• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time The Cave of Ordeals in 3D OoT

The cave of ordeals has proven to be an interestng concept. You figh through hordes of enemies with increasing difficulty while you try to survive with no recovery hearts. I like to do this, because Zelda focuses on exploration, not on combat (there is a lot of combat, but Zelda is more about exploration and puzzle resolving); and this gives you the chance to have fun while you solely focus on killing things. Now that many Zelda titles have began to employ this sidequest, what about if OoT had it aswell? Somewhere hidden, where you would never look or expect? This would be a very cool sidequest to have and it would not affect the story nor the core gameplay.

Eiji has said that he plans to add some new elements to the game. That's why I think they should add this new sidequest to the remake.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
Endurance dungeons are indeed awesome. I think that OOT could really gain something from having one.
Unfortunately I don't think that they will have on. I expect that the only major changes will be involving items/inventory.

Not sure about OoT3DS, but maybe or probably, rather. BUT what I can 100% Guarantee you is that Skyward Sword WILL have an endurance dungeon of some sort much like the Cave of Ordeals ( Which I beat 7 times btw I loved it), since Aonuma said they are heavily focusing on the swordplay and combat. My guess is that it will probably be in the OoT remake, but I'm definitely looking forward to the Skyward Sword endurance dungeon.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Yup, the concept is endurance dungeons, and that idea was kinda there in the Gerudo training grounds. So maybe they could expand upon that. (Btw you can get recovery hearts in CoO).

Hanyou

didn't build that
I preferred the Gerudo Training Ground anyway, as it felt like more of an actual dungeon with its own environment and atmosphere rather than just...a well. It was far less tedious and far more entertaining.

As someone else suggested, they could expand upon it. But the fact is Ocarina already has its own extra dungeon, and I consider it superior to the Cave of Ordeals.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Honestly, that whole Cave of Ordeals thing never appealed to me all that much. It was just fighting enemies, with no rhyme or reason. I prefer fighting enemies in a specific context in order to go somewhere... not just fighting for the sake of fighting.

I do like the rewards you get for beating the Cave, don't get me wrong... but I think it's little more than an excuse for not putting in a real sidequest. Honestly, if you're a good Zelda player, you can avoid taking damage to the point that beating the Cave is extremely easy.

Let me put it this way... I'm not a fan of frustration, but those caves are too easy even for someone like me. If they add something to OoT, I would prefer it to be something fairly interesting. Honestly, I'd kind of like to see the Picto Box in OoT, and some kind of mini-game associated with it.

Or better yet, give us a way to beat the running man in Hyrule Field.

Dabombster

Do the thing
Site Staff
I have to agree with Hanyou here. The cave of ordeals was fun and all, but it was little more than a 'fight until you die' kind of thing. The Gerudo Training Grounds required much more planning, knowing how many keys you needed, how to get the keys, etc. So I suppose I also consider the Gerudo Training Grounds superior to the Cave of Ordeals. With this already in Ocarina of Time, I see no need for them adding in something similar to the Cave of Ordeals.

David

But you called me here...
I love the idea of an endurance dungeon. I love playing through them multiple times. But I also love the Gerudo Training grounds. The fact that there is an entire extra dungeon in OoT is pretty awesome. Not only do you kill enemies, but you have to solve puzzles and if you don't have the right items, you can't continue. I think it would be cool to combine the two.

I have to agree with Hanyou here. The cave of ordeals was fun and all, but it was little more than a 'fight until you die' kind of thing. The Gerudo Training Grounds required much more planning, knowing how many keys you needed, how to get the keys, etc. So I suppose I also consider the Gerudo Training Grounds superior to the Cave of Ordeals. With this already in Ocarina of Time, I see no need for them adding in something similar to the Cave of Ordeals.

The whole point of adding a new sidequest to the remake is to add more variety. I do like the cave of ordeals and many others do. Sure, it does not require any planning or strategy but that's the point. The entire dungeon is meant to challenge the player solely in combat. Adding a sidequest like this not only would be a nice way to have fun just by battling this foes, but it would be a nice way to add new rewards and too use any new sword techniques Link will surely learn. Zelda is not heavy combat based, the whole purpose of this kind of dungeons is to provide the player the opportunity to focus solely on combat. Also it would add more diverse and longevity to the game. OoT is more than a decade old, they cannot just make a straight port, they need to add some new stuff to make the game feel more diverse. A cave of ordeals type of dungeon is perfect because it does not affect the game design at all, because is completely optional and unrelated to the plot.

I love the idea of an endurance dungeon. I love playing through them multiple times. But I also love the Gerudo Training grounds. The fact that there is an entire extra dungeon in OoT is pretty awesome. Not only do you kill enemies, but you have to solve puzzles and if you don't have the right items, you can't continue. I think it would be cool to combine the two.

I love that dungeon, it felt very diverse, but the whole purpose of adding an endurance dungeon is because there's not one in OoT. And the game already has the Gerudo Training Grounds, so by adding an endurance dungeon the game is adding more variety. So players that would only like to battle enemies would have their own dungeon and the other ones that would like a more complex dungeon have the Training Grounds, and for the fans that love both, everybody is happy!

Keep in mind this is a remake, Nintendo needs to add more stuff and secrets to make the game more interesting and to actually make you feel surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom