• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Hobbit!

Haley_Oyo

Winner of Dundies
With the number of LOTR fans I've been noticing here, I was a little surprised that this wasn't a thread already! With the new ''The Hobbit'' film being released in December of this year, I just wanted to start a thread dealing with that.

What does this story and film mean to you? What things have you seen in the trailer that concern or excite you? Also, if you want to share any links, pictures, or information you've discovered concerning this new up and coming movie, feel free to post it! :yes:

For those who haven't gotten around to watching the trailer, check it out!

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOGsB9dORBg

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I am beyond excited for the Hobbit this December. I am an uber Tolkien geek and LOTR fanatic lol. I simply cannot wait for this movie.

I’ve always loved the book, and I can’t wait to see how they adapt it into a two part movie.

Haley_Oyo

Winner of Dundies
If you haven't seen this, I thought it was pretty cool! It's all of the different locations that they shot the movie :)

[video=facebook;10150720773691807]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150720773691807[/video]

I'm ready for the hobbit. The hobbits are currently favorite race, with their little tiny hairy feet X)
I hope this movie has the same magic, the LOTR movies had.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Nothing causes concern for me in the trailer. It looks great and I expect that it will be one of the best films, if not the best film this year.

Majoras_Wrath

Home Grown Hero!
I'm watching LotR:RotK as I type this lol. I've loved this story since I was a young child. I saw the animated movie first, then read the books. This has me very excited. I loved how Jackson translated the books into film and captured almost every amount of epicness out of them. We've seen just about everyone, in the trailer but I'm looking forward to checking out what Smaug looks like. Although I hate waiting for the second part to be released, I'm glad that they're trying to get as much in as possible.

Haley_Oyo

Winner of Dundies
Omg, the animated movie<33 Yes, the story is very close to my heart as well. I remember listening to cassette tapes of the book as a kid to help me fall asleep at night. I am also very interested to see Smaug! I'm sure whatever they do the movie will be amazing, and coming out around Christmas? Perfect.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I don't know about the movie, but I actually liked The Hobbit better then the other LotR books.

The story in the LotR books was a lot better. But it was very poorly presented. In those books he had a very odd writing style and it was extremely convoluted and difficult to follow. It made the books a difficult read for even the most avid book readers. Very important details were only briefly mentioned, but he'd drone on about something trivial that didn't really mean much to the story. The Hobbit, however, had a very simple story, but it was presented in a very straight-forward manner that made it very easy to follow and understand. My only gripe about The Hobbit is how he'd sometimes tell you what was going to happen, before it happened, spoiling a few things for you. Honestly, Tolkien was a rather poor writer, but his stories were great. What this means is that it's one of the rare occasions where the movies exceed the books in quality and are far more preferable. And we can expect the same from the Hobbit. Already we can be certain it is not going to tell you what happens ahead of time, and it will have more in it than the books did. It's going to cover events that happen in the books that are only mentioned in it. And add in Legolas. When the book was written, Legolas as a character wasn't made yet, however the group of elves in the book is the very same group he is from, so given his several thousand year lifespan, it's reasonable to place him in there and you don't hurt anything doing it.

The Hobbit may be my favorite book of all time. I love the Lord of the Rings films, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Hobbit films are also great. I can not wait for them to come out. I see no reason this film will be bad. Call me an optimist.

I am UBER excited for The Hobbit! I love LOTR, so seeing this movie is a MUST for me and my dad. And what's awesome is it's releasing in December, the month I was born!! So it'll be a birthday present to go see it!! WOOT!!! I really enjoy Tolkien's works, so I know this movie will be good.

I'm sufficiently excited for this move but I feel as though dividing The Hobbit into a two part adaptation is not a sound idea. This same execution plan led to disaster with respect to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Cutting off the plot at some random middle point surely builds suspense but featuring the entire narrative in one groundbreaking cinematic film helps build a stronger emotional connection with the characters. The two parts may release a mere year apart, however, I am extremely critical of the decision to do so especially since I believe The Hobbit is a shorter book than the rest of the LOTR series. Also I'm in agreement with Matt that the books are written fairly poorly but the fantasy comes to life in the movies. Moreover Majora's_Wrath, count me in as the second excited to see Smaug on the big screen.

Naga

MUSICALITY!
I read The Hobbit for a 6th fade book report, and sort of cheated on the part where I had to make a map by copying the map in the back of the book.

I may re-read all of the books when I'm older, only because the way Tolkien wrote made me loose focus at certain points. His droning on was helpful for a little insight, by I really like the times where it was more consistent writing and the reading difficulty was more like the Harry Potter books. The thing that puzzles me, though is that my Lexile score (my school does reading proficiency tests and the score you get is called Lexile score cause that's the company who writes the tests) was consistently in the 1300s last school year, which was my seventh grade year. And 1300 is at least tenth grade level. Fellowship of the Ring was rated somewhere in the 800s.

I'm sufficiently excited for this move but I feel as though dividing The Hobbit into a two part adaptation is not a sound idea. This same execution plan led to disaster with respect to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Cutting off the plot at some random middle point surely builds suspense but featuring the entire narrative in one groundbreaking cinematic film helps build a stronger emotional connection with the characters. The two parts may release a mere year apart, however, I am extremely critical of the decision to do so especially since I believe The Hobbit is a shorter book than the rest of the LOTR series. Also I'm in agreement with Matt that the books are written fairly poorly but the fantasy comes to life in the movies. Moreover Majora's_Wrath, count me in as the second excited to see Smaug on the big screen.

Honestly I think every novel that is made into a movie should be split into more than one film. I hate movies that try to cram the story of a novel into one film. I think this is a great idea.

domo

I think my head stopped hurting finally
The hobbit was always my book favorite in LOTR. Me and my father have constantly been talking and waiting for this release, even before we knew it was coming out. We just hoped it would and talked about it. I even re-read the book twice to remember every detail!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom