• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OoT-3DS The Deku Tree

Are kid dungeons wastes?

• :fairy:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • :fairy: :fairy:

• :fairy: :fairy: :fairy:

• :fairy: :fairy: :fairy: :fairy:

• :fairy: :fairy: :fairy: :fairy: :fairy:

• Total voters

TNinja

Of the Gorons
I like the first dungeon, it was fun and simple, which is good for a first dungeon. I also liked the third dungeon because of the boomerang which is my favorite weapon

R

Raptr4

No, only because newbies need to get the hang of "Zelda" so they can get interested.

B

Blacksorrow24

I really didn't like Inside the Deku Tree, but I liked Dodongo's cavern, and Inside Jabu Jabu's belly was okay...

I don't think they are a waste...They are supposed to be easy at first...Well maybe they could be a little bit more harder...But it's still great!!! If they weren't there then the game would be shorter...which wouldn't be a good thing...

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I love both the first two kid dungeons, I'm not too fond of Jabu-Jabu's belly, mainly because I think fish and sealife creatures are boring... lol

The only one I would complain is Inside the Deku Tree and inside Jabu Jabu. The Deku Tree because it really was quite pointless since the Deku Tree gave you the… er…*thing… forgot its name… After you came out of him. Jabu Jabu because it was such a pain of a dungeon, and it was quite lengthy. Not that I hate lengthy dungeon, it's just as a kid it was quite annoying. And don't get me started about Ruto. :P

S

ShinyFlitwick

Just the Great Deku Tree. It's a tutorial dungeon: good for the first playthrough and total beginners, but a waste of time for the second playthrough or expert players.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
The Great Deku Tree, and every other "Tutoral Dungeon" are essential to the game. It might not be essential for Zelda veterans like myself, but it is for new players. How would you feel if when you where playing a Zelda game for the first time and you had no idea what to do because there was no 'tutoral Dungeon". You might even get upset and quit the game, and that's no good.

YoshiFlame

Businessman of Legend
I didn't think they were that much of a waste, but for me, the story doesn't pick up until you beat all three of them.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd rather have the Deku Tree (which is approximately 5-10 minutes from the moment you control Link) than have to deal with four hours straight of tutorials and then some for unskippable cutscenes. Sure, Deku Tree is easy. But it's an interactive, fun "tutorial" in my own experience.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
While I applaud your creative use of the poll options by turning it into a graphical rating system (seriously, I didn't even know you could put emoticons in there), I think that your poll would have been much clearer and more useful had you used verbal descriptions of what each option meant, rather than increasing numbers of fairies.

Anyway, that aside, I do not feel that the child dungeons were a waste of time. You have to remember that for many people, Ocarina of Time was their first Zelda game. As such, the initial dungeons are more like a tutorial. Thrusting someone into the Forest Temple right away, with no clue what they were doing, would have been horrible game design in my opinion.

In fact, the child dungeons do increase in difficulty as time goes on. In the Deku Tree, you learn about the most basic mechanics, lighting torches, rolling, opening doors, burning away webs, etc. In Dodongo's Cavern, you learn about how to deal with fire-based enemies, bombs, attacking weak points, looking for hidden stuff, and slightly more complex puzzle solving.

In Jabu-Jabu's Belly... that's when things get a little more complex. You get punished with damage for attacking enemies at the wrong time, you have to identify strange looking switches, figure out the connection between the barriers and the tentacles, beat a timed room with several bubbles, and beat a boss that requires constant movement and a strategy. You also have to carry Ruto around to help you reach your goals, which is a new twist. I would argue that this dungeon is as hard or harder than any Adult dungeon, because of the innovative use of the boomerang puzzles and the need to carry Ruto around to use as a weight. No other dungeon in the game requires those things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom