• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Good Ol' Times

Someone from another site called Zelda Temple, recently made a thread called the Good Ol' Times. I thought so much of it, and I care about the topic so much, I decided to make a thread about it here, to see what responses I would get.

The name of the game is, what do you miss about the younger years? Your childhood? Everything you loved, or may not have loved. Here's what I think:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I miss everything. I miss everything that ever happened in my childhood, because those truly were the greatest years of my life, and I can really see why.

What happened to the TV Shows? You guys are already complaining about them. If you go to....Wikipedia, and look at Nick, or Cartoon Network or hell Disney channel, and see from the early 90's to now, the tv shows that took place, you would see something truly saddening. They got progressively worse. Like everything did. You went from the good old days when Pokemon used to mean something. I'm not saying it doesn't mean anything now, but it just doesn't have that same spark it used to. Or Yu-gi-oh. If you watch the first season, from the beginning until the end of Pegasus, and then the last season that's been on of GX or whatever, you would chose the first season. I don't think anyone wouldn't.

The TV shows like everything else, got worse. I used to think it was just because I was getting older. You know, the, you get tired of things that you loved in your childhood, but now I see that's complete crap. Miley Cyrus....Hannah Montana....shows about talking cows? If I ever have any kids, I swear I will refuse to let them watch any shows from the late 2000's. I will not stand for it.

The movies. I just re watched the Lion King on youtube yesterday, and it just reminded me of how great of a movie it was. You watch that movie, you love it, the characters, the songs, you want to watch it over and over again. What now? What became of Disney, the whole movie system that was so great back in the 90's? Nothing. It became nothing. Now all Disney does is make movies just to make profit. I see the time period of kind of the reign of Michael Eisner. You remember him? I thought he was great. He was that person that brought the movies.

Did you ever on Saturday nights, go on ABC and see a Disney movie on? That happened every Saturday night. It died with Eisner. And I miss it. And, what now of today's movies? What have they become? It seems like simply the old drawn out stories. The, love story that gets repeated over and over. The horror movie that gets repeated over and over. I see it as, you're now paying 8+ bucks for a ticket alone, to see the same thing again and again. This is why I rarely see movies anymore. What's the point?

Do you remember the Pokemon Movies? Do you really? Do you remember when that first movie came out, and after seeing it, you loved the series even more? Hell, even a Pokemon movie could flat out beat most of today's movies. Do you remember Saturday mornings? How, they had all the good shows on Kids WB? Batman, Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, everything. That died too.

This next bit might be just me, but it could be not.

As a kid, I see one thing, that lets you truly have the best time of your life. You just didn't have a care. Life was good, you went with the flow. Every time was a happy time. I hardly remember any school whatsoever, and if I do, it was a good time with friends, or pounding the nails into a stump of tree that my K5 teacher had, or playing with blocks, or building puzzles, or playing on the Jungle Gym set. And then came summer. It was always most days going to a waterpark, or going to a roller coaster park or riding down all the streets on your bike, or sliding down the slides. Nobody punished you for anything in those younger years, because you were a kid. You did not know your actions yet, and you were free to get away with a lot of things. Now in life you have all the pressure of jobs, school isn't fun anymore, you don't go to the fun waterparks or roller coaster parks as much anymore, and now you have the feelings of hate, jealousy, anger, sadness. Life sometimes is just too hard to deal with. I miss those care free times when life was just a fun ride that never seemed to end. And I never thought it would.

Do you remember the games? The playing Pokemon all day long. The going on the long car trips that weren't that bad, and all you did was just sit on your gameboy and beat the crap out of a Dragonite with Pikachu? Or maybe your game was Mario. And all you played was Super Mario World. Hopping around on your SNES with Yoshi, eating everything in sight. Or maybe, you were brought into Zelda at a younger age and all you played all day long was Ocarina of Time because you were obsessed with it. Games seem to have died for me. I no longer have the extreme urge to play every game and play those games over and over. Plus, there isn't as much good as there used to be. I think the last time I bought an actual game, was Phantom Hourglass almost a year ago. And if I did buy something else, hell it wasn't important enough to remember. Game companies, yes, even Nintendo, just don't seem to be making those good games anymore. With Nintendo sure it's more noticeable now, what with everyone complaining about it, and all that ever comes out anymore is the cooking games, or Wii Fit or Nintendogs.

Childhood to me, was something that allowed me to have a good time, all day long every day. From when I woke up, until I went to sleep, I went everywhere that my mother and sister went, and we went to some pretty good places. It saddens me, because I know that I can never have back those feelings of just plain happiness that I did when I was a child. You think those times will never end, but sadly they do, and I was just too late to realize it, and make more of the time I had with everything I loved.

Let's see what you went through in your childhood years.

Dabombster

Do the thing
Site Staff
I shall just copy my rant as well then...

----------------------------------------------------------------
Do you remember when life was easy? When we didn't have a care in the world and would do what we wanted without thinking about what would happen to us later? Back when we actually liked school to learn, rather than for the people. Back when we enjoyed life, rather than just trying to make it in the world.

Yesterday I laid in the grass at my old high school with a friend and pondered these thoughts. Wondered how life would be different if I had followed a different path and hadn't done some of the things that I have. I thought back to elementary school, when there were few rules and we still had recess. I got in so many fights back then that I almost always had a fat lip, black-eye, or a bloody nose. I remember playing kickball and basketball on the playground and being picked last because I didn't know what I was doing and broke most of the rules of the sport.

I remember walking to and from school without caring because my parents had to work. I remember not caring about new clothes or shoes, or even what I looked like when I went to school. I remember when simple things like flying a kite would entertain me for hours on end, and when launching a rocket used to be fun and exciting.

I used to play in my backyard all the time on the trampoline. It didn't matter what. We'd invent new games and play them anyway, and it was always fun. Back when going to Chuck E Cheese's was what the cool kids in school did and when having a nice house meant your parents had two couches.

What happened to these times? Where did they go? Now life is about working, and going to school in order to make a living someday instead of to have some fun. Things don't entertain us like they used to. I could be entertained by video games for hours on end. Now, I'm lucky if they give me an hour of entertainment in a day.

I remember when going to the movies meant planning a couple hours ahead of time so we could walk down there and catch the show we wanted. Not call someone twenty minutes before and seeing if they're busy. When watching TV consisted of hours and hours of Cartoons. I used to get up early on Saturday Mornings and watch KidsWB until my parents forced me outside. How many of you can honestly say you remember watching the old Sonic Cartoons on TV?

I remember when musical talent involved being able to play 'Mary Had A Little Lamb' on the piano, or some song on your recorder that you got from school. Now everyone thinks they're a badass if they can play the guitar, which is quite easy to learn anyway. I remember when my parents used to take me around on Halloween to get the candy, not me sitting at home handing it out. When Christmas always brought good presents because everything was interesting. Now if you don't get what you want, you're very disappointed.

Why did these days escape us? Why couldn't we just hold onto them and never let them go? We work to live, and live to work, instead of enjoying the precious time we get here. Do you remember when life was easy?

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I miss everything, of course. Who doesn't? The time in the past is time gone that you wont ever gain again in this lifetime, so my advice to you peeps is to live every day of your life as if it was your last day on this earth. Spend it gladly with your friends, family, relatives, etc.

Time is ticking by every second, minute, hour, day, month, year of our lives, we die each passing day, and so enjoy your time while you are very well much alive. It all abruptly ends when one must depart from this world.

So you might know by now that I am not that good of a long-post type of poster, I miss everything I have already lived, because I will never see those times/events again.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I definitely miss all of that. But I also look forward to the future. I don't want to get old, though :P

But the old time TV shows were better before Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh. Those were the glory days. Cartoon Network was awesome!

I totally hear you on the old TV shows. Bring back Cardcaptor Sakura!! That was my all-time favourite show as a kid. Ah, yes, and I did enjoy the old Yu-Gi-Oh!. Good thing the manga's at my school library. Heh, I have the Lion King on video, and I used to watch it...pretty much every single day. But, getting back on track, cartoons just aren't as good as they once were.

I do miss my carefree childhood days sometimes. Mine were especially so, because I was homeschooled. When you were a kid and you were at school (assuming you were at that age), could YOU attend wearing pyjamas and spend your lunchbreak playing Ocarina of Time? Some days I didn't even do school work. I never worried what anyone thought about me; I just did what I wanted to do. There was no pressure, no worrying about how well you did on a test or assignment, no worrying about the future, just days upon days of toys and fun.

But growing up has it's advantages, too. An increase in responsibility also means an increase in what you are allowed to do. There are more movies you can watch, more games you can play, you can stay up later and you can browse the internet more freely. You can also make more choices for yourself, like the clothes you wear.

So, whilst sometimes I long for the trouble-free days of old, I have to say, I prefer the life I have now. Now, I go to school, I have a great bunch of friends, and I'm just generally enjoying what I've got. I agree with what Tetra said. I miss everything too, because I will never experience it again. But when the next event rolls around, I'm gonna enjoy every minute of it, just like I've done with everything in the past. Live in the present. It's the only way to fully enjoy life.

End inspirational speech.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Ah, yes, I find this kind of funny that I was just thinking about this the other day.

Yes, I truly miss the good old days. The tv shows back then were awesome and made you actually look forward to watching them. I remember when I was younger that I looked forward to the weekend after a long grueling week of school (what kid doesn't?) just to wake up early Saturday morning to watch cartoons until noon.

I also remember the feeling that I had when I played a video game on the weekends and on the summer holidays when I was a kid. Just like with the Saturday morning cartoons, I looked forward to playing those games when I walked up to the game system on those days. Nowadays, I do play games but they don't give me that same excitement as they did when I was a kid. Games such as MM and ALttP (the only two Zelda games that I owned back then) immersed me into a world that seemed like it was actually alive to me. Games (especially the latest Zelda games) that have come out recently don't give me that same feeling as those two games did. The games now just feel like they just slapped things together and put on the shelves saying, "Here ya go. Enjoy. :)" (Hear the sarcasm?)

I miss other things from my childhood other than those things, but those are two big things. I sometimes find myself thinking back to those days and wishing that I could go back in time and enjoy those days just once more for old times' sake. But sadly I cannot. :(

Last edited:

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I don't miss the "good ol' times" that much because, really, they weren't so good. Not for me, anyway. I can say, though, that I do miss being able to play a videogame for hours and hours. Now, there just isn't any time. I miss not having to pay bills and worry about meeting deadlines. I also miss not having any chores, haha.

Other than that, though, I'm glad my childhood years are gone. They weren't very enjoyable for me, and I'm much happier being an adult in control of my own life, doing what I want they way I want. I can go to bed when I want, I can buy what I want, I can eat what I want. I think enjoying these fantastic times is much better than missing the past. :)

Zarom

The King
I really miss the ''Good Ol' Times''. TV Shows and games were really great at that time. I remember playing Mario with my whole family at that time, playing Zelda all day long and playing Pokemon everywhere on my GBC. Today's games are only about graphics.

I really wish I could go back in that time, in my childood, when you had no worries about anything and you were always having good times with friends and family.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I miss many things about my childhood. Even now, I will occassionally do something that one might call 'childish' simply because I try to relive those times. :P

But I miss not having any responsibilities. Not having a care in the world about things was nice. There were never issues with money. Never issues with work. Never issues about the future.
You were free to use your imagination. I find that if you were to do that now, you would be looked down upon. What if I want to pretend I'm going on an epic adventure?
Friends were much easier then. If you got mad at someone, you were over it by the next day.
There were, of course, also the TV shows. There were so many that I watched. The were amazing. I watched part of this one show that's meant for kids/young teens the other day. I could see why they might like it, but compared to what I used to watch, it wasn't the same.

And maybe one of the biggest things I miss - much to the dismay of many people on here. :P - are the times before everyone was addicted to computers and video games. I still liked the things, but I didn't really feel like I always needed to be on there. Unfortunately that started at a young age for me, but I still loved to go outside. I still do. It's just so hard to find others that do as well.

I'm still a kid at heart. What can I say?

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I really miss the good old days. No cleaning your room, no cleaning up the table after dinner and playing with lego all day. You were free to let your imagination go wild even if that meant you and friends were pretending to be talking sharks in the swimming pool. There was no school pressure and the TV shows were super awesome most of the time. I was glued to the screen when a show like pokemon or shinzo was on tv. Kids TV nowadays is just stupid. Even the Beetleborgs are much more awesome than boring shows like Hannah Montana. I don't know what happened to Disney, but since they turned to computer animation films (except for the Pixar films) something went completly wrong.

Well, that was my sort of rant for now. I can talk much longer about awesome old day stuff like Lego or my cousins Action Man dolls (they were so much cooler than Barbie :O), but I have to finish my essay now....yay -.-

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Aahh, the good Ol' times. I think I'm too young to say this, but I'm already a high school sophomore, so I think I qualify. Yes, I remember the good ol' times. I remember the old Disney Channel. I would wake up at 5:30 AM to watch Bill Nye the Science Guy when it came on Disney. Then, they did some thing where they made the channel look like what it does today, and took off a lot of its game shows and shows. I also remember some of the semi-old Nickelodeon shows. Shows like Cat-Dog, the "old" Fairly Odd Parents, the "old" Spongebob Squarepants, and all of the shows/episodes they don't show anymore on there. I wasn't on Cartoon Network for a really long time, but I enjoyed Ed, Edd, and Eddy, a little bit of Johnny Bravo, Codename: Kids Next Door, and season one of Pokemon.

Now, for gaming. I enjoyed the era where things like blood, gore, and graphics didn't matter. I enjoyed when artstyle mattered more than graphics. I enjoyed it when fun was better than visuals. I also loved when plot and gameplay, as well as the amount of fun, mattered more how it looked. I'm, in all actuality, an oldschool gamer!

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
On my childhood... there are things that I miss and things that I don't miss. Honestly, when I look back on it, I did have it fairly rough. My parents were loving, I had a good home - I was just crazy and no one had any idea what was wrong with me, a condition I only really learned of and got treated in my adult life. I was made fun of, tormented by the kids at school. I was very concerned with this, always hoping that somehow things would be forgotten and would get better when I made high school (they didn't). I was the kid other kids liked to tease and insult and get a rise out of constantly. More than once, I thought about dying or just wandering off into the desert, never to return. I was even taken to a child pyschologist, but he didn't do much. I remained a troubled child. I was intelligent, did very well with actual school work, it was in the social strata that I had trouble. Perhaps my intelligence even made it worse (everyone loves picking on the nerd).

There are things I miss, though, a lot. One of them is having the future open to me. I'm 30 now, it's still open, as a quote in my favorite anime says "The ticket to the future is always open." Still, it's less open than it was before - and even if I somehow became a success in life of the kind I could rub in the faces of all those people who once tormented me - it would be a hollow victory - I don't care as much about it now as I did as a kid. I've realized that life is hard for everybody and that intelligence, talent and even hard work doesn't always matter to success in the end.

I miss... being on my parents' health insurance and not worrying if I got sick. Mom and Dad would take me to the doctor and he would give me something to help me feel better. As it is now, I'm in a position that if I get sick, I pretty much have to tough it out. I won't get into my politics here, though - I just miss being taken care of... and Mom making me chicken soup...

I miss... I really miss... the togetherness my extended family used to have. Every major holiday, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, and every summer for two weeks, my family would get together in a big lump - uncles, aunts, cousins and be together and have fun. I used to love playing with my cousins. My family's cohesiveness died with my grandmother, the matriarch, when I was about 20 (she was 82). She was the keystone that held us all together and when she passed, my family began drifting apart. Look at me - I'm 3,000 miles away from all of them now.

I miss the way Friday afternoons used to feel when I was a kid. I'd get off school, play with the neighbor-girl/my friend or ride my bike around my neighborhood by myself and know that I didn't have to do any of my homework until Sunday. It was this feeling of freedom that was just wonderful.

I miss some of my old cartoons, but have since found them downloadable in the modern age.

Bob Majinki

Deku Director
I miss the pre-9/11 days. Obvious reasons why.

As for something less depressing, I miss old children's playgrounds. Every playground of my childhood was deemed "unsafe" and demolished. The new playgrounds have nothing that can inspire joy and creativity in the hearts and minds of the children.

midnightokami

Can I has cheese burger?
I remember the good ol' times.

As a kid you can express yourself any way you want and people won't think you're weird, cause your just a kid! Adults knew that kids weren't ready for the real world yet so you could cry all you want when your sad and adults won't say "suck it up" or some kind of other thing. Now adults will tell you that being sad is part of life and you have to endure it or hide it cause its weak.

Also early elementary school when fashion and popularity wasn't important, now teenagers think not being their self and wearing expansive clothes from the mall is the only way to fit in. (I think its all garbage, I think life is too short to be worrying about being popular or being depressed about not fitting in.)

And also playing with friends that treat you nicely and accepted you for who you are. In the beginning of middle school I lost nearly all my friends, and why? For being MYSELF. I treated my friends how I want to be treated, and yet they abounded me with out with out any feelings, cause I was one of the "uncool goth/tom boy/emo loner looking kid." (Seriously, I have no freaking label, the only label I have is MYSELF!)
I'm just going to end this post for now since I'm going to go off topic if I continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom