• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legend of Zelda: Combat Evovled

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
We all know combat has evolved in the Legend of Zelda with the Wii Motion Plus, which allows for more of a tactical way of combat, but I want more! The Legend of Zelda has had a simple formula when it came to fighting enemies. You just run and slash any enemy you see. Wouldn't it be cool if it were set up to make battles epic? And give you the ability to more then just simply slash an enemy? Of course it is. Well here are some of my thoughts.

Sniper Arrows and Battles

In Skyward Sword, I want there to be really cool battles to make the game way more fun, combat wise. I want to walk into an area where there's loads of enemies set up in different places and from far, high up, and running towards you. This way you could use your Bow and Arrow a lot more. Almost as if you're using it as a gun to kill those enemies in hard to reach places. (The only game I could recall to do this was Twilight Princess, but I want it to be more hardcore) It was always fun using the Hawk Eye as a sniper!

Then you could see Link quickly switch to his sword and have really cool fights surrounded by lot's of enemies. And have Link use his sword with both hands at times so he could be protected from all the other enemies who slash him from behind.

Bomb+Enemy=Big Fun!!!

Lets talk bombs. Bombs have always sucked in combat in recent Zelda titles. The only use you could find with them were to blow up things that needed to be blown up. In Zelda games, you always have to wait for your bomb to blow up. I WANT MY BOMBS TO BLOW UP NOW!!! So now that we all seen that Skyward Sword has you rolling bombs like a bowling ball, could we possibly roll them into enemies so that they can trip and blow up right there and then? I sure hope so. It'll be so much fun taking out big groups of moblins just by rolling a bomb towards them.

Shield Attacks and Counters

Who here thinks it would be cool to have Link counter enemy attacks and pull off some melee moves? I know I would. As we all know, Link can now sprint. I would love to see Link hold his shield out and sprint towards enemies causing them to fall over, and have Link use his shield as a weapon. Like if he were to have his shield on one hand and punch or simply knock enemies down with the shield. The reason I bring this up is because it has been said that we will find ourselves swordless at some points in Skyward Sword, but I find it kinda lame if all you do is just run from your enemy. I thought Link was brave, what gives?

On to the counter attacks. Skyward Sword should have a counter button, or simply let you deflect an opponent's sword with yours. (This should be very easy to do now that we have the Wii Motion Plus) But when swordless as stated before, he should be able to catch another enemy's blade when swung vertically towards him and push the sword aside or kick the enemy back while disarming it, but when swung horizontal he should be able to duck and the enemy will simply miss him if the player pressed the counter button on time.

Link and the Art of Invisibility

I'm gonna go right ahead and jump back to swordless Link. We've seen Link go Solid Snake before,(as seen in Wind Waker) but it wasn't exactly executed the right way. As we all should know by now, Link will end up with no sword at some points in Skyward Sword, so why not let him go Sam Fisher so he could find his sword. Of course this will be a one time thing, obviously because Skyward Sword isn't a stealth game. I would like to see link stick to the shadows, blow out fires, and do some silent takedowns. I want Link on ledges, ropes, you name it. Picture seeing an enemy scouting around, while you find yourself on higher grounds. What can you possibly do next? How about you try to drop a bomb or a pot right over his head, or jump down on it with your shield under your feet like a skate board crushing the enemy into dust or being in the shadows and grabbing the enemy from the back and stabbing it with a dagger or something.

Link and his Shadow

People are very hopeful for Shadow Link to appear in Skyward Sword. I just happen to be one of those people. Now that the Legend of Zelda has been introduced to the Wii Motion Plus, we will be fighting smarter and more tactical. I think it'll be a great idea to have Shadow Link as a mini boss or a recurring enemy who haunts Link throughout the game and appears at certain points in the game where Link just sees his shadow come to life. Back to the combat. Having the Wii Motion Plus we control the sword with our Wiimote. So the basic idea of this battle will be to try to trick your shadow so that you can get a slash at him, by simply moving your sword around since he will be mimicking your every move and also trying to out wit you when you least expect it.

Well I think that will be it for now. Tell me what you think of my ideas in evolving Link's combat. Do you agree? Disagree? And tell me what you guys would like to see combat wise.

Last edited:
Good Ideas. What I'd like to see Shadow link as would be as a villain in his own right. not a mini boss, not some clone of link, someone with his own ideas and personality, and a body to go with it, not just a shadow. That Dark link would be good. But I doubt he will battle DL, since he's overused.

Sniper Arrows and Battles

In Skyward Sword, I want there to be really cool battles to make the game way more fun, combat wise. I want to walk into an area where there's loads of enemies set up in different places and from far, high up, and running towards you. This way you could use your Bow and Arrow a lot more. Almost as if you're using it as a gun to kill those enemies in hard to reach places. (The only game I could recall to do this was Twilight Princess, but I want it to be more hardcore) It was always fun using the Hawk Eye as a sniper!

Then you could see Link quickly switch to his sword and have really cool fights surrounded by lot's of enemies. And have Link use his sword with both hands at times so he could be protected from all the other enemies who slash him from behind.

We have seen this in both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask to, alongside Twilight Princess. And each game it has been getting much better, Ocarina of Time's wasn't the best because it was too easy. Majora's Mask was great though, as it felt more like a stealth mission, seeing as you had to break into the Gerudo Bay area several times to save some Zora Egg's, and then make your way back out again.

Turo602 said:
Bomb+Enemy=Big Fun!!!

Lets talk bombs. Bombs have always sucked in combat in recent Zelda titles. The only use you could find with them were to blow up things that needed to be blown up. In Zelda games, you always have to wait for your bomb to blow up. I WANT MY BOMBS TO BLOW UP NOW!!! So now that we all seen that Skyward Sword has you rolling bombs like a bowling ball, could we possibly roll them into enemies so that they can trip and blow up right there and then? I sure hope so. It'll be so much fun taking out big groups of moblins just by rolling a bomb towards them.

I'm probably a minority in this, I think that it would make the game much too easy when using the bombs. An example being that it would have made stopping the rolling Goron in Ocarina of Time incredibly easy, instead of being fairly difficult at times. It takes the skill away from the game, although, it doesn't really do a lot to make the game as a whole easier. I'd be more in favour of having a level in which you have to avoid detection of guards on patrol, and could plant the bombs in various locations strategically before setting them off. Kind of like in Batman: Arkham Asylum with the breakable walls. You'd then be able to either slip past or move in for the kill. You idea is good though, I'm just not in favour of being able to chuck a bomb then set it off.

Tur0602 said:
Shield Attacks and Counters

Who here thinks it would be cool to have Link counter enemy attacks and pull off some melee moves? I know I would. As we all know, Link can now sprint. I would love to see Link hold his shield out and sprint towards enemies causing them to fall over, and have Link use his shield as a weapon. Like if he were to have his shield on one hand and punch or simply knock enemies down with the shield. The reason I bring this up is because it has been said that we will find ourselves swordless at some points in Skyward Sword, but I find it kinda lame if all you do is just run from your enemy. I thought Link was brave, what gives?

On to the counter attacks. Skyward Sword should have a counter button, or simply let you deflect an opponent's sword with yours. (This should be very easy to do now that we have the Wii Motion Plus) But when swordless as stated before, he should be able to catch another enemy's blade when swung vertically towards him and push the sword aside or kick the enemy back while disarming it, but when swung horizontal he should be able to duck and the enemy will simply miss him if the player pressed the counter button on time.

I like the idea about the shield attacks, I had the same idea a few months back, like being able to swing the shield around so the large "V" point is facing the same direction as his fist before punching the enemy, I think that would be pretty cool, even though it's never going to happen. The Shield Attack was fairly useful in Twilight Princess, and it didn't work on all enemies either, which was good. So if the idea was to occur again, I think that some enemies should be immune to it. I don't really like the counter idea though. The counter button was something that made Assassin's Creed much easier than if would have been if you could never do that, and I don't want to see anothing thing that makes Zelda any easier, since Nintendo are doing a great job of that themselves. I dislike the idea of Link being able to stop a blade with just his hands to, because it would make me feel like Nintendo were trying to portray Link as the ultimate warrior that no one stands a chance against, even when he is unarmed. It would be like Neo stopping the axe with his hand in (I think) Matrix Reloaded, that was cool because that film was on a different level, where everyone had something that made them epically powerful. Whereas Zelda doesn't. I wouldn't mind Link being able to dodge an attack though, seeing as that it much more realistic.

Turo602 said:
Link and the Art of Invisibility

I'm gonna go right ahead and jump back to swordless Link. We've seen Link go Solid Snake before,(as seen in Wind Waker) but it wasn't exactly executed the right way. As we all should know by now, Link will end up with no sword at some points in Skyward Sword, so why not let him go Sam Fisher so he could find his sword. Of course this will be a one time thing, obviously because Skyward Sword isn't a stealth game. I would like to see link stick to the shadows, blow out fires, and do some silent takedowns. I want Link on ledges, ropes, you name it. Picture seeing an enemy scouting around, while you find yourself on higher grounds. What can you possibly do next? How about you try to drop a bomb or a pot right over his head, or jump down on it with your shield under your feet like a skate board crushing the enemy into dust or being in the shadows and grabbing the enemy from the back and stabbing it with a dagger or something.

I love stealth games, so I wouldn't have a problem seeing this. I would like Zelda games to have a few more sections in which stealth is required. Twilight Princess had it partially, and so did Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but those sections really weren't that great in terms of being stealthy (Except for Majora's Mask Gerudo Bay). I think that it needs to be inside a large building where it is dark though, so you have to stay out of the light or have a possibility of being caught and chased/thrown out, alongside not being able to make a lot of noise. Not sure about the silent takedowns though, it was cool in Arkham Asylum because there were so many ways to do it, whereas Zelda wouldn't be able to match the versatility that Arkham Asylum offered in my opinion. I think that the best thing to do would be to hit the enemy in the back of the head with Link's shield, although that wouldn't be that silent I guess, so you'd have to hide after each take down.

Turo602 said:
Link and his Shadow

People are very hopeful for Shadow Link to appear in Skyward Sword. I just happen to be one of those people. Now that the Legend of Zelda has been introduced to the Wii Motion Plus, we will be fighting smarter and more tactical. I think it'll be a great idea to have Shadow Link as a mini boss or a recurring enemy who haunts Link throughout the game and appears at certain points in the game where Link just sees his shadow come to life. Back to the combat. Having the Wii Motion Plus we control the sword with our Wiimote. So the basic idea of this battle will be to try to trick your shadow so that you can get a slash at him, by simply moving your sword around since he will be mimicking your every move and also trying to out wit you when you least expect it.

Well I think that will be it for now. Tell me what you think of my ideas in evolving Link's combat. Do you agree? Disagree? And tell me what you guys would like to see combat wise.

To be honest, the Dark Link idea would be quite annoying to see again. The difficulty would be great, but Dark Link annoys me in Ocarina of Time because it takes forever to beat him. Although, he's only really hard in that game as he gets more aggressive each time you hit him, or hit his sword. I wouldn't mind seeing it again I suppose, but as I said, it would probably annoy me. It's too much like a button bashing thing at points.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master

This is a cool idea, don't get me wrong, but I just don't know how it'd be pulled off with the slow controls that we've seen of the bow in the game. You'd have to be a freaking amazing shot with a bow for that to even remotely be possible.

Bombs suck in combat in recent Zelda games? :? Odd, they helped me a lot fighting Darknuts in MC and TP as well as beating those annoying Metal Chus in the Ocean Temple.

I like this idea very much and I think it's a very real possibility that we'll see it in the game.

I honestly don't want counterattacks in SS. That would make the game way too easy just like with WW. That'd tip things too much in Link's favor for my taste.

Yes. ...Except for the dagger part. Doesn't seem to fit Zelda. And how would Link get the dagger in the first place?

Agreed 100%.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
We have seen this in both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask to, alongside Twilight Princess. And each game it has been getting much better, Ocarina of Time's wasn't the best because it was too easy. Majora's Mask was great though, as it felt more like a stealth mission, seeing as you had to break into the Gerudo Bay area several times to save some Zora Egg's, and then make your way back out again.

Yeah that's true. But I want it to be way more harder and to happen more frequently. I really do like the idea of being surrounded and having your shield on your back to protect you from enemies behind you and being able to fight using both hands to hold the sword. I really hope they do this.

I'm probably a minority in this, I think that it would make the game much too easy when using the bombs. An example being that it would have made stopping the rolling Goron in Ocarina of Time incredibly easy, instead of being fairly difficult at times. It takes the skill away from the game, although, it doesn't really do a lot to make the game as a whole easier. I'd be more in favour of having a level in which you have to avoid detection of guards on patrol, and could plant the bombs in various locations strategically before setting them off. Kind of like in Batman: Arkham Asylum with the breakable walls. You'd then be able to either slip past or move in for the kill. You idea is good though, I'm just not in favour of being able to chuck a bomb then set it off.

They could always make the enemies tougher and harder, maybe it'll take more then just a bomb or put enemies in much larger groups. After all they are trying to rule the land below. So why not have smarter enemies who act as if they have a plan and strategy themselves.

I like the idea about the shield attacks, I had the same idea a few months back, like being able to swing the shield around so the large "V" point is facing the same direction as his fist before punching the enemy, I think that would be pretty cool, even though it's never going to happen. The Shield Attack was fairly useful in Twilight Princess, and it didn't work on all enemies either, which was good. So if the idea was to occur again, I think that some enemies should be immune to it. I don't really like the counter idea though. The counter button was something that made Assassin's Creed much easier than if would have been if you could never do that, and I don't want to see anothing thing that makes Zelda any easier, since Nintendo are doing a great job of that themselves. I dislike the idea of Link being able to stop a blade with just his hands to, because it would make me feel like Nintendo were trying to portray Link as the ultimate warrior that no one stands a chance against, even when he is unarmed. It would be like Neo stopping the axe with his hand in (I think) Matrix Reloaded, that was cool because that film was on a different level, where everyone had something that made them epically powerful. Whereas Zelda doesn't. I wouldn't mind Link being able to dodge an attack though, seeing as that it much more realistic.

Yeah that's how I envisioned punching with the shield. I think the counter idea is great. Link is a swordsmen, so why doesn't he act like one. I don't really see how it can make the game easy. If Link can counter why not his enemies? I want Skyward Sword to have much harder and smarter enemies. Maybe the whole counter thing could be used for when Link is just swordless, or Nintendo could make it work in a way that the game still remains difficult while being able to counter at all times. I also think it'll be really awesome to see Link catching blades. Hes a hero, you can even say hes a superhero by now. Link is a swordsmen and manages to always beat Ganon in sword fights. It could be a skill he learns throughout the game or something. I just think it makes Link so much cooler and the game more actiony.

By the way, the Matrix is an awesome film series.

I love stealth games, so I wouldn't have a problem seeing this. I would like Zelda games to have a few more sections in which stealth is required. Twilight Princess had it partially, and so did Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but those sections really weren't that great in terms of being stealthy (Except for Majora's Mask Gerudo Bay). I think that it needs to be inside a large building where it is dark though, so you have to stay out of the light or have a possibility of being caught and chased/thrown out, alongside not being able to make a lot of noise. Not sure about the silent takedowns though, it was cool in Arkham Asylum because there were so many ways to do it, whereas Zelda wouldn't be able to match the versatility that Arkham Asylum offered in my opinion. I think that the best thing to do would be to hit the enemy in the back of the head with Link's shield, although that wouldn't be that silent I guess, so you'd have to hide after each take down.

Stealth in a Zelda game is really tricky. It just needs to be executed correctly.

To be honest, the Dark Link idea would be quite annoying to see again. The difficulty would be great, but Dark Link annoys me in Ocarina of Time because it takes forever to beat him. Although, he's only really hard in that game as he gets more aggressive each time you hit him, or hit his sword. I wouldn't mind seeing it again I suppose, but as I said, it would probably annoy me. It's too much like a button bashing thing at points.

Well you did say the game needs to be harder right? So why not have some good ole tactical fights with your own shadow.

This is a cool idea, don't get me wrong, but I just don't know how it'd be pulled off with the slow controls that we've seen of the bow in the game. You'd have to be a freaking amazing shot with a bow for that to even remotely be possible.

Yeah I thought of that too. But let's just hope Nintendo can perfect it.

Bombs suck in combat in recent Zelda games? :? Odd, they helped me a lot fighting Darknuts in MC and TP as well as beating those annoying Metal Chus in the Ocean Temple.

It's probably just me. But I found regular bombs to be very useless in Zelda games when it came to combat.

I like this idea very much and I think it's a very real possibility that we'll see it in the game.

Yeah I sure do hope they let in some melee action in Zelda.

I honestly don't want counterattacks in SS. That would make the game way too easy just like with WW. That'd tip things too much in Link's favor for my taste.

I also find this to be a great gameplay element, and like I said before. They could always make the game hard but still have countering, or simply allow for counters only when swordless. Just think creative. Maybe enemies can counter your counters.

Yes. ...Except for the dagger part. Doesn't seem to fit Zelda. And how would Link get the dagger in the first place?

I feel daggers would be a nice element in Skyward Sword. Maybe being able to use them for takedowns or simply chuck them towards enemies. It fits the back in the day feel of Zelda.

Agreed 100%.

Why thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom