're used to traversing Hyrule Field to get to our next location. Much of Hyrule looks the same... until you reach Gerudo Desert and Snowpeak. They are essentially linear levels. Each one is empty and contains no NPCs. Each one is huge - especially Gerudo Desert. Looking at Arbiter's Grounds from the southern end of the desert is really mysterious and overwhelming all at once. If you look down you can even see Lake Hylia below. The scale of the game is just immense, and locations like Snowpeak show that Nintendo can create some rally magical places.

Overall I liked TP better because of the vast land. WW's may have technically been larger, but when it came to how big the islands actually were, WW just didn't but it. TP was just huge in general... with no wasted space like in Wind Waker. That's why I'd prefer to traverse TP's Hyrule Field over WW's Great Sea. :)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I really LOVE TP. It was not the first Zelda game I played or finished but I really loved it. I play it over and over again. Right now I'm about to enter the City-in-the-sky dungeon again. Once I finish the game I erase a file and create a new one. Because I have the wii version I have no idea what it is like to play the GC version but I still love the game. But it was way too easy to beat. The dungeons and the bosses could have been a bit harder. Yes it is a very long game to play and to finish but this is more because of the several sidequests and the parts where you have to save Colin, defeat King Bulblin, shooting King Bulblin and guide the Carriage with a wounded Ralis in it. This alone makes it much longer and then there is the sacred Grove where you have to fight the skullkid. These things make it so much fun to play

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
I think it's gonna be the Wind Waker, with the Great Sea to explore, and all of the islands to explore too.

I think the next big Zelda epic is gonna be Skyward Sword. We'll have dungeon-fields, and 2 worlds to explore!! Woohoo!!

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
The Biggest game? Well, I'd have to say beetween OoT and Tp.

Twlilight Princess was a great game, yes it could be pattern at times, (Wolf Link Tears of Life Human Link Temple...etc). The graphics, whilest mature they were very dark and blurry, it's true. Almost if the darkness was to cover up sometimes the lack of color or texture in certain area. And let's faces it, Hyrules field was pretty
barren. However, The story line was pretty well done. It had nostaligic feel to it, but certain things were tossed in there that didn't mix.

On the Ocarina of Time side, many of the places were teeming with enemey and, being the first 3D games there were loads of things to discover. Of course, it is lacking in some of the things the newer games are, but it is indeed a master piece.

Z

Zelda1

Well guys I have played Wind Waker and I loved it, but the only think I didn't like so far were the graphics I'm not saying they are bad at all , because I must tell the truth they great I liked a lot Fire Mountain, the way the water boils is just amazing but I stop to think: Are not better the graphics of the Twilight Princess and I'm going to say it again I loved the idea of a more mature Link I am a really love All Zelda titles so as my uncle who had played all of the titles also say it this one is one of the best Zelda Game I've ever played...
Please don't tell me that the graphics are not good, because they are great, aren't they?

I love Tp, but I have to say, I'm a waky, not twilight! (although i LOVE the the twilight zone!!!!)

Oracle of Time

Knows your future
Yes, I agree that Twilight Princess was quite a bit lengthy, but I wish it had more sidequests (if you could call the ones they already have sidequests)like in (hate to bring this game up here) Majora's Mask. And while everyone else is beating up Nintendo for the 'bla' graphics I applaud them because Twilight Princess isn't exactly 'upbeat' actualy it was almost depressing (why did minda have to go and break the mirror *sob*). So in all everyone is a idiot for hating the TP graphics, TP needs more sidequests, and I agree that TP was a 'long' game

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Best graphics? Sure, I'll give you that.
Biggest game? Welll....
I mean, sure, the physical map itself was probably the biggest, for the biggest adventure is questionable...for me, anyway.
The lack of mini games and side quests was quite disappointing, and the easiness of it was almost frustrating.
I feel that an adventure is something you have to really work for, where you can feel the difficulty of obtaining your goal. Most, if not all, of the bosses in TP were easy as pie and I had them defeated on the first go.
Physically it was huge, but in terms of adventure it was minuscule.
The above statement was all just my personal opinion and wasn't meant to offend or enrage anyone.

Din Akera

Sniper
It happens to be that this particular game is my favorite I liked the idea of a more mature Link also the graphics are amazing, are they not?
Everything the story, the caracters well for me it's the biggest Zelda game I've ever played in very aspect I can think right now this game is the best is it not?
I also loved Ocarina of Time And the Wind Waker,but for me Twilight Princess has the better graphics
Tell me what you think! :P

lol, you went up on my scale simply by saying you liked the graphics. SPOILER ALERT

For me, TP had the best graphics of any of the games I have seen by a long shot. I loved the gritty, dark, and very 'real' feeling. This is something I'm actually not looking forward to with SS. To me, destroying monsters, killing evil, and saving the world from an evil king is serious business, and TP's graphics made it feel like serious business. Some would argue 'it was not zelda, it was too mature'. Well, that may be true, but I respond with the fact that MM held darker themes, but the graphic style wasn't as dark, so the game isn't preceved as dark. I am also older than i ws for my first playthroughs of OoT and MM, so the game catered to my new-self. I like Resident Evil, and TP held some of that type of dramatic darkness. I loved the feel of TP, and the graphics were largely responsible for that.

The more mature Link is seen in that he is simply older. Now, again, arguments that we do not really know how old Adult Link is in OoT and we are never give a specific age in TP, we can simply just see he is older, make it hard to distinguish for certian whether or not he is actually older in TP. But, imo, in OoT child Link is sealed away for 7 years and his body grows up so that he can become the Hero of Time. Now, because he was asleep, his mind did not recieve any of the experiences that would normally have occurred in a person's life as they were growing up. That being said, Adult Link's body might be older, but his mind is still a child. On the other hand, TP Link's life was undisturbed up until the point of the entrance of the shadow beasts into Ordon. Therefore, he has had the opportunity to grow up in mind and body, making him more mature than OoT Link. So yes, back to the topic at hand. Link in TP is older, and this catered to myself in my older state as well. I have always thought of Link as being in his early twenties, so I really appreciated being able to see that as I was playing.

TP was the largest/longest game, boasting 9 temples, but OoT come in at a close second with 8. Now, I could argue that TP's Hyrule Castle was not a temple and should be classified similar to Ganon's Castle and Ganon's Tower from OoT, makeing TP only have 8 as well. Or, the opposite could be true, classifying Ganon's Tower and Ganon's Castle as a temple, causing OoT to have 9. The only real difference is that Hyrule Castle has a map and compase. Both of the 'final temples' have boss key's, therefore the argument could stand that OoT and TP are the same length. Getting into the issue of sidequests also has weight on total game length. OoT having 100 skultulas to find, 10 poes, Mask sales, 36 pieces of hearts, an optional dungeon (Gerudo training), bean plants, fishing, bottles, upgrades to almost every weapon, and minigames upon minigames. TP having 24 golden bugs, 60 poes souls, 45 pieces of heart, a store to save, bridge to repair, Magic Armor to obtain, 6 hidden skills, Puzzle caverns, optional dungeon (Cove of Ordeals) upgrades to most of the weapons, and several minigames. All this being said, I would probably argue that OoT is longer, even if the actual play time for TP takes more hours. OoT is a more full game.

Now to the matter at hand, is it the best game? I don't believe so. For me, the difficulty setting was much to simple. I only got frusterated once, and rarely had to truely think about what I needed to do. Midna led you by the hand to complete the main plot, and this turned the dial backward on the 'great game' scale. I want to be somewhat challenged in the game. If it is too simple, what is the point? Games are supposed to make you think, teach problem solving skills and be a source of entertainment at the same time.

The characters, as you mentioned, were well done for the most part. I do feel we got to know some of the character in TP, much more intimately than in some of the other games. But I do believe MM has TP beat on best character development. This is simply because of an advantage OoT has over TP, in that we can see change in the characters over time. We watch each and every character develop over the three days. In TP we are give huge insight into one character at a time, for only one moment in time. We rarely come back to the characters to see development or any kind of change. We see change from the time Link arrives at a 'disturbed' place to the time he 'fixes' it, but after that, every thing is stationary. Now, is this really a bad thing, no. because having every single area and character in a game as long as TP would take huge time and money to create. But, characters in TP do not out perform those in MM. Again, this is not to say that the characters in TP are poorly made because they are not, in fact, many of them are very well made. The best example is Midna, now again, this is largely because we get to see Midna change throughout the game as she spends time with Link. She grows and develops as a character. She provokes emotions in the player, starting with hate and moving through to friend and for some to something that could potentially have been more. Zant is another character that is well performed. He doesn't develop quite as much as Midna, but he does have a change of heart and we see a humanoid side of him that we can relate too.

The story was something that had me on the fence about whether it was the best game or not. Unfortuntely, like all Zelda games, the underlying plot is exactly the same. Ganondorf wants to rule the world, corrupts/kidnaps/tries to kill Zelda to try and accomplish that, Link get recruited to go and save her, destroy the King of Evil and restore peace. Now, for the most part, if this was not the main underlying story, some would argue 'it's not zelda' But that is not entirely true. I will pull MM as another example of this. Zelda, Ganondorf, and Hyrule did not even appear in the game, Link was our constent and MM turned out to be one of the best games of the series. TP's story was not overly original but did bring in some unique ideas of the Mirror of Twilight and the twilight realm. But, this theme has been used throughout fiction many many times over. Opposing forces of light and dar/good and evil. So, it was not over original, but was a good classic story.

One element of the story was was new and very interesting was the introduction of Wolf Link or wolf form. This werewolf was the first times we have been able to play Link with different abilities and fighting technique. This concept really opened a door into a new place for the game to go. Wolf Link was used for Poe and shadow beast battles as well as finding scents/directing you where to go, finding hidden spots on the ground, as well as allowing Link to exist in the twilight realm's shadows, adding to the plot elements. But, this is one portion of the game that i found could have been expanded slightly more, giving more opportunities to use Wolf Link in temples, being required to use his abilites once Link gained the ability to transform back and forth. But overall, I thought it was well done for the first time it was used in the series.

Fight techniques were one element of the game that we so very well changed from the earlier 3D games. The hidden skills as well as the simple mechanics of fighting were really stepped up in this game and I really enjoyed it. Again, this goes back to the other types of games and movies I enjoy. The action made me feel so much more powerful and apart of the story. I would love to see this advance swordplay and fight skills return in SS.

I thought the game was very innovative with items though. The ball and chain was new item. To have a power weapon with physical attack. The ball and Chain was slow, but definitely effective when the hit was made. I thouht it was innovative to swing it around your head, aim and throw. It was used for several different things in the game play: breaking ice blocks, making platforms swing/move, and moving blocks around. The Spinner was another new and very innovative item. Used more as a tool than a weapon it allowed a whole other type of 'puzzle game' Having to jump back and forth from rail to rail to get to a certain spot or make it past danger this item opened a new door for gameplay. It did function as a weapon in some instances, having enough speed allowed you to level some enimeies at least as a first attack. As well as providing a very different fighting style for a boss match. Though this item reminded me of bayblade, i really enjoyed the innovation. The Double clawshot was an old item that got a much needed update, but one that performed well. The clawshot was much more explanatory as to how it worked than the hookshot/longshot but served an extremely similar function. The addition of the DOUBLE clawshot seemed unnecessary at first and redundent, but the applications became immense very quickly after that point in the game. This item, like the spinner opened another place for innovation in gameplay and world creation and sidequests. Scaling walls whith no floor/ground became exciting, fun, and a challenge when put in the right context. If you hadn't guessed this was my favorite item in the game. The Gale boomerang again was not new, but received an upgrade of sorts. It did not change in function, but in properties of that function. Like the claw shot it received a little more explanation to how it functioned and ultimately allowed for different uses of the boomerang. Fore example, put out torches from a distance. The Dominon Rod was very creative but not so much used as a weapon, more of a tool, having the object you possesed function as the weapon. This weapon again made numerous openings for sidequests play. The biggest limitation of the weaponry would be the requirement of the right environment to use the item. The Clawshot, spinner, Dominon rod, and in some cases even the ball and chain were dependent on the environment for their use. But other than that TP had some innovative weapons.

I realized just now, that i have always said i really like TP and that it is one of my more favorite games, yet I complained a lto here about how not so good it was. Uh oh. I'm starting to sound like Axle. o_O

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
I don't think TP is the best game, because I didn't really like the story. But the graphics were awesome, a lot better as in the Wind Waker. Because it looked so realistic it was almost like this was the "real" face of Hyrule. I was almost like you could jump in your tv and visit these places in reality

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom