• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Steampunk Hyrule in ZeldaU?

I've been turning this idea over in my head for a while. ZeldaU takes place hundreds of years after Spirit Tracks, on the new continent. A new Hyrule has been built, and as time passes, technology progresses.

Obviously, hardly anyone wants to play a modern-day Zelda, but I think steampunk would be something new, but not too different--we've already seen it in the Lanayru Mining Facility, all of ST, the City in the Sky from TP, etc etc. It could be styled like Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky.

I've dreamt up a lot of ideas relating to the steampunk topic, including new modes of steampunky transportation, etc. You can read my ideas here: Dungeon Gaming Network - HatredHazard - Blogs if any of you care.

Overall, I think steampunk would be a great departure from the European medieval tradition, without feeling too weird. It think it's a very diverse theme that could open up cool new item/transportation/character design/gameplay possibilities. Of course, not every place in the game has to be steampunky, there could be underdeveloped towns, and lots of nature as usual. Steampunk works greats with fantasy, we've seen that countless times in movies and other games.

So what do you think?

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
I think it's an interesting idea... but there are several problems to it. Link should ALWAYS fight with a sword, and... if the game took place in that era, he'd have to have a gun. That just isn't Zelda. Your blog had some nice ideas, though, such as marketplace brawls or fights atop trains. I think Termina's level of technology was as far as things should go(they were easily advanced enough to have trains).

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
It would be interesting, but ultimately it would probably piss too many fans off for straying away from the original concept. Oh...Spirit Tracks. The game wasn't bad, although the train felt like a bit of a gimmick to me, but fun, but I would not like for Nintendo to take it a step further.

But if they do it and pull it off, then I will definitely change my mind. :)

I think it's an interesting idea... but there are several problems to it. Link should ALWAYS fight with a sword, and... if the game took place in that era, he'd have to have a gun. That just isn't Zelda. Your blog had some nice ideas, though, such as marketplace brawls or fights atop trains. I think Termina's level of technology was as far as things should go(they were easily advanced enough to have trains).
On the contrary, many swords 'n sorcery era games incorporate steampunk, most notably Final Fantasy. Steampunk=/= guns

Guns probably wouldn't replace swords as the preferred melee combat weapon (so, Link would still wield a sword). The guns of old days weren't anything like todays, they took forever to load and fire, and they weren't nearly as lethal. So guns can be part of the game, maybe wielded by enemies or Hyrule's soliders, OR we could just not have guns at all (as RegalBryant said, steampunk doesn't necessarily mean guns). I for one think the crossbow is a much more steampunky long-distance weapon.

it could be an interesting idea, one of the Zelda games has a train and some have steam ships so why not other technological do-wickies ?

i like Steampunk stuff but i dont think it belongs in Zelda wholesale, elements are fine here and there but complete steampunk i think would be a bit over kill for Zelda.

The Beetle in SS was meant to be a rocket powered glove, which to me, smack of steampunk but nintendo felt the need to take it out. SS also had crude little robots, scervo and more than enough opportunity to put more steampunk elements in there but they seemed to not want to go that route. Valley of the Flood, the fake WW prequel seemed to want to go the steampunk route if it had been real.

What i'd like to see in Zelda is more of a TP style grandness to the architecture i think it suits Zelda better than an off the bat Steampunk style one.

Deeds

no text
I agree with the majority of those posting on this thread, that zelda wouldn't suit the steam punk style, for me. Seeing as LoZ is more fantasy based, and less machine - I'd like it to stay that way. Of course, Nintendo could pull it off, but I'd prefer if they kept with there old ways (in these terms).

Hell, I have an open mind and would love for steampunk in a Zelda game, it would be nice to see a new art direction that isn't a hybrid of Ocarina of Time. Its the reason I loved Wind Waker so much, so steampunk away! I think what most people learned from say, the Final Fantasy franchise, you can always change the setting and the technology but somehow they still manage to keep the fantasy setting.
You can fit magic into a modern world or even a steampunk world, you just have to try hard to find different ways to implement it into a universe like Zelda. It pains me that most fans aren't open to new ideas and in exchange, settle for small changes. It isn't how you move a franchise forward.

Its kind of like how everyone hated Wind Waker for its art style, everyone was too hard for that ugly Spaceworld demo. Not a lot of people noticed how different Wind Waker was in an atmospheric sense.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Steampunk is something I have thought of and I think if Nintendo did it right it could work!

To be honest though am not into Zelda games always swithcing graphical styles... And I've wanted a realistic HD Zelda for a long time! Now that Nintendocan finnally give us the high powered HD graphics they would be stupid not to use it. I know graphics dont make a game but I think they are very important to Zelda, TP gave us some spectacular veiws like Lake Hylia, The Zora Domain and the Hurule Castle, the graphics I. TP gave it more of a sense that you were in the game and it was all real a d it made the cutscenes look even more special:)

If a tech demo made for 2011's E3 could look that good then I cant even begin to imagine how good the Wii U Zelda will look!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
TP bordered on steampunk at times, with the mechanical canon and Rusl's bazooka. But it was not a true steampunk Hyrule. Steampunk is definatley something Nintendo could go into and make it work very well. I imagine such a Hyrule could exist after TP and FSA sometime, after the sealing of Ganon there would be a time for technological advancement. Another place on the timeline a steampunk NEW Hyrule could exist. With Spirit Tracks they already had a train so in a few more years New Hyrule could become quite the advanced civilisation.

I do indeed like the medieval setting, but a change of setting is usually a refreshing departure from the game before and with SS's pre civilisation Hyrule a more advanced society could be that change that is made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom