• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Homework Help Thread

I got stuck in this really hard class and I can't get out it's a math/medicine class. I have no freakin' idea what I'm doing and I'm going insane trying to figure it out. Does anyone have any idea of how to do this? or any guesses?

A 4 year old boy has entered the hospital for a severe sinus infection. The doctor has ordered pediatric drops 100 mg p.o. q.8 h for the 40 pound child not to exceed 8 mL per day. From the label: Directions for mixing: Add 12 mL of water. Shake vigorously. There are 15 mL when reconstituted. Each mL will then contain amoxicillin equivalent to 50 mg/mL. The solution will be good for 5 days after mixing if refrigerated.
Show all work and validate your answers.
1. What is the dosage to be given?

2. How many doses are in the mixture?

3. Summary: Reconstitute with _____ mL diluent for a total solution volume of ____ mL and a concentration of ____ mg/mL and give _____mL

4. If the mixture is made today when does the solution expire?

5. Is the dosage safe? Explain.

6. The child is hospitalized for 3 days. How much medication does the child need?

7. How many bottles of mixture should be made?

The child seems to be in pain so the doctor ordered morphine gr 1/30 subcut q.4h p.r.n. for severe pain. The recommended pediatric dosage: 100 to 200 mcg/kg q.4h, up to a maximum of 15 mg/dose.
8. What is the dosage to be given?

9. Is the dosage safe? Explain.

10. The child is only in pain for the first 24 hours of hospitalization. How much medication has been used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom