• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

SKYWARD SWORD, EASIEST ZELDA GAME TO DATE?

Dugeon wise I found this to be one of the easiest in Zelda games. I didn't have to look at a walkthrough once as I figured the puzzles out easily by myself. Did I get smarter or did Zelda get easier? (I'd love for it to be the first one, really!) But combat wise I'd say its the hardest out of the 3D titles. You cant rely on your shield as much, you cant spam spin attacks and you drink potions in REAL TIME.

Hmmm....I'd have to say Skyward Sword isn't that hard, but it is more challenging than the rest of the Zelda games, Not counting Zelda II because Zelda II is the hardest Zelda game IMO. Skyward Sword is definately not the easiest Zelda game, there were some points in the game that were proven to be difficult. I'd have to say Ocarina of Time was the easiest Zelda game for me.

What I really don't get is people comparing it to Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, sure it makes sense to compare Wind Waker to them since it came after but Skyward Sword was released 11 years after Majora's Mask, I honestly think it's stupid to keep using the "old games were harder" argument. How about comparing Skyward Sword to games released within a 10-year radius?

Different people find different thing harder than others, it's not stupid to compare a game to another. It really doesn't matter how long a game was made, it's still a game, and it had it's difficulties to some people. Also, people are entitled to compare a game to another regardless of how old it is, filtering people's opinions with a 10 year radius is wrong.

Last edited:

Link8150

The 8150th Link
Well considering I have played through Ocarina of Time all the way through 7 or 8 times in my life and my total death count is under 10, and my total death count for Twilight Princess and Wind Waker combined is less than 15 and I've beaten them both 3 times each, Skyward Sword is definitely not the easiest, I died 4 times in normal mode, and I've already died 5 times in Hero Mode.

Ahh if we're talking about achieving 100% completion then I agree. Wind Waker is a mammoth of a game to 100% and Twilight Princess had some cleverly hidden poes. I struggled with ONE gratitude crystal in Skyward. Just one.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
It was pretty easy for me too, but thats just because we're pretty good at Sword fighting and figuring out puzzles. It wasnt the easiest though. Easiest to 100%, maybe, but the main quest was definitaly not the easiest.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Well, I have to agree pretty much with the majority here:

Puzzle-wise, SS is the easiest Zelda I've played to date (and I've played them all except the Game&Watch, CDi, FS and DS games) and that holds true for both main quest only and 100%ing it*
That's because the game is very linear (most linear Zelda game to date IMO) and the puzzles are all self-explanatory. However, I still had my fun solving them and while I think they should have hidden some solutions a bit more, made the game less linear and Fi's interrupting scenes optional (like when you first meet the Lizalfos), I'm glad that you didn't have to burn every bush and bomb every wall to advance a small step like in the original LoZ, this way the game would've probably taken me 1000 hours to complete...

Combat-wise however, I think it's the hardest since AoL (MM might be an exception in some cases), even though that doesn't mean much because all of the Zelda games since aLttP were relatively easy in that aspect. (Not that this is a bad thing, I'd rather have a physically "easy" game that is beatable without game overs if you use your brain a little than an insanely difficult and at parts frustratingly hard game like Shadow of the Colossus, in which I never made it past the first boss or AoL where Death Mountain is to be taken literally)
Let's look into them:
- aLttP, I can beat it without problems 100% in 4 hours and no game overs (might be my almost 20 years of experience with that game which is BTW my favourite Zelda along with MM, but still one has to admit that it's rather easy). Bosses are all easy to figure out, the only things that give me occasional trouble are the Blind and Mothula battles (that's why I usually get my lvl 4 sword before going to Mothula, yay for non-linearity!), Ganon's Tower and the final battle against him, but they are all manageable with some fairies/potions and in my opinion that's how it should be like.
- OoT is even easier, even on my three heart run I died only once when I was going through the Haunted Wasteland with 2 hearts and a leever hit me (-1 heart) and by doing so that f***er pushed me off the track (another -1 heart and no fairies at that moment = game over). The final Ganon battle is actually easier than Ganondorf, all you have to do is roll under his legs and slash, you don't even need an ounce of magic to defeat him, just watch his very slow attack pattern and use your chances. I'm always using the Biggoron's Sword in the first phase though but I'm sure it also works with the hammer. Oh, and Ironknuckles who are supposed to be the hardest enemy in the game are so easy to figure out, all it tackes is the backflip/slash method. Now, if we had to face three or more at once, then THAT would've been a nice challenge!
- MM isn't that hard combat-wise either but definitely above OoT. Especially Gyorg and Igos du Ikana always nearly kill me, but the final battle can be beaten with 3 hearts and without FDM problemlessly (Château de Romani is highly recommended though)
- WW was the absolute joke when it came to combat difficulty, I never went below 3/4 of my health except in the very final battle.
- TP wasn't all that easy as WW but still not much above it. At least falling in the lava cost you 2 hearts this time around. But all the bosses were blatantly easy to figure out, just the beast form of Ganon gave me some trouble because I had a hard time lining up and timing the attack perfectly with the wolf but even that cost me 5 hearts max. The darknuts were fun to battle though, finally an enemy in a 3D Zelda that involved some strategy.

Now while I can beat all of these games without game overs easily, I had 3 in my first normal mode playthrough of SS and easily over 10 in Hero Mode until now (but all of them were in the first third of the game, once you get the heart medal things become a lot easier). Enemies finally do more damage again, comparable to the original LoZ and sometimes it's hard for me to see when a boss is just charging up for an attack so I can defend by either blocking or evading in time, especially Ghirahim III.

*By 100%ing, I don't mean collecting 99 of every insect and treasure, and not even having the full 9900 rupees, because that's just totally pointless. I mean really, collecting 99 Goddess Plumes - isn't that impossible at all because they're only found in chests and some fixed locations once? Or can you buy them from that Sheikah stone for 200 rupees each? If so then it's still quite a useless chore to grind up 20K rupees just for that. And that's only one of 16 treasures... I mean the golden skulls are (my guess) a 1:100 drop from Bokoblins, do you really want to kill ~10,000 bokoblins for that? Or those claws which I think are a 1:50 drop from keese. Or catching 99 blue feathers. Or 99 units of tumbleweed (I always was low on that). Nah, in my book 100% just means finishing every sidequest (including all gratitude crystals and goddess cubes), getting all the heart pieces, the best shield (Hylian) and all upgrades for every item at least once (beetle, shields, bow, arrow/seed/bomb bags etc.), not even setting the world record for the bamboo cutting game (what will it be, 50?) or a perfect minesweeper game, because chances for getting that perfect are, roughly estimated, in the 1:1 million ~ 1:1 billion range.

Four Swords is much easier. Granted, it is only four areas, but you didn't disqualify it in your statement. I do have to say that OoT is probably a lot easier as well.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The darknuts were fun to battle though, finally an enemy in a 3D Zelda that involved some strategy
What strategy are you speaking of? Because I found that Darknuts are completely prone to hacking and slashing while running in circles. Hit their shield, half circle, get three slashes in, rinse and repeat. No damage taken, ever.

A

Axion

I have chosen not to use dowsing. It's one of those things that's nice to have but potentially not nice to use.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
What strategy are you speaking of? Because I found that Darknuts are completely prone to hacking and slashing while running in circles. Hit their shield, half circle, get three slashes in, rinse and repeat. No damage taken, ever.
Yeah, of course that has to be taken relative to previous 3D Zelda regular enemies, which you could almost all defeat by running up to them and tapping the sword button. At least here you had to reach his back which didn't always work for me and block his kicks and sword toss. Not that difficult but little strategy is better than none.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
True, very true. However, my problem is that despite enemies even in Skyward Sword requiring quite a bit of strategy, they're still EASY as ever. I don't know what it is; maybe it's the fact that they're predictable...maybe it's the combat style...

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
No. I'm still on the first dungeon. I would be farther, but I can't play on week days. This game will not be the easiest as long as Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks exist. They were both good games, but they got easy really quickly. I even got a 3-heart, no upgrade, no bonus stuff (except for Bomb-Bag), no train parts, NO DEATHS, etc. on Spirit Tracks. I didn't get that with Phantom Hourglass because I haven't played it in a while.

J

jokekid

phantom hourglass was easier, all dungeons were straight till the end, no pause moment needed for real thinking...

100% i never really completed a zelda game 100% except WW, and it was a pain in the ***...

U

UltimaFBM

Mwahahaha, I actually got 99 of every bugs and treasure! Boring as hell to get them all though.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I really don't think Skyward Sword should be classed as the easiest Zelda game. Has anybody here played Spirit Tracks? I think the motion control makes it just that bit more difficult and some of the enemies are sufficiently harder to defeat. When I was first slashing my sword at Deku Babas and Skultulas I found it way more difficult than in Ocarina of Time where you just hit them and they die easily. Some of the techniques are more difficult, like rolling bombs into holes or throwing them as well as having to use the motion control in battles. This may not be difficult, it's just different. But I think SS is definitely more of a challenging game than others. Some of the lands and dungeons are actually quite daunting, especially when you compare them to the Toon style of Spirit Tracks, which isn't realistic.

I haven't finished the game yet, but flying the Loftwing has to be harder to do than operate a boat or a little train. Sure, there were enemies to fight on the seas and the rails but the controls require attention, as opposed to just sitting there waiting for ages. And you have to dive in the right place and use the sailcloth and whatnot. At first I didn't find the Loftwing controls overly easy, especially when Groose starts throwing stuff at you. I got the controls in the end but I still think that requires a lot more concentration.

So I played Skyward Sword, the first dungeon, and then I went to play Link's Awakening DX, the first dungeon. In SS, that first dungeon took me a couple of hours (with breaks) and the cave in Link's Awakening took me about ten minutes. Doesn't this say something? I think the enemies are a lot easier to defeat, the items are simpler and the overall dungeon isn't much of a challenge in some of the older games. But Skyward Sword is brand new and Nintendo have tried to make it a better game with new technology, ideas and design.

I'm not saying Skyward Sword isn't an overall easy game for some people. I mean, yes Fi and the Sheikah stone probably make some portions of the game quite easy. But I think the overall concept and controls make the game more difficult by great lengths then some of the older Zelda games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom