• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Skyward Sword: What Have We Learned?

Okay so I just finished skyward sword as I am sure many of you have already. I would just like to take a couple of steps back and see what we learned now that its over.

This thread is for saying what was added to the zelda lore. As well as making connections to other games. We are here to answer the question "What exactly did skyward sword teach us about the zelda universe?". Pleas add your own ideas and thought and add to mine.

I didn't really see as much as i hoped for but i often overlook the obvious

A few things I noticed

Impa: an obvious connection to ocarina of time, or is she? We see her super young and super old. Then we see her disappear into fairy dust. So... does this mean that that the oot impa is different? or a different incarnation? Who knows.

The master sword: We learn all about the origins of it. Demises' spirit is in it Fi is in it, all cool stuff. Then they leave it in the temple in the sealed grounds, Isnt this supposta be a direct prequel to oot? So wouldnt the last place we see the master sword be the temple of time? So what becomes of that temple?

The Three Godesses: we dont really learn anything about them. But they throw a new goddess into the mix? hylia? What is she? is she to the level of the first three godesses? Or is she some kind of mini goddess?

The deku tree: Whenever I went in the tree in faron woods i couldn't help but think of the duku tree when it said "inside the great tree" but i also found it hard to believe that that becomes the deku tree. Maybe the old guy at the top of the tree becomes one with it or something? I doubt it? Also the tree of life you had to plant could be the deku tree. but i Doubt that as well.

Demise: We can assume that his hate becomes ganon, but it would have been nice to see something more strait-forward.

What did we learn about the shekiah? We didnt see the royal family form. we really didnt learn anything

All this game really did was raise more questions and it didnt make alot of connections to other games other than a few quotes. And to me that is kind of disappointing.

Sorry i asked more questions than anything. But please tell me what did I miss and what connections did you guys make?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I'm with you all the way,there really were no real straight foward connections to other games.The only thing I can think of is that since skyloft ends up going back down to the land below,that to keep peace between the other races the royal family is formed.Now Its wierd that the master sword is not left in the temple of time,but think about it what if later on it will be renamed the temple of time.I think you are right its true we didn't really learn anything from skyward sword it just made room for more questions.Also I just want to say that it was confirmed that skyward sword is a prequel to Oot (Mostly because it tells how the master sword was created) but I think of it like this:its a prequel to Oot as of now,there always could be something inbetween both games.Unless I'm wrong and I might because I think I do remember someone saying it was a Direct sequel but I'm not sure.

Yes this was a really fun game but Majora's mask remains my favorite. It had a pretty good story but nothing fantastic. There was never anything that really made me say "OOHH thats awesome!!" it was just a fun experience.

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus
Remember that the gate of time that was located at Skyward Sword's "Temple of Time" was destroyed, so it's likely this temple loses its meaning over time. The remaining gate of time is in the sealed temple, with the master sword. I reckon that it becomes the Temple of Time by the era of OoT, and castle town is built around it. Nintendo has left the door open for more games possibly before SS, and also possibly between SS and OoT (note the triforce is completely out in the open at the end of SS, but intricately locked in the Sacred Realm by OoT).

Yes it is awesome that the left the door open i agree there, but It would have been great if they closed a few. A little more fan treatment would be great, but Nintendo does not seem to focus on that these days.

J

jokekid

all i got clear from SS is that its the beginning of everything, since it represents the first link ever...
link is also directly named warrior of the goddess, and fights the "real" lord of evil, which says himself that the battle will be eternal, so yeah, the bad guy reincarnates in every zelda game in that games' bad guy (this is possible, cuz if uve read Fi's annotations, she says that his appearance differs depending on the time) and majorly reincarnates in ganondorf... (am i the only one who saw some kinda similarity between this badguy and ganondorf in the face???)

How does Demise look anything like a gerudo. I guess you can say he looks kinda like ganondorf who is a gerudo, But he really has no gerudo specific.

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus
Red hair, big nose, strange head mark (which is replaced by a jewel for the Gerudo)
I'd say he has a fair few 'Gerudo specific'

His hair was briefly black before turning into a flame-like pattern, I wouldn't really compare that to red hair. The mark on his forehead was from the sealing spike, nothing more. Big nose, well the rest of him is fairly beefy, I wouldn't call his nose unusually large for the rest of him. I would say that he has a similar look to Ganon/dorf in that he is big and brutish, but that's as far as it goes. Never mind his scaly, heart beat animated skin.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I wouldn't say Hylia was a goddess. Why? Well, first of all I feel that the plot was lolstupid. Sort of unnecessary to say that. But, everywhere where the word "goddess" was put in the text was very clearly in lower case, with a few exceptions. That shows me at least that Hylia was just a powerful human/hylian who was able to do whatever she did. As things go over time though, the Hylians of Skyloft began to worship her for some reason or another despite previously giving their allegiances to their three goddesses. So really I don't think Hylia was anything at all like a goddess, I could care less about what Zelda says near the end of the game.

Another point: They show the hylian crest before the game comes out lacking a triforce. As a zelda fan this freaks you out, my mind raced with possibilities and it got me really excited. And they hardly elaborated on it at all. They could have and should have done so much more. All im sayin.

I wouldn't say Hylia was a goddess. Why? Well, first of all I feel that the plot was lolstupid. Sort of unnecessary to say that. But, everywhere where the word "goddess" was put in the text was very clearly in lower case, with a few exceptions. That shows me at least that Hylia was just a powerful human/hylian who was able to do whatever she did. As things go over time though, the Hylians of Skyloft began to worship her for some reason or another despite previously giving their allegiances to their three goddesses. So really I don't think Hylia was anything at all like a goddess, I could care less about what Zelda says near the end of the game.

I'm sorry, but umadbro? It is not a foreign concept for a culture to revere a person of eminence as a god[dess]. That even happens [has happened] in the real world. There are even accounts of such things in Greek mythos. Hylia was entrusted her abilities by the Golden Goddesses - Din, Nayru, and Farore. She was chosen for a divine purpose, and her spirit(?) was sort of transferred to Zelda. (< tricky) She was worshipped by the inhabitants because of her blessed abilities, high spirituality, and closeness to the Golden Goddesses. This happens (has happened) in real life - throughout history. Finally, to wrap this up, you must remember the Zelda series was made in Japan, and some influence was likely drawn from their mythos and hierarchy of gods, which differ greatly from ours.

We learned that Zelda and most likely Link stay on the surface to protect the Triforce. This explains how Hyrule was formed. It also explains that the royal family are all descendants of Hylia, which is why the land is called Hyrule and the people Hylians.

The Sheikah were sworn to obey the goddess, which is why they later swear to protect the royal family.

We learn that the triforce marks in Twilight Princess were simply marks of the chosen ones.

We learned a fair deal. The only people who are disappointed are the ones who formulated exactly how the plot would tie into other games before playing. Their expectations were way too high and naturally Nintendo wanted to keep things simple.

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus
Your comment about the sealing spike is fairly redundant. Gerudo aren't born with a jewel in their head, so it makes sense that they put it there for a reason. Also about the black hair. You have to remember that he had only just reclaimed his true form. Not all changes are going to take effect immediately.

I'm well aware my sealing spike comment is redundant, that was the point. It's an obvious and simple answer, I'm glad we agree on that. My connotation was that there is really no basis for saying the jewel on a gerudo's head is related, even if Demise was a Gerudo, there's no reason to suspect this connection. I think you're reaching for evidence. His black/gray skin and scales still don't fit very well into Gerudo description, and I stand by flaming animated hair =/= red Gerudo hair.

The way I see it, Demise was clearly intended to resemble Ganondorf (I think I read somewhere that he was also 'voiced' by the same actor) and seeing as Ganondorf is a Gerudo and the Gerudo don't even get a mention in the game whilst every other major race does, Nintendo were clearly trying to tell us something. All I know is, Demise hate had to re-incarnate somehow. To re-incarnate into a race that was blessed by the Goddesses wouldn't make sense.

Yes, there is a basic resemblance in that they are both beefy and brutish, and I think Nintendo did this to help players connect that Ganon is a reincarnation of Demise, if Demise looked more like Ghirahim ( i.e.: lean, and devious) I don't think the connection would be as obvious to some players. I see no connection there that makes him Gerudo. It's heavily alluded (directly stated) that he is a demon, source of all monsters.

Was he once Gerudo in the same way that Ganon was once Ganondorf who was Gerudo? That theory is possible, but only in that it is so far on the ragged edge that it can't be proven or disproven, there just isn't enough (any) information.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
This is a wild guess, but i'm beggining to wonder that if Hylia is the Goddess of Time mentioned in MM.
I can only make three small connections on this one.
1. The Ocarina of time is passed down from generation to generation in the Royal family, eventually becoming a key to open the door of time.
2. That Hylia ordered Impa to travel trough time to aid Zelda in SS
3. Hylia states that she speaks to Link from a place at the edge of time in SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom