• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Snow: Yay or Nay?

After a random SB conversation, I could hardly believe it's December already. Here is certainly doesn't feel so. Maybe I apply the stereotypical view of snow and frost too narrowly but when there is only a light draft outside I feel as though it's mid October at farthest.

You know what? I'm thankful for this weather. Snow is one of the greatest travelling impediments around. Not only does it grind nearly all traffic to a halt but defrosting your car and scrapping the snow from the driveway to get the car out is nothing short of painful. When snow begins to melt, it turns an ugly black producing a muddy liquid residue.

On the flip side, there are those who admire snow for its gentle feel upon first fall and beauty. Upon careful examination, a single snow flake is truly a sight to behold. Snow is always a versatile building substance for snowmen, snow castles, and the like or something to simply good off with whether this means engagement in snow ball fights or lying down and creating snow angels.

What are your thoughts on snow? Where do you fall on the spectrum? Feel free to share any specific experiences with us.

snowman55.jpg

Some people have never seen snow in their entire lives. I for one Love snow, it has many great uses. I remember eating snow every year, my mom tells me to wait till the 3rd snow because the first 2 snows are dirty (what ever that means). I have only made one snow man in my life because every time i get snow, it's not wet enough. Snowball fights are good, but don't play with chunks of wet snow, it hurts. The only thing i hate about the snow is the fact that i have to come in after a few hours or i'll get freeze burned.

I grew up in Florida. I moved to NY for college for 4 years. I remember well the first time I saw snow. It's extremely beautiful and for never having saw it, it was a entirely new experience for me. Even the feel of snow was something I had never experienced. Snow was always just the stuff you see on TV, you know? However, I will not miss the bitter cold. I will not miss losing control of my car and sliding all over icy roads and driving in near white out conditions. No siree. I don't want to have to shovel another driveway for the rest of my life. I'll just stay here in Florida thank you.

bunny

birb overlord
I love snow, but I have mixed feelings about it. While snow has never done anything to ruin my day, it has on several occasions for a few of my family members.

First, my dad. My dad is the manager at my church, so when it snows, it's his duty to plow the parking lot. Now, we don't have one of those tiny rinky-dink churches. It's a BIG church with a BIG parking lot. Not to mention, he also has to plow the sidewalks. This has kept him at work late for many years. He always comes home very exhausted in the winter. I feel bad for the guy. Especially when the day after he gets all that snow outta of the way, more comes back. And oh glob, when there is a blizzard, you can just see the horror on his face. ._.

Now, my mom. I recall an occasion when she didn't come home until close to 9:30 PM. She usually gets home at 5:00 PM. Why was she so late? Snow. My mom is a bus driver and she ended up having to drive 10 mph her entire route because she wanted to be safe. The roads were really slick that day, and she wasn't taking her chances. Needless to say, my mom has a pretty bright passion for hatred of snow, now.

As for my brother and sister, they just don't like snow because driving. They have to scrap off the frost and snow on their windows, and they have to drive slowly on the roads that haven't been plowed yet.

I have always had fond memories of snow. I remember how excited I used to get when it would start snowing. In fact, I still get a little excited when I see the first snow of the year. I am quite certain that I'm the only one in my family who doesn't have something against snow. I haven't gotten the chance to drive in it yet, so we'll see this year...

Hachi

Happy Valentines Day!
In the wise words of an infamous Team Rocket member..

snowsnowiloveitso.gif

"Snow, snow, I love it so!"

I live in Colorado now, so I get to enjoy it a good amount usually, though I can't help but feel like the folks here take it for granted. I was born in California, and for 6 horrible years I didn't get to experience it until I was 7. Finally on my first year in Colorado they had the first white Christmas in 25 years, and we've had several since. <3

I love the the atmosphere that snow creates, how quite and calm everything seems, especially at night when it lights the world up as though the it was the middle of the day. There is nothing like it!

I am NOT a fan of driving in it, I'm -that person- who is going 20 MPH just in case because my car is pretty light-weight.

But as long as me and the ones I love are home safe and sound while it's snowing, I love it. :)

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
Im a Native Coloradan, born and raised in the mountains and I think snow is the greatest thing ever. Which means I die a little every year that I live in one of the places here that gets very very very little snow. During a freak year we might get a few good dumps... but on average we get just a few inches. FML....

Hachi

Happy Valentines Day!
Im a Native Coloradan, born and raised in the mountains and I think snow is the greatest thing ever. Which means I die a little every year that I live in one of the places here that gets very very very little snow. During a freak year we might get a few good dumps... but on average we get just a few inches. FML....

I Knoooow where you live. o.o Because that's most likely where I live. 8D'' Or at least the general area.

I sometimes wish we'd get more snow, but as I said I'm frightened by driving in it so I don't think I could handle the crazy blizzards the folks in the mountains have to deal with! I like enjoying it at night and in the morning, and it being gone by noon so I can drive safely again. I just wish it would happen a little bit more often than it does...

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
I am NOT a fan of driving in it, I'm -that person- who is going 20 MPH just in case because my car is pretty light-weight.

But as long as me and the ones I love are home safe and sound while it's snowing, I love it. :)

Youre not the only one lol! Some of the people here in CO flush their brains down the toilet at the first sign of snow then get in their cars. I cant tell you how many facepalms I have made watching people drive in the snow. My dad taught me to drive on the ice and snow. He put my in a 1980 BMW 320i with a standard tranny on a steep icy hill and said "Dont roll off the side" THEN he sent me to a parking lot and said I want you to slide as much as you can and dont hit the light poles. I drive better on snow than pavement(or so Im told). Never had an accident or even an almost an accident, Ive never lost control ever. WHY? Because I fear and respect the snow. Everyone should be taught to fear and respect the snow otherwise their pants will get caught and a blood bath will ensue(name that movie reference)

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Some people have never seen snow in their entire lives.
^ This is me.

I guess I have romanticised notions about the concept of snow thanks to American movies and would like to experience it at least once (it won't be that hard as it does snow in some states here in Oz). Now that I think about it, I've seen man made snow but I don't really know if that counts or not...

Besides, if it ever did snow here where I live, it really would be an omen for Dec 21st!

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
I Knoooow where you live. o.o Because that's most likely where I live. 8D'' Or at least the general area.

I sometimes wish we'd get more snow, but as I said I'm frightened by driving in it so I don't think I could handle the crazy blizzards the folks in the mountains have to deal with! I like enjoying it at night and in the morning, and it being gone by noon so I can drive safely again. I just wish it would happen a little bit more often than it does...

OMG If you live near where I live we should totally have coffee or something!!!!

^ This is me.

I guess I have romanticised notions about the concept of snow thanks to American movies and would like to experience it at least once (it won't be that hard as it does snow in some states here in Oz). Now that I think about it, I've seen man made snow but I don't really know if that counts or not...

Besides, if it ever did snow here where I live, it really would be an omen for Dec 21st!

Here, during Christmas events and festivals, they have these machines that blow man made snow out. Kids love 'em. Doesn't replicate real snow but down here kids don't know what the real thing is like anyways so it's this big novelty. When I was a kid I thought it was pretty cool.

Djinn

and Tonic
I grew up in Florida and later moved to Georgia so I really did not encounter snow until I was 15.

..and I hated it. I really cannot stand the piles of unholy, awful, cold, wet, white crap god has sought to condemn us all by dumping it upon us from the sky. I think the plan was to kill us all with it only we were just to tenacious enough to survive it so it just happens again and again every year until finally it happens.

I like warm weather and warm places, to me snow is the ultimate expression of a really cold climate that I do not want to live in. Having to wear bundles of clothes to survive, not really being able to leave the house because driving in it is terrible and Georgia does not have any kind of system for plowing streets, etc. So all roads remain snowy and everything is closed down as a result. Snow just means that everything shuts down completely until it is finally gone. It good to play in for a little bit but a lot has to be given up for it. I'm just not a fan of wintery places in general and would rather not live in them.

Dan

After a random SB conversation, I could hardly believe it's December already. Here is certainly doesn't feel so. Maybe I apply the stereotypical view of snow and frost too narrowly but when there is only a light draft outside I feel as though it's mid October at farthest.

You know what? I'm thankful for this weather. Snow is one of the greatest travelling impediments around. Not only does it grind nearly all traffic to a halt but defrosting your car and scrapping the snow from the driveway to get the car out is nothing short of painful. When snow begins to melt, it turns an ugly black producing a muddy liquid residue.

On the flip side, there are those who admire snow for its gentle feel upon first fall and beauty. Upon careful examination, a single snow flake is truly a sight to behold. Snow is always a versatile building substance for snowmen, snow castles, and the like or something to simply good off with whether this means engagement in snow ball fights or lying down and creating snow angels.

What are your thoughts on snow? Where do you fall on the spectrum? Feel free to share any specific experiences with us.

snowman55.jpg

I know man, I can hardly believe it either, I was like "what's the date today" and saw it was the 1st and was like "....bit harsh". But yeah I am starting to feel the December chill. It's as cold as Nicole heart. (believe me that's cold, no love for this boy) Haven't had any snow yet, but when I see some I'm going to make a snow man and call it A_link_in_time. Then smash it to piece with a crowbar in hate and rage. To be fair I don't mind snow, as long as I'm inside with some hot coco, laughing at everyone outside in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom