• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legend of Zelda Swordless Run?

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
You know how some people do a three heart run in Zelda games? Well, I was wondering if it was even possible to do a swordless run for the original Legend of Zelda. Well? Is it?

Probably impossible because in most games, a sword is required to leave the start area. Like in WW u need the sword to get through the bushes. In OOT you need the kokiri sword to get past mido. In some games, like MM, you start out with a sword. It is probably plausible for the origional NES legend of zelda though.

Beeker

Wild Card
The only way I can imagine a swordless run is if you never touch the sword's button. But other than that, impossible. Like Fireslayr said, most games you need at least a starter sword to proceed with the story/game. I don't think you can lose that sword either. Shields however are easier to do a run without.
The first game, you could possibly do a swordless run somehow, though I'm not too sure how you could go through the dungeons as well as collect rupees. :/

The only way I can imagine a swordless run is if you never touch the sword's button. But other than that, impossible. Like Fireslayr said, most games you need at least a starter sword to proceed with the story/game. I don't think you can lose that sword either. Shields however are easier to do a run without.
The first game, you could possibly do a swordless run somehow, though I'm not too sure how you could go through the dungeons as well as collect rupees. :/

You COULD use the candle/magic rod as an alternative.

Essentially, you can get through most of Zelda 1 without a sword. You really only need a sword for the fight against Ganon. All you need to do to do that is find a secret rupee place that you don't need bombs or the candle to get to, then buy some bombs. After that, you just go on in the game.

MW7

Essentially, you can get through most of Zelda 1 without a sword. You really only need a sword for the fight against Ganon. All you need to do to do that is find a secret rupee place that you don't need bombs or the candle to get to, then buy some bombs. After that, you just go on in the game.
Yes it is possible. I think I found a video on Youtube of someone doing it. Reaca is also right about only needing the sword for the Ganon fight. Basically I think you count it as a successful run if you reach Ganon without ever picking up the sword. The people that can pull this off are absurdly good with bombs, and another thing is that you can use the magic rod as a "sword" by directing hitting enemies with it rather than using the magic projectile (but this still doesn't work against Ganon I believe).

Last edited:
It is possible. It's extremely difficult, but possible until Ganon. First people get all of the hidden rupees that can be obtained without a candle or bombs, which equals 60 or 70 rupees, enough to buy the candle, then they kill things with it until they get bombs, and then they get the bow and arrow, and those are their weapons for most of the game until they get the magic rod. If you want proof, here's a video of a guy doing the second quest swordless. He has a whole series, so you can watch the whole thing if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LwBqn3Hox0

geek4887

The Unknown
Well, I guess you could use the other weapons, but judging by the extreme difficulty TLoZ sets with a sword, it would be nearly impossible.

JasonXP

Its a Secret to Everybody
I've done a swordless run of LoZ Second Quest except for the last dungeon (dungeon 9). You have to find hidden rupee locations, buy thr candle, get bombs, and basically grind for rupees until you can buy the blue ring, maical shield, etc. From there the idea is to finish level one (easy) get the recorder from level two, use it to enter level six, (not so easy) and get the magical rod. From there the game runs basically as if you had the white sword. Not too bad.

G

Guy in Green

i'm pretty sure it's possible, but i think there aren't many items that you get early on in the game that are effective against enemies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom