• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Fatigue Meter; Too Much?

What do you think about this Fatigue Meter?

• It's being overused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like it at all.

• I don't care.

• I don't really notice it.

• They should make an upgrade to his stamina.

• Total voters

Agent Spaghetti

Advanced Noodle
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is implementing a lot of new ideas to the Zelda franchise. One of this implementations is the Fatigue Meter. For those who don't know, the fatigue meter is a dial-based meter that will drain when Link exerts too much energy. From what we've seen, this will apply to Dashing, Climbing Walls, Pushing Blocks, and when Link executes more complex moves. This is probably not going to be all it will be used for, though.
From Skyward Sword's introduction at E3 2010, to E3 2011, my perspective on this has changed. In 2010, I was excited and I thought this was a great idea and a really nice touch to the gameplay. But in 2011, I now see that it is going to disrupt combat and even the classic pushing-the-block. When Link preforms his Spin Attack, about 1/3 of the meter is exhausted, and one push of the block takes around 1/8 of the meter, and from what I remember, I pushed a block around a lot more than that. Dashing and Wall Climbing seem a little more reasonable, but the meter is still depleted rather quickly. This fast consumption of his stamina is kind of making him look like a wimp. If you ask me, it seems like they're overdoing way too much; it depletes far too quickly, and I'm surprised they went as far as applying it to moving a block. If they were to add some kind of upgrade to his stamina, then I really wouldn't mind, but for now, it's kind of disappointing. What do you think? Are they overdoing it, or is it really not that much of a problem? Please post your thoughts and comments.

Last edited:

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
i agree with Azure, it makes the game feel more... real. why do you think they're using the Wii Motion Plus, to make it real. they want you to be even more of a "Link"ed into the game, and what batter way than to make it feel real. normal people get tired...
that reminds me, i wonder if Link will start out sleeping. i mean, he does in every other game (except the first two games).. haha, off-topic.

I agree with Azure as well. They should allow you to increase your stamina over time, though.

The increase in stamina might break into the realm of an RPG, which could be a double-edge sword, as many might would disapprove...as oddly as it seems...so yeah.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
Is there an "I like it" option? People have been asking for difficulty and realistic combat in Zelda for a long time, and now here we have it.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
I don't really like it. Stamina is one of the things I don't like because I like to swim around in water for a long time without having to be careful I don't sink. Or when you are climbing a vine and you run out of Stamina you fall, stuff like that is kind of annoying. I also hope it doesn't make pushing blocks around more time consuming, because in previous games it does take him awhile to push blocks. I guess it does use some realism I just hope they were smart about how the implemented it into the game. Just like I hope the Wii Moition Plus isn't overused, I want it to be a used here in there were it makes sense, not implemented in a silly way.

Is there an "I like it" option? People have been asking for difficulty and realistic combat in Zelda for a long time, and now here we have it.
As he said, is there an "I like it option" option? unlike some people i think it will add more challenge to the game. I love the fact that link is limited this time around, and he can actually run really fast when he wants to. The whole climbing up walls thing might get frustrating but it gives a more realistic approach to link's movements. Of couse someone will get tired while climbing up a wall or swinging a sword to violently so why not link. Link is supposed to be a link between the player and the game and when you get tired link should get tired.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I agree with Destiny. I've been complaining about the Stamina Meter for a long time, because I was afraid it was going to be like this. It seems that my fears have been confirmed, and the Stamina Meter WILL interfere with the game enough to be a serious problem.

It seems that practically everything Link can do will cost him energy, and it probably won't replenish as quickly as I would like, either. It will make playing the game an arduous chore, having to sit around and wait for the meter to refill periodically. Especially when enemies are coming at you, and you have to alternate between dodging, waiting, and attacking.

So not only do you have to use the sword in a skilled way to bring down enemies, you only have a limited window in which to figure out and execute the attacks correctly before Link runs out of energy.

The fact that the stamina meter will apply to tasks such as moving blocks, indicates to me that it goes beyond the level of adding challenge, to simply being annoying, forcing you to wait around for it to refill in situations where it is simply an inconvenience rather than a meaningful obstacle.

I do not like this feature, and it may break the game for me. Chances are that I will try to play it anyway, but I will probably hate this game so much that I'll only play through it once, and then sell it. Depending on how frustrated I get, I might not even manage that.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
^I seriously, seriously doubt it's going to be that disruptive. You're going to the point of being unreasonably negative.

There are no block puzzles in the game, and in moments when you need to use blocks to get up on higher places I doubt you need to push these blocks such high distances.
And in other moments where the stamina feature is included, you can regain stamina very easily or find different ways to conserve it. When climbing up a wall you can leap vine to vine to conserve stamina. When dashing you can dash short distances to conserve energy. Really, this isn't much of a problem as people are making it out to be.

Agent Spaghetti

Advanced Noodle
^I seriously, seriously doubt it's going to be that disruptive. You're going to the point of being unreasonably negative.

There are no block puzzles in the game, and in moments when you need to use blocks to get up on higher places I doubt you need to push these blocks such high distances.
And in other moments where the stamina feature is included, you can regain stamina very easily or find different ways to conserve it. When climbing up a wall you can leap vine to vine to conserve stamina. When dashing you can dash short distances to conserve energy. Really, this isn't much of a problem as people are making it out to be.

I get what your saying, but it can still get in the way and be pretty annoying.

And I also agree with everyone saying it will add that sense of realism. When I first heard about it last year, I loved it, but now it just seems a little overdone to me.

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker

Well, I haven’t exactly been keeping up like crazy with Skyward Sword, since I probably won’t get to play it for a while, but where did they say there won’t be any block puzzles? Just wondering, since I'm going to be mentioning them.

Anyway, for me it depends on how well they implement it. In particular I think it could work really well if the limitations it gives the player don't come off as pointless. By pointless, I'm referring to there being, say, one block in a room just too far from the wall, no timer or anything, and since you just ran out of stamina you've got to stand around for 10 seconds to get some back. This doesn't really do much besides add 10 seconds of waiting to the gameplay. (Granted that could have been the price you paid for fighting a monster to clear the room or something, which is more acceptable.)

Now, if this were implemented in a puzzle sense, that you've got to finish the block puzzle in x moves before your stamina runs out, then it would add challenge. But that depends on how you replenish it as well. Can you only replenish it in Skyloft? Do you replenish it by standing around doing nothing? Or eating stuff/drinking potion? A combination? Even if you just have to stand around to replenish, if you must push the blocks within a certain amount of time and the stamina meter adds the element of moves that could be challenging.

I think for combat purposes it will probably work out fine, I'm not too concerned in that area. I think if it's balanced correctly, which I would expect from Nintendo, it'll add to the combat. Whether or not this happens, if Link can increase the stamina meter over the course of the game then it'll be a bonus, since you could make it more difficult by avoiding said increase on a minimalist challenge. (If it would be avoidable.)

For dashing, swimming, and the like, it might be a problem if it’s not balanced, but I expect Nintendo to handle it well. If they don’t, well, then I’ll be complaining later. :P Overall, I’m not too concerned, and I think the stamina meter could easily add to the gameplay if implemented right, and Nintendo being the good dev they are, I trust they won't botch it horribly.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
zeldauniverse.net said:
If you liked all of the vine-climbing in Twilight Princess, don’t get used to the way it works – in Skyward Sword Link no longer has the ability to endlessly cling to vines and walls. As Link climbs onto vines, a circular meter appears showing Link’s remaining strength. After the meter runs out, Link will lose his grip on the vines and plummet to the ground. This applies to any of Link’s usual tricks that consume a bunch of stamina. In the final game, this may not be limited to just running and climbing.
what they're saying is they want to make this game feel as real as possible. The block moving doesn't deplete the Stamina, as far as i'm aware... it's just Running, Climbing, Spin Attacks... and i think that's it. but, regardless, i've said it before and i'll say it again, they want this game to feel real.. that's why i love the Wii Motion Plus, you're actually moving, you're not just lazily wiggling the Wii-Mote to swing the sword.

Realism people... c'mon, get with it!!! ^^

Agent Spaghetti

Advanced Noodle
what they're saying is they want to make this game feel as real as possible. The block moving doesn't deplete the Stamina, as far as i'm aware... it's just Running, Climbing, Spin Attacks... and i think that's it. but, regardless, i've said it before and i'll say it again, they want this game to feel real.. that's why i love the Wii Motion Plus, you're actually moving, you're not just lazily wiggling the Wii-Mote to swing the sword.

Realism people... c'mon, get with it!!! ^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiB_zmJfl00 Watch 9:18. Pushing blocks will drain stamina. And seriously, I'm not sure if realism is going to go along in here. If this were real, and I were to jump off cliffs that Link does, I'd break a lot of bones, even if I did roll when I landed.

Who says the water-stamina meter is for swimming? Anyone thought of diving, like in OoT?
Seems much more plausible, since just running doesn't deplete stamina, only dashing. So why would just swimming deplete stamina?

I like it. It makes the game challenging and makes you use your brain to think of ways on doing things without loosing all your stamina, its creative and sounds like fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom