• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sweepers

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
For the really competitive players, who do you prefer to use as a sweep?

I'm personally a fan of a Dragon Dance Gyarados sweep that uses (Bounce, Waterfall, Dragon Dance and Stone Edge)
In addition I use Choice Scarf Tyranitar and Flygon to do some scouting and potentially come in for a late sweep.

I'd like to hear some strategies. I've seen some baton pass teams work, and some stall-breaker sweepers that can decimate an entire team.

Kybyrian

Try explaining what a sweeper is, please? It would really help.

This.

My favorite sweeper of all time is Togekiss. That's why I used Togekiss as an example in the competitive info thread. It works perfectly as part of a Baton Pass combination. You'll see that my profile picture is of Togekiss and the caption is flinch, which is very appropriate. I've always had a thing for Togekiss.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Serene Grace
Calm
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
Air Slash
Thunder Wave
Flamethrower / Nasty Plot
Roost​

I've been using this exact set since last generation... and it's served me so well. Togekiss may not seem like it has the speed to sweep through a team at all at first, but with a massive amount of defense coupled with TWave and an extraordinary Special Attack stat, it's possible with relative ease. What I like to do is baton pass Acid Armor from a bulky Vaporeon beforehand, which makes Togekiss able to take both Special and Physical attacks with impunity.

From there the rest is easy picking... Air Slash in combination with Paralysis and Serene Grace give you a 70% chance to prevent your opponent from retaliating. If they do, it's brushed off with Roost after a couple shots, which can even be strategically used to eliminate some weaknesses and give you even greater resistance on the same turn.

Last edited:

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
Right Now I am using a Bulky Gyara and pairing it with either a Agili gross, tailwind tornadus or aRage Powder Amoonguss. These diferent pairings allow me to get off a couple of Dragon Dances so that from their Gyarados can sweep without any help needed. Another pair I have been using but hasnt worked as well was a Agiligross Tornadus combo so that Agili gross rather then use Agility can use Tornadus's Tailwind boost.

Dabombster

Do the thing
Site Staff
Jolteon @ Life Orb
Volt Absorb
Timid
4 SpD / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Ice
Charge Beam

I've always been a fan of the Eevee evolution line and Jolteon is a powerhouse. Bring him in on a weakened poke to finish it off with Charge Beam and boost his Special Attack at the same time. After one boost, Jolteon can effectively sweep most teams with his Life Orb. Thunderbolt is my main STAB attack and provides good neutral damage against 11 of the 17 different typings. Three of the four that resist Thunderbolt (Grass/Ground/Dragon) are easily handled with HP Ice. Shadow Ball is mainly a filler and allows Jolteon to hit some of the more pesky ghost types like Gengar for a OHKO. If you don't want the Special Attack Boost you could replace Charge Beam with Rain Dance and Thunderbolt with Thunder for a little more STAB damage, but Jolteon is very fragile and doesn't get an opportunity to set up, so I prefer this method.

Z

ZeldaSentai

I like Ursaring
Ability - Quick Feet
Item - Toxic orb
Moveset:
-Facade
-Sword Dance
-Earthquake
-Close Combat

and Azelf

-Nasty plot
-Psychic
-Grass knot
-If it can learn recover it would be perfect

I like quiver dance volcarona with silver wind, bug buzz, and heat wave/flamethrower and silverpowder
for the item you can get him in bw at the very end of the relic castle

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
I like quiver dance volcarona with silver wind, bug buzz, and heat wave/flamethrower and silverpowder
for the item you can get him in bw at the very end of the relic castle

I've seen people try to setup a sweep with Volcarona, and I'm not sure if it's just me or the way my team works out, but I end up stopping the sweep 99% of the time. I've seen Venomoth do a better job with Quiver Dance than Volcarona.

Dracoburn

Lance's Protégé
Dragon Dance Moxiedos, Solarzard, Accuracy Boosted DE Gengar/Big Root Drain Gengar, Mixed Attacking Garchomp, Guts Ursaring, any dragon type.

To setup my Sweeper I firstly use Venomoth to raise it's Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Speed and evasiveness stats using Quiver Dance and Double Team. To make this work smoothly I have it use Sleep Powder first to stop the opponent from attacking. Then I baton Pass the stat increase to a sweeper, like my Alakazam.

Last edited:

Dracoburn

Lance's Protégé
To setup my Sweeper I firstly use Venomoth to raise it's Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, Speed and evasiveness stats using Quiver Dance and Double Team. To make this work smoothly I have it use Sleep Powder first to stop the opponent from attacking. Then I baton Pass the stat increase to a sweeper, like my Alakazam.

This also works really well with Ninjask, because it has Speed Boost, Protect, Double Team, Hone Claws and Substitute at its disposal and you can make something that would normally be REALLY slow, squishy or just anything that would need additional backup to work to its max extremelly difficult to battle. Think of a Rock Head/Head Smash Aggron at Choice Scarf speed that hits really hard and accurately, dodges every hit and has a Substitute just in case one DOES land.. *shudder*

I've seen people try to setup a sweep with Volcarona, and I'm not sure if it's just me or the way my team works out, but I end up stopping the sweep 99% of the time. I've seen Venomoth do a better job with Quiver Dance than Volcarona.

i can usually set it up it just involves the right team set -up or placement in triple-battles.
guess i should try using venomoth instead.

MarkaenShoque92

Hero of Hoenn
I personally favor Scizor when playing on Pokemon Online. Whether I use Choice Band or Sword Dance to power up, Scizor can easily take down opponents using Technician-empowered Pursuit, Bullet Punch, or Bug Bite (and in the Choice set, I would use U-turn to be able to flee quickly). Besides, Scizor looks too awesome not to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom