• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler SSB Melee's Intro and What It Reveals

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Something interesting came to me when I was playing Melee today. I was watching the intro, I had thought that it seemed like a waste to put some of these scenes in for the sole purpose of the intro. Then it hits me: what if these were supposed to originally be scenes in the adventure mode but had gotten removed? They had used scenes from Brawl's Adventure Mode in its intro, so it doesn't suprise me that this could be so. What I'm going to tell here is what I think the original Adventure Mode was going to be and why Nintendo removed it.

[video=youtube;5pSaZNf1CPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pSaZNf1CPc&feature=fvst[/video]

Most of the scenes I refered to already happen in the later part of the intro. The first that is like this is at about 1:15. Most of the video before this could be taken as just that character's intro, and doesn't really have any significance to the possible Adventure Mode. Anyways, this scene shows a Bowser trophy getting struck with lightning at an area that looks a lot like Final Destination. This holds significance because they left something similar to this left in there. Once you defeat Bowser in Normal level or higher, Bowser comes back as a trophy, gets struck by lightning, and becomes Giga Bowser. The scene in the intro was probably going to be the scene that led into to final boss battle which would also be Giga Bowser.

The next scene is at 1:17. We see Donkey Kong being struck with what looks similar to Mewtwo's shadow ball. This could have been something that had a similar effect the Dark Cannon had the characters. This orb probably turned the person hit into a trophy. Bowser was probably using these trophies to supply him with power. Either that or turn them into or make copies into his metal minions.

Next, at 1:18, we see Ness standing next to the Ice Climbers. This isn't overly significant, but it shows some connection between these scenes and the Adventure Mode. In the final Adventure Mode, Onett and Icicle Mountain are next to eachother in the sequence, so I'm guessing that these two (or more) go from there to the mountain.

Next is at 1:20. This is really the scene where I was starting to wonder why these types of scenes were in there. I was wondering this because Nintendo has no need to put three ships next to eachother flying off somewhere in the game Melee was like. These three ships probably are flying off to where the Battlefield and Final Destination are. This is also significant because it kind of shows what you'd be doing through the game. I'm guessing you start the game as Mario, given that the Adcventure Mode starts in Mushroom Kingdom. He somehows learns that Bowser is up to no good, as usual, so he goes around gathering allies to help him fight.

Now here's the question I had after realizing this: Why did they not do that? It would be so much better if they did it that way. Here's what I think: The levels were too short. With the final Adventure Mode, it takes about 15 min. to complete. If they had indeed left the action sequences in and merely took out the cutscenes, then you would have seemingly equal cutscene time and play time. It just seemed like a waste. So, they decided to scrap the scenes and just have you do the adventure as individual people with more trophies.

I... I don't think they were planning an adventure mode. But it would have been cool. You just can't draw comparisons for something made before Brawl.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
After seeing this I realize how much I miss this game. :/

But you know, I've always thought this as well. What are the point of some of these intro scenes? My guess was as good as yours, I always thought that there was a bigger story mode that they had taken out, also, you see some characters that don't appear in the game, like Wolf and Ridley, that seem like they could have been playable but then got removed.

Gemquarry

The Inquirer
Hey! I noticed it too! I thought it was pretty cool looking, it's too bad they didn't include it in game :(, it looked really awesome, Especially the scene with Bowser becoming Giga Bowser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom