• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Strangest Zelda Characters

Conor

the over analysing guy
What do you mean by that linkthewolf? the only similar trait I can think of is that they're hunched over, this is off of the top of my head though, I guess they have a similair face, too.

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Hyrule in the winter, Canada in the summer
Speaking of Guru Guru...he makes awesome music...but why does he just sit inside a windmill all day or is out talking about the circus in mm? In the regards that he only played the Song of Storms and never anything else, he either has very strict music taste or just can't stop :) I would have to say that the guy who collected poes in both OoT and MM was pretty sketch too...

Big Octo

=^)
I agree with much of the characters already stated. Tingle is a rupee-pinching con artist, the Happy Mask Salesman is simply maniacal, and Guru-Guru is very strange figure.

But I'd like to draw your attention on a character that has not been mentioned, Error.
Error.png

Few characters have been so vague and so strange as this man from The Adventure of Link. With his infamous message "I AM ERROR," many players don't know what to expect from him. Whether he's a regular towns person, or even an glitch in the game indicated by his message, he still seems like a strange figure to many.

It turns out that another man in the Harbor Town of Mido refers you to Error, and when you speak to him, he'll reveal the entrance to the Island Palace. This reveals that Error has some degree of minor, optional plot significance. Nonetheless, he is one of the weirdest characters in the series.

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Ah yes, Error....I think I posted a thread about him. In regards to the name, it could be an actual programming mess up, however the popular theory is his real name was mistranslated by american translators. Some people believe his name is Errol, Arole or Eoder. Again, this is just theory and it adds to the oddity of the character. Nintendo has never really said much about him either....

Conor

the over analysing guy
Speaking of Guru Guru...he makes awesome music...but why does he just sit inside a windmill all day or is out talking about the circus in mm? In the regards that he only played the Song of Storms and never anything else, he either has very strict music taste or just can't stop :) I would have to say that the guy who collected poes in both OoT and MM was pretty sketch too...
He's always bewildered me, has old guru guru, in OoT3DS he has various bookshelves and stuff, a lot of characters in Ocarina of time are mysterious, always made me wish for more content in the game, Majora's mask did this well.

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
I am definatly in agreement with you on Nintendo providing shady backgrounds on the majority of the NPC characters in both Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time. Although highly improbable, do you think the stories of these characters might be explained better in a future game or some sort of add on/easter egg? Speaking of Majora's Mask, I always found that the Professor in the Astral Observatory to be a little odd....hmm...

Conor

the over analysing guy
I think it's possible, but maybe in not as much of a direct way, the woman in the fishing hole is a good example, you see a picture of the ocarina of time fishing hole man, and there are signs that he's an ancestor. As for the astronomer (Mr. Miyagi in my eyes) he is an interesting fellow, he's more explained in majora's mask, an astronomer, in Ocarina of time however he's just an old man that knows quite a lot, this is a theme with a lot of characters in their transition between the two titles, in a sense this gives Ocarina of time more of a sense of mystery.

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Yeah, I also felt that the characters took on a more life like connection in Majora's Mask...where as Ocarina of Time definatly had a mysterious aspect to them. Did you feel the more game to world connection with MM characters as opposed to OoT's? Maybe the stranger characters in MM forced us to look deeper and could be the base of the connection? Could this be the reason why Nintendo leaves the origins of theses odd characters unexplained? Do they want us to make more links with the games? What do you think?

Jedizora

:right:
Actually, Error might be a pun, by nintendo. One person mentions Error later in the game, he is known as Bagu, which is how you spell Bug in Japanese, but translated literally.
The strangest I think, is Guru Guru. In him MM self more so, as his boss used to be a dog, if I remember correctly.

Conor

the over analysing guy
Well I can't make an absolute judgement as I'm currently in the middle of my first playthrough of Majora's Mask, when I know almost every little detail of Ocarina of Time. I personally don't think there's much of a connection between their OoT and MM personalities, apart from a select few (the marine researcher, happy mask salesman, the carpenters, possibly others I've yet to encounter) but none of them besides the happy mask salesman are the same people. It's not just limited to these game either, Minish Cap in particular had a lot of characters from Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask, I remember Dampe and Gorman making an appearance, Gorman is most confusing though as he's supposed to be from Termina, in general I just think they like throwing in the odd reference to older games, to make more loyal fans feel special, and say "ahhh I remember him"

EDIT: and Jedizora I think I've heard somewhere before that his name was supposed to be "Erron" but somebody messed up along the line, citation needed, though.

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Ok, lets look at Ruto from OoT. Did she not strike you as a bratty, possesive and creepy Zora girl who wanted to marry Link? ( I am talking about the younger Ruto in this sense) Is Nintendo trying to promote diversity between Hyrule's races or create some bizzare Hylian-Zora hybrid children? And why would a Zora fall in love with a human? Just for saving her? Do you honestly believe Nintendo was going to base the love story off of something as little as that?

ruto.jpg

Conor

the over analysing guy
Well I wouldn't say that's a little thing exactly, as link is the main character very female must fancy him, it's like an unwritten law :lol:

Pierre, the talking scarecrow(s) from both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, is quite strange. He can practically "warp" to many places around Hyrule (and Termina) that even Link can't reach. Heck, his whole premise is just odd. :S

Also, there's these two:

200px-Falbi.png
200px-Fyer.png

Falbi (left) Fyer (right)
Twilight Princess
:thinking: Hmm, where do I start...?

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
i always thought that the guy in the bathroom of the inn in MM was creepy
This was the first character that came to mind after seeing the title of this thread. I mean, there are several strange characters in the series, but I come on... this guy lives in the toilet. Pretty sure that takes the cake for being strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom