• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Master Sword, the Magic Sword?

Hi Zelda dungeon!

I am not good making long post, so, I am going to try to explain this.

When the legend of zelda was created, no one had the idea of the master sword, they just created the wooden sword, the white sword and the magic sword. Lets admit, is not a great name for a special item, sounds kind of random to me, there is a world full of magic swords.

so, for when alttp came out, we were able to see the emblematic master sword. Since then, Kill (not beat, four sword) ganon without the master sword has never done, OoX is an special case, we dont know if we really killed him, or if his return made him different.

Anyway, lets think this as if there were gonna be a remake of the original zelda and AoL, the games were the magic sword, hold by the old man (who I think are related to the sages in some way) in the graveyard, is the main sword, or the most powerful.

The official zelda site of america, in its encyclopedia, says that the magic sword is the master sword, but this encyclopedia has many errors or things never seen in a game, so, you cant call it cannon.

Because I love alttp so much, I readed the nintendo official guide in this site, even when I have beaten the game time ago, and there was something interesting, there are some drawings of the link from Tloz and AoL, holding what it seems to me, is the master sword:

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=289&pid=8221#top_display_media

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=289&pid=8220#top_display_media

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=289&pid=8223#top_display_media

so, can the magic sword, be the master sword?, anyway, the master sword is a magical sword too, right?

here is another interesting picture, absolutely not cannon, but is interesting how the magic sword in this game, resembles the master sword:

http://www.zeldawiki.org/File:IMG_1934.jpg

Djinn

and Tonic
I agree that the developers most likely wanted to add a little more fantasy to the story and less general game terminology by creating the master sword in LttP. And no longer calling anything "the magic sword." The nintendo Player's guide you are referring to was made around the time of LttP and included art made by their in house artists. Not Nintendo of Japan. So I would not consider anything they produce as official information. As even at this time Nintendo was creating too many mistranslations in the LttP instruction manual which caused a lot of people to no longer consider it canon information. In fact that same artist also produced art for many Final Fantasy 4 scenes when Nintendo Power covered it around that same time.

The Master Sword does look a lot like the white sword from LoZ and that has created many theories on it being the master sword since they both are mid level swords for their games.
WhiteSwordLoZ.png

Master_Sword.gif

However you never gain any more swords in that game, the master sword is tempered and then blessed by the great fairy increasing it's overall power. So I never subscribed to that particular theory.

I have always liked the idea of the magic sword being a separate sword from the master sword. Hyrule is a very ancient and magical place. And it has had it's share of trouble over the centuries, with dark overlords appearing every so often, moblins and bulblins rampaging through villages, dragons and giant one eyed insects are a fairly uncommon sight. It would make sense for people to make some weapons to combat these things when they appear. The master sword is such a sacred object that can only be used by a vary rare few that meet high requirements. So other weapons would be manufactured for times when Gohma or Jalhalla shows up to kick over villages.

Plus I also believe that it adds a little bit more depth to the story to have more than just the one single special blade to use when trouble comes to Hyrule. This is Why I like the Four Sword, it is another useful item that is very different from the Master Sword in shape and function. It does not have to be the master sword every single time a villain shows up.

Surprisingly enough they followed the very basic sword design in the LoZ manual for the Magical Sword in Soul Calibur 2. I think it came out fairly well with the source material they had to work with.
Magic_Sword_and_Magic_Shield.png

MagicalSword.png

Caeda

Keyblade Master
It seems like it. I had heard that before and thought about it and decided that it was a good idea because it seems like it would be the same because it's widly accepted that Ganon has really only been killed by the MS exept for the first game but sience he hasn't been killed without the MS sience then I think that the MS is really the Magical Sword.

That is a really bad run-on sentence there. And I did that on purpose.

MrLuigi

Theorist
Master Sword sealed in the stone forever at the end of ALttP. Very plausible it is a separate sword. I have to agree with Djinn that the white sword looks more like the Master Sword than the magic sword does.
It's possible the Master Sword, really is SEALED forever. I think I did a video on it.

Djinn

and Tonic
Ganon has been killed by a separate sword before. In FSA Link used the Four Sword against him. You can also use the Noble sword against him in the Oracle series and the Biggoron sword in OoT. Technically the only item that is actually needed to kill him was the silver arrow. As the Master sword is not enough in most appearances.

Ganon has been killed by a separate sword before. In FSA Link used the Four Sword against him. You can also use the Noble sword against him in the Oracle series and the Biggoron sword in OoT. Technically the only item that is actually needed to kill him was the silver arrow. As the Master sword is not enough in most appearances.

I already said this, in FSA ganon was sealed as far as I can remember, and Oox is a diferent story, there is a sword called master sword that is not easy to say if it is the real or an easter egg, never played OoX, but I think that the ritual wast completed as it was supposed to be, so, maybe ganon hasnt his complete power and it only vanish, you cant really say if he is dead or not.

I don't think they are the same swords personally... Because in LttP the prequel to LOZ it's put back in the lost woods, and you find the Magic Sword in the graveyard... I know LttP comes before LOZ because it says in LOZ "Ganon has escaped from the DARK WORLD"

The answer is simple: They are and have always been different swords. My evidence comes simply from the fact that Nintendo has had multiple chances to change the name, but haven't.

In 1995, the infamous "BS Legend of Zelda" was released in Japan for its satellite download service on the Super Famicom. This game, using the graphical advancements of the Super Famicom, took everything about the original Legend of Zelda and improved on it, along with many changes such as a time system that allowed special events to occur or items to appear at certain times. Anyway, the Magical Sword was present and attainable in that remake, but they didn't call it the Master Sword, even after the previously released "A Link to the Past" gave birth to the legendary weapon.

In 2003, Nintendo release "The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition", which included the original Legend of Zelda as one of the four titles added in the package. Rather than remaking the title and improving the graphics or sound of the game, they simply fixed minor text errors, such as the opening story for the game and many other things that characters say to you during the quest. Taking into consideration that fixing only textual errors was Nintendo's goal in changing anything at all in the title, one would think that if they now wanted the Magic Sword to be canonically known as the Master Sword, they would have simply renamed it. But no, they did not. The Magic Sword was still in the same spot and still had the same name.

The same version of "The Legend of Zelda" used in the Collector's Edition package was later released in 2004 for the Gameboy Advance as part of their "NES Classics" lineup. This version included all of the fixed textual errors, same as the Collector's Edition. Again, the Magic Sword retains its original name.

Even later in 2006, the same "fixed" version of the original LoZ was released for the Wii's virtual console. Nintendo even made it a point to add some backstory in the game's description the can be viewed when purchasing from the Wii Shop Channel. Nonetheless, this version was still unchanged from its edited format on the Collector's Edition disc, again, with the Magic Sword present and still originally named.

So that's four different times that the same game was released and even fixed in different ways after the birth and re-use of the Master Sword in other Zelda titles, yet the Magic Sword was never renamed. I would say that, regardless of what "official" Zelda encyclopedia says, what the games themselves say is final. You can't hardly trust the official Zelda site anyway, its pretty lacking as far as being a useful source of information goes.

zants follower

underling of the dark god
The First time I killed Ganon was using the Biggoron's sword. I do think the Master Sword Is stronger against him though... But you have to use the Master Sword for the final blow which is what matters anyway.

I must disagree. Since the 8-bit originals are on the adult timeline and ALttP is one the childs Timeline, they have no connection. Plus, The master Sword is sealed away at the bottom of the Great Sea in Ganondorf's head. The Hyrule in the 8-Bit games are also beleived to be the new Hyrule that Link and Tetra found between PH and ST. They simply could have smithed a new sword and made it look like the Master Sword, but its the magical sword. Plus the Ganon in LoZ is not Ganondorf from Oot and WW.

?

???

I must disagree. Since the 8-bit originals are on the adult timeline and ALttP is one the childs Timeline, they have no connection. Plus, The master Sword is sealed away at the bottom of the Great Sea in Ganondorf's head. The Hyrule in the 8-Bit games are also beleived to be the new Hyrule that Link and Tetra found between PH and ST. They simply could have smithed a new sword and made it look like the Master Sword, but its the magical sword. Plus the Ganon in LoZ is not Ganondorf from Oot and WW.

you can be sure the 8-bit games are in the adult time line, personaly, I think alttp is in the childs timeline, but you cant really be sure where the 8-bit games fit, both lines are posible to me.

If it is in the adult timeline, it will make sense it is a diferent sword, but I have to admit the swords can be related somehow.

Anyway, we are forgeting the silver arrows, which I think are very similar to the light arrows

Here's a quick theory: LoZ and AoL take place late in the Adult Timeline, and sometime between OoT and LoZ something happened to the Master Sword in a game that hasn't been produced yet. Maybe it was utterly destroyed by Ganon or locked away forever by Ganon, or something. Point is, something happened to the Master Sword and it no longer has the power to repel evil or it isn't accessible, so the Sages decided to forge a new Blade of Evil's Bane, the Magic Sword. It'd be quite unfortunate, since the Master Sword is awesome, and it "dying" would be actually kind of sad, but I suppose it's a possibility.

NOTE: I am not much of a Timeline Theorist, so if there is a flaw in this possibility, please feel free to rip it to shreds.

?

???

in the adult timeline makes sense since the MS is under the sea in ganons forehead xD

G

ganonlord6000

It is possible that the Magical Sword is the Master Sword. There is no evidence against it, so it can work. I think I even remember reading something a couple of years ago about the MS being in the first 200 copies of the original LOZ and replaces the Magical Swrod in the second quest. Because of that, it wasn't offcially introduced until ALTTP.

LoZ and AoL take place late in the Adult Timeline, and sometime between OoT and LoZ something happened to the Master Sword in a game that hasn't been produced yet. Maybe it was utterly destroyed by Ganon or locked away forever by Ganon, or something. Point is, something happened to the Master Sword and it no longer has the power to repel evil or it isn't accessible

This is very possible, but TWW can be seen as the end of the MS since Hyrule was erased at the end of TWW (at least according the Japanese version). That would include the MS. At the very least, I do support the idea that a new sword emerges on the AT since at the very least, the Master Sword is powerless after TWW.

Anyway, we are forgeting the silver arrows, which I think are very similar to the light arrows

Not that many other than they are both used against Ganon. The Light Arrows can only stun Ganon while the Silver Arrows can kill him.

Someone mentioned here that the magical sword's name wasn't changed in newer versions of LOZ, providing it is the Master Sword. The BS Zelda might be evidence against it as one detail was changed in there (Ganon having the trident), but the GC, GBA, and VC versions of LOZ are direct emulations, and it would be pointless to change the in-game content. The text was changed because the original version wasn't translated very well.

It is possible that the Magical Sword is the Master Sword. There is no evidence against it, so it can work. I think I even remember reading something a couple of years ago about the MS being in the first 200 copies of the original LOZ and replaces the Magical Swrod in the second quest. Because of that, it wasn't offcially introduced until ALTTP.

All the evidence is in my post above. Nintendo had many chances to rename the sword in later releases of the game but did not. The name stayed the Magical Sword, so it obviously was not meant to be the Master Sword then or now.

The second part of your statement isn't true. Even in beta editions of the original LoZ, the name is still the Magical Sword.

This is very possible, but TWW can be seen as the end of the MS since Hyrule was erased at the end of TWW (at least according the Japanese version). That would include the MS. At the very least, I do support the idea that a new sword emerges on the AT since at the very least, the Master Sword is powerless after TWW.

Not that many other than they are both used against Ganon. The Light Arrows can only stun Ganon while the Silver Arrows can kill him.

Someone mentioned here that the magical sword's name wasn't changed in newer versions of LOZ, providing it is the Master Sword. The BS Zelda might be evidence against it as one detail was changed in there (Ganon having the trident), but the GC, GBA, and VC versions of LOZ are direct emulations, and it would be pointless to change the in-game content. The text was changed because the original version wasn't translated very well.[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom