• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Technology in Skyward Sword.

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
I've checked and there isn't a thread like this already.

In the SS trailers, I have noticed (and I'm sure everyone else has also) that technology plays quite a big part in the game.
First up take the beetle. It is basicly a remote controlled plane that can pick up/drop items. Unless it's magic, then that is surly mechanical. The next thing I noticed is how the mecha-hats (I think they are named) and the mecha-totem poles blatantly have electronic components inside of them. If you see how the spark and let off burst of electricity when they are defeated proves my point. Also the dungeon they are in is very mechanical as the colour scheme used for it has lots of blue and yellow, colours that are connected with electricity, and (i'm guessing) there are "hovering mine-carts" that travle along tracks made of some kind of laser.
My last bit of proof is the way Phi (for those of you who don't know Phi, she is the girl in the first bit of SS artwork, and for those of you who don't know about the artwork, you need to stop living under rocks) speaks. It is as if she is a computer analyzing something. You can see this if you watch a gameplay video of the E3 temple demo. The way she speaks also reminds me of the way the information is given to you in the Metroid Prime trilogy when you scan something.

All-in-all, judging from what we have seen, I think that technology plays a huge part in the game and to settle all those theoriests (and that inevitable person) from saying "Where's it all got to in the later games?" I believe that the technology is Skyloftian and gets lost in the centuries that pass between SS and OoT. Thanks for reading this post, and discuss! <(-'w'-)>

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I'm really looking forward to the electrical/mechanical dungeon..

Maybe they could even make it like in ''Warrior Within'' where there are two towers..
A garden tower and a mechanical tower..
And when you have activated the switches that control the water flow in both towers, The door to the boss opens up.. :D

But I don't think tech plays a huge part in the game.. Maybe parts of the game.. But who knows every Zelda game has had a big key gameplay element. WW had the great sea, OoT had time travel, MM three day cycle maybe SS has a combination with the great are above the clouds and then like you say technology.

yes i think technology will play a big role like you said and i think its gunna be a good aspect.as of right now ss doesnt feel like theres a lot of technology and still has that magical feel..as for theorists technology DOESNT play ANY role in the zelda timeline

Hmm...
I suppose the beetle could be some Skyloftian technology that is ost in the ages. I only hope they dont take over the game with it. The technological dungeon, the beetle and maybe some more but I don't want the game entirely surrounded by technology. Although, the hookshot isnt exactly basic XD.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
The Technology was probably more magical enhanced rater than being mechanical.

Seeing the technology from game to game, it seems that as the series progresses, magic is slowly being overshadowed and forgotten with more technological items.
The beetle is probably a total mechanical item that will come in handy and other items I've seen so far in the game have either magic within them, or they are magic-enhanced.

We'll probably see the start of the "Fall of Magic" in SS. As OoT follows after this tale.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
K4, OoT is a pretty magic-heavy game if you ask me. Not the most magic inclusive, but one of the more noticeable ones.

The beetle has got to be mechanized. Maybe a little bit controlled by magic, but nowhere near its mechlike insides. The Bow pretty much is a machine that doesn't run by itself, as is the shield and sword. Several other items could appear that are more mechanized than others, though I hope we do get our fair share of magical items as we can see that Ghirahim clearly has at least a foothold on magical abilities.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
None of the items in this game seem to be run by magic.

The bombs, bow, slingshot and beetle don't look magically powered. I don't think the magnetic glove/hookshot and digging tools will be either, and the whip seems to be a form of advanced tech.

M

monkeyguy3

I like the fact that technology is being implemented more and more into Zelda. I'd love for them to design the games so that they just border on steampunk. For instance, I thought that the spinner in Twilight Princess was such a fantastic idea. I'm loving technological items with that "exposed gears" aesthetic. I think the beetle will be a super fun item.

Speaking of items such as the beetle, another thing worthy of thought is that the whole "upgrade system" that they're talking about in Skyward Sword may come into play with the topic of technology. Think about it... If we're going to be constantly upgrading items, I'm sure there will be some cool technological aspects to the game. Or at least I hope there are! I don't want lame upgrades!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom