• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Technological Precursors

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
Forum Volunteer
I would like to start off by saying this is Not a timeline discussion. Please if I hear a "but cleeeeearly it's in the dt so your opinion is invalid" imma flip. Assume for this thread the timelines merged.
I've been going through tp recently and just finished the temple of time, obtaining the dominion rod. The dominion rod is able to control statues by throwing an orb of green energy at them and filling them with said energy. Anyone see where I'm going here? I believe that the energy we see within the dominion rod may be an early harnessed source of the energy we've seen in botw 2 trailers. Following this same thought, the dominion rod could be a very early stage of sheikah technology. When the rod loses its power, it becomes dark browns and blacks similar to the sheikah tech in botw.
Another thing to think about is the energy itself. I find it interesting to note that the dominion rod in able to possess inanimate objects in th same way as ganon malice. Perhaps this can speak to the nature of the green energy, perhaps if malice is pure hatred green stuff is pure good or something, a counter balance that acts in a similar manner.
Any thoughts on this, whether it be the energy, the origins of the rod, or other technologies in the series? Just no timeline stuff, I beg you.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
There's definitely a possible connection. I think our best bet might be to start with the Zelda multiverse theory. Not really sure what to do next.

Actually, what if the Dominion Rod is more of a prototype product rather than an early technology? There's not really any sort of remote control with the Sheikah tech in BotW, the closest we really get is Magnesis and Stasis. What if the Dominion Rod was a prototype for remote control-sis?

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
Forum Volunteer
There's definitely a possible connection. I think our best bet might be to start with the Zelda multiverse theory. Not really sure what to do next.

Actually, what if the Dominion Rod is more of a prototype product rather than an early technology? There's not really any sort of remote control with the Sheikah tech in BotW, the closest we really get is Magnesis and Stasis. What if the Dominion Rod was a prototype for remote control-sis?
It des seem to fit with the sheikah design staple of "let's make something seemingly impossible and fairly impractical", I dont know why they ever thought the hero would need cryonis to defeat calamity ganon. But anyway, I find it odd to think that they would have ditched the technology all together. If it was an early prototype, one would think there would be more things like it in their later inventions. Stopping time and lifting metal objects are a far cry from possessing statues. Perhaps they simply found it to be impractical, since controlling things through machinery wouldn't require a rod wielding hylian for the guardians to mimic.
Another botw 2 connection I just thought of- dominion rod was made by the ooccoo, the sky people.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
It des seem to fit with the sheikah design staple of "let's make something seemingly impossible and fairly impractical", I dont know why they ever thought the hero would need cryonis to defeat calamity ganon. But anyway, I find it odd to think that they would have ditched the technology all together. If it was an early prototype, one would think there would be more things like it in their later inventions. Stopping time and lifting metal objects are a far cry from possessing statues. Perhaps they simply found it to be impractical, since controlling things through machinery wouldn't require a rod wielding hylian for the guardians to mimic.
Another botw 2 connection I just thought of- dominion rod was made by the ooccoo, the sky people.
Imagine if you had a rune similar to that that allowed you to temporarily control Guardians tho.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
what if

and hear me out here
I know this is a stretch
so bear with me

what if
shiekah existed before breath of the wild- before the timeline split even
and we had evidence of strangely advanced technology in multiple timeline splits
like the adult timeline

would that be too crazy
or could this thread not have to imply wrong timeline interpretations to exist

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
what if

and hear me out here
I know this is a stretch
so bear with me

what if
shiekah existed before breath of the wild- before the timeline split even
and we had evidence of strangely advanced technology in multiple timeline splits
like the adult timeline

would that be too crazy
or could this thread not have to imply wrong timeline interpretations to exist
Yeah, and what if they had prototype technologies. Crazy idea.

I definitely think it's worth looking into what the force that the dominion rod actually is. Of course what we know about the dominion rod is that it was made by ooccoo. The ooccoo were people who considered themselves closest to the Gods for staying in the sky. That sounds eerily close to some snide attitude the Ikana's had towards their Gods. The ooccoo people mightve gotten punished for that and is now why they retain their chicken form.

Anyway, what we know about rods in zelda is that they harness elements. We could assume that the ooccoo being wind people, would naturally harness the wind into a magic and use it's powers to possess. What's more interesting is what that could imply how Farrore's spirit, the spirit of the hero, can possess any young lad to become the hero the world needs. Furthermore, the power of wind in the form of the Dominion Rod wouldn't be the first time we would have seen Farrore's power in the form of magic. We see it in OoT as "Farrore's wind".

Last edited:
We can also observe the power of wind being able to possess objects in the tower of the gods (WW). The tool conducting the magic is, of course, the wind waker. The power of wind has also been noted to be used for evil when we look at the Minnish, Vaati who is a wind mage. That might imply that dark Links could be created through wind magic? The power of wind definitely is used in the Dominion Rod and other tools as well usually depicting a green aura. It very well may be that the magic holding the creature BoTW2 is through wind magic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom