• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Great Sea

The Great Sea in Wind Waker is massive. But, can it really cover the entire globe? I read a theory somewhere that Link and Tetra sailed the sea and found land where they started a new Hyrule. What are people's thoughts on this?

I also read a theory that the Sea eventually drained due to the Korok's efforts in planting the Deku Tree's seeds. Any thoughts?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The Great Sea in Wind Waker is massive. But, can it really cover the entire globe? I read a theory somewhere that Link and Tetra sailed the sea and found land where they started a new Hyrule. What are people's thoughts on this?

Well, the flood covered the majority of the mountains of Hyrule (which surround the land), so it probably went a little further than just Hyrule. I doubt it covered the whole world.

I also read a theory that the Sea eventually drained due to the Korok's efforts in planting the Deku Tree's seeds. Any thoughts?

No. (As in, no, that didn't happen.)

I always thought that the world of spirit tracks was a continent beyond Hyrule that had not been flooded. However, I don't know where i heard that idea, so it might be wrong.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I've not played Spirit tracks, however a friend told me that at some point it was mentioned that the waters receeded revealing a world covered in the Spirit Tracks which had previously been hidden under the water much like Hyrule. Correct me if I'm wrong there
But you aren't in the actual Hyrule, you're right there. However it seems clear that it was affected by the flood. Whether or not this flood can be said to cover the entire world is uncertain.
No flood is ever mentioned in ST, and there are people on the island who have lived there since well before the flood, so it's evident that the island/continent was not affected.

The entire Great Flood story reminds me a lot of the story of Noah's Ark, in a way. You know, in order to protect/rid the world from evil, the heavens rained down and drowned the lands. Let those whose lives were spared--here's the twist away from the story in the Bible--flee to the mountaintops that became islands. However, the ocean didn't drain during the events of The Wind Waker. That isn't to say it never drained as you don't see anything of the Great Sea after Phantom Hourglass.

Though, I do think the Great Sea's water levels should have been dramatically lowered after Daphnes made the wish for the waters to drench the rest of Hyrule that was preserved beneath the waves. Water has a definite volume, so the logic in that is kind of absent. Though, I do recall that in A Link to the Past, that it was stated by the "essence of the Triforce", a spirit who acknowledges you as a hero after you defeat Ganon, said this *shuffles through ZD's text dump*:
The Triforce will grant the wishes in the heart and mind of the person who touches it. If a person with a good heart touches it, it will make his good wishes come true... If an evil-hearted person touches it, it grants his evil wishes. The stronger the wish, the more powerful the Triforce's expression of that wish. Ganon's wish was to conquer the world. That wish changed the Golden Land into the Dark World. After building up his power, Ganon planned to go on to the Light World to fulfill his wish. But now that Ganon has been destroyed, his Dark World will surely vanish. The Triforce is waiting for a new master. Its Golden Power is in your hands...Now, touch it and think of the wish in your heart.
Analyzing that, I'd say that once the one who wishes upon the Triforce is lost in some way, the wish is reverted. So, the water level of the Great Sea perhaps did lower during the final battle, but after Link and Zelda leave the now flooded Hyrule, Daphnes is left to drown--and when the life leaves him, does Hyrule become dry once again? It's such a complicated concept with everything that goes on in all of these games. The most-annoying part for me is that the land of Hyrule is covered in water from the Great Flood, but somehow, there is an air pocket that preserves Hyrule Castle and allows it to remain dry.

I suck at developing theories for these things... So, I really don't know. I don't think the flood would cover the entire world that is seen in the Zelda games, because is it ever-changing and we probably haven't seen most of it. I mean, we don't even know where New Hyrule is in relation with the Great Sea, so... that proves that we can't even say how much of their world we haven't seen. But, anyways... another story The Wind Waker reminded me of... the Lost Kingdom of Atlantis. Maybe instead of the world being flooded, Hyrule just... sank? I really don't know what to say. Nintendo's goal is to confuse people. ;s

The reason Hyrule was dry was because of magic, plain and simple, thinking anything else will only give you a headache and there isn't a logical explanation. Perhaps eventually the Great Sea would recede, but as far as it receding in a short amount of time... I find it doubtful. Daphnes wished the land be covered forever, whether it does or not, we'll probably never find out.

Link and Tetra do indeed find a land and decide to settle there, which they call New Hyrule, and going by it's history, there were definitely people there a long time seeing as they find and utilize the Spirit Tracks that already exist there. It is safe to say that the entire world was not affected by the flood, but just mostly Hyrule.

Many times, when in games like this, one has to remember that most of what's going on is caused by magic in some form or fashion. Trying to put logical reasoning to EVERYTHING in the Zelda universe just isn't going to work.

Yerrp the invisible walls that surround hyrule made by the gods( developers) prevent the flood from venturing beyond its borders.

By playing SS it is clear that the going back in time is similar to Wind Waker. That clarifies that it is in the past, and that the new hyrule established does not come for a while

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
I read a theory somewhere that Link and Tetra sailed the sea and found land where they started a new Hyrule.
That's not a theory. It happened.

The flood only covered Hyrule because Ganondorf rose again and there was no hero to stop him.

Once Ganon was defeated there was no longer a threat and so the waters were not needed and eventually receeded.

But didn't the King of the Red Lions wish on the Triforce to keep Hyrule flooded?

^ both of what Ninten says are true, and proven facts.

Though just because Hyrule stays flooded, doesn't mean the water can't recede. That said, at least by the time Spirit Tracks occurs, that is not the case; it's still an ocean.

And it's impossible that the flood was not something that affected the entire world. Water can't be so high in one place and not in the other unless something blocks the flow or there isn't enough water (and if that were the case, then the water level would be low enough to cover all the areas the same). The Great Sea reaches mountaintops. Unless there's a massive mountain range that totally rings Hyrule and is higher than the sea level, then it covers the entire world.

S

ShadowZone1996

The Great Sea isn't the entire world. Link and Tetra found the land somewhere else.

S

shiningravion2

ShadowZone1996 is correct. In WW the king asks you to find a new land. In PH tetra and link are in search of new land and they get delayed. And in ST they've already created new Hyrule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom